SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135380 - 01/11/07 08:29 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
You guys have GOT to learn how to embed those long URL's to make these posts easier to read. Especially older forum members like you Squeak. It's not hard... please take a minute and read the link next to the reply box that says "UBB Code is ON" for instructions. Thanks...

I think that Esh is referring to this:

NEW! You can now have true hyperlinks using the [url= code.

It is very easy to use. Read more [url=http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/ubbcode.html]here] code.

It is very easy to use. Read more [url=http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/ubbcode.html]here[/url] .

Kind regards,
Tommy

[This message has been edited by TommyF (edited 01-11-2007).]

#135381 - 01/11/07 09:18 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Here's yet another clip of text (this time taken from) Yamahasynth.com that shows the MM6 having arranger capabilities just might be true.

---------------------------------------------
The MM6 Music Synthesizer delivers all that power and more. Drawing on the same sounds of the popular pro-level MOTIF series instruments, the MM6 has a wide variety of dynamic, realistic and just plain powerful Voices to help you create amazing music. The MM6 also gives you total control over your sound, with real-time tweakable knobs, and features special Patterns that provide full backing - drums, bass and chords - for your live performance and song creation. And since the MM6 is exceptionally light and portable, you can bring it anywhere and everywhere your music takes you
--------------------------------------------

Notice is says "special patterns", and they used the term "full backing". I think that along with pattern controls also support this.

I think people here should be excited about this if it's true. A Yamaha keyboard with Motif based sound engine, real-time control, 200+ arps, 8 track sequencer, and the possibility of arranger control....
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135382 - 01/11/07 09:31 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nice features but no where near the PSR-3000's full arranger features.

Certainly not one I would consider.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#135383 - 01/11/07 09:34 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
Blazer Offline

I read it has only 32 voice poly.

Bummer huh

#135384 - 01/11/07 09:36 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Nice features but no where near the PSR-3000's full arranger features.

Certainly not one I would consider.Ian

Commmmooooonnnn......Psr S-900

#135385 - 01/11/07 09:43 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

You can't expect it to be up there with the PSR-3000. Be reasonable now. The MM6 is expected to hit the streets at only $600.00 I do feel that 32 note poly is a HUGE limitation considering the ROM is based on the Motif Classic. Plus I see no room for user sounds, and the knobs seem to be the same cheap knobs from the DJX series (which the "center stop" positions wore out really fast). If there is no room for user sounds and the knobs are the same than I can only assume there is no "visual reference" on the screen itself, rather one would rely on the physical position of the knob.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-11-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135386 - 01/11/07 10:10 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
It would be very, VERY interesting to compare the sound quality of a MM6 (L/R output, 70MB ROM) against PSR S500 (only phones output, ?MB ROM)
I hope someone of you will do such test

George

#135387 - 01/11/07 11:31 AM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
RPdigital Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:

---------------------------------------------
The MM6 Music Synthesizer delivers all that power and more. Drawing on the same sounds of the popular pro-level MOTIF series instruments, the MM6 has a wide variety of dynamic, realistic and just plain powerful Voices to help you create amazing music. The MM6 also gives you total control over your sound, with real-time tweakable knobs, and features special Patterns that provide full backing - drums, bass and chords - for your live performance and song creation. And since the MM6 is exceptionally light and portable, you can bring it anywhere and everywhere your music takes you
--------------------------------------------

The "Patterns" are what the Yamaha means by phrases. The new S500 and MM6 keyboards feature 9-track sequencers where 8 tracks are for events and 9th tracks is for chords. I guess composing using these phrases will give you also harmony progressions and what it is called "full backing".

The tweakable knobs are used in Roland's Juno-D and Juno-G models for changing patch ADSR envelope, tone balance and LFO filter. I guess Yamaha does the same. I still think MM6 is low-end workstation, not the arranger. And as PSR-S500 already is the new low-end arranger, it doesn't make sense to market two low-end arrangers at the same time. Or does it?

#135388 - 01/11/07 12:47 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
squeak_D Offline

What you're missing is that the MM6 is stated as having an "easy chord function". I'm well aware of Yammies use of "phrases". This type of setup is used in the the Yamaha QY series for example.

I know the Juno series well too. Actually I know synths in general well. The reason I say "arranger" is because the MM6 has a button under the pattern control for "Fingered" which I would assume utilizes the "easy chord feature". It also has other arranger feature related buttons too.

Also take note that the text says "full backing" for "live" performance as well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Yammie has the S-500 as the lower end arranger and also made another geared towards the synth line as well.

#135389 - 01/11/07 01:21 PM Re: New Yamaha MM6 (might have arranger features!)
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
"I think people here should be excited about this if it's true"
Your absolutley right. It is a step in the right direction. Why not manufacture a complete package, workstaion/synth/arranger.
This would make everyone happy. Synth types would no longer look down on arranger. Arrangers would stop being marketed for us old people.
Retailers would start pushing them onto young people, etc.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online