SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#134952 - 07/06/03 07:44 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

For Yamaha, its the EZ30 and EZ20 and a couple more.......on this site below
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesListLE/0,6583,CTID%253D205300%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT%2526VNM%253DLIVE%2526AFLG%253DY,00.html

For Casio
http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...ted%20Keyboards

#134953 - 07/06/03 10:08 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
That CASIO WK-1630 as I mentioned that even a pro was using it on stage. Uncle Dave also witnessed this on another thread few days ago. You can use it from beginner all the way to advanced - it will last a long, long time. You can even make money with it gigging. It's quite versatile and cheap ! I would say go either with that or the Yamaha DGX202 that George mentioned. Not sure about the EZ30 since I have not played it.

#134954 - 07/07/03 08:46 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Now using the MIDI in, could I use it with programs like Cakewalk or Cubasis? Like if I press the note C would it show up as the note C on the program with the correct timing?

#134955 - 07/07/03 03:50 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Quote:
Also as George mentioned about the inability to change the split voice independently. I think PSR292, DGX series and all the YAMAHA line below $300 has the one or more drawbacks as I mentioned above.[/B]

What do you mean by changing the split voice independently?

#134956 - 07/08/03 12:45 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

Independently means you can select a different sound as you wish for the different sections of the keyboard. If you choose to play the keyboard in split mode as this is the best sounding method for full band effect, you can split the keyboard into two sections. The left section is for bass (for example) and the right section for your main voice and a layered voice. For DGX300, you cannot choose a different voice for the bass section. In fact you can only choose from a combinations (pre-selected) split voices - i.e. the factory already pre-assign a bass voice and piano voice combination and you cannot change it. What if you want to change the piano voice with a brass sound while maintaining the same left hand bass voice - well, you cannot !!! However, I think you can change them independently for DGX202 and PSR292 - but then you are missing the registration memory capabilities.

#134957 - 07/08/03 07:26 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Now if I'm not impressed with the sounds on the Casio, I can always get a sound module and hook it up through MIDI to get more/better voices is that true?

#134958 - 07/08/03 07:47 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Bigfoot,
I'm sure the Casio is MIDI compatible, as are most keyboards, but then you would be getting away from your $300.00 maximum you stated at the beginning of the thread. If you are willing to buy a sound module, you might as well buy a better quality keyboard from the get go.
Star

#134959 - 07/08/03 08:58 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by lukitoh:
...For DGX300, you cannot choose a different voice for the bass section. In fact you can only choose from a combinations (pre-selected) split voices - i.e. the factory already pre-assign a bass voice and piano voice combination and you cannot change it. What if you want to change the piano voice with a brass sound while maintaining the same left hand bass voice - well, you cannot !!! However, I think you can change them independently for DGX202 and PSR292 - but then you are missing the registration memory capabilities.

One of our Illustrious dealers came up with this way to make the split feature on the DGX300/500 a little more versatile

Creating Custom Split Voices on the DGX300/500

While the DGX is not designed to feature custom split voices, using the simple workaround steps below will enable the unit to performing this feature.

1) Press the [SPLIT] button.

2) Choose one of the Split Voices between 113 and 122. The Split Voice with the best left hand voice should be chosen.

3) Press the [DUAL] button.

4) Press the [vSETTING] button once. The display should indicate 'M.VOLUME'.

5) Press the [0] (zero) button 3 times. This will reduce the 'Main Voice' volume to zero leaving only the 'Dual Voice' on the right hand side of the split. This step is optional.

6) Press the [vSETTING] button six times. The display should appear to be the normal voice select display.

7) Choose the new right hand voice by pressing the [+/YES], [-/NO] or the voice can be accessed directly by entering the number directly using the numeric keypad.

8) Adjust other 'Dual Voice' parameters if necessary as described on page 27 of the Owners Manual.

This custom split can now be saved as part of a registration memory.

Steve Deming
Yamaha Customer Support

[This message has been edited by YamahaUS1 (edited 07-08-2003).]

#134960 - 07/08/03 11:38 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

The drawback is what if you want to have 3 voices: a split voice (bass), main voice (piano or whatever) and dual voice (strings or whatever) - well you cannot ! The above scenario is very common as one needs to layer with a softer background voice especially for slow songs. I know that DGX has a combo piano and strings as ONE voice but you cannot choose it independently.

If YAMAHA corrects this deficiency, I think more players will buy it. However, most novices would not notice this until they play it in a few months and increased their playing skills and then it's too late to return the product. Also the registration memories is very limited compared to CASIO. It's very limiting to use the keyboard in live situation. As for CASIO, it's quite versatile BUT the voices are inferior in quality (not very noticeable to most novices).

#134961 - 07/08/03 01:18 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Wait so you CAN'T have 3 split with the Yamaha or both the DGX202 and the WK-1630?

CAN you have split with DGX202?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online