SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#134942 - 07/06/03 09:26 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The PSRSQ16 was probably the biggest flop Yamaha has had with arranger keyboards. It was loaded with features, but very few people could ever figure out how to use them all. I sold a few and my next door neighboor actually still has his and every once in a while they ask me to come over and show them how to use it. It was an expensive keyboard but it clearly was not made with ease of use in mind. The sounds and styles were good for it's time, but not even close to what is available for just a few hundred dollars new today.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#134943 - 07/06/03 11:33 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

For Yamaha, I think the best solutions are the PSR 292 and DGX 202. Any other ones that are of higher quality but around the price range of the $300? $450 highest.

And what about the other brands like Casio and Roland. I don't know about models of other brands so I need some help there.

Thanks guys.

#134944 - 07/06/03 11:39 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

I'm just browsing through the Casio website and I see the models like [WK-1630] for $300 and it has 2 pitch bend wheels. Comparing this keyboard to the DGX202, what are the pros and cons?
http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.detail&catalog=Music%20Instruments§ion=73%252F76-Note%20Keyboards&product=WK-1630

#134945 - 07/06/03 03:33 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Sorry to put another post, got something to add.

Most importantly, which keyboard would u recommend, the Casio or the Yamaha DGX202, and why?

#134946 - 07/06/03 03:56 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I tried most of the keyboards mentioned and end up returning them all because they lack two things crucial for live playing (pro) but I think it's also important for beginners as well. They lack registration memories capability which allows saving of all the settings into one button. So lets say you want to play a song that requires the use of piano voice, finger bass and set the keyboard transpose to key of G then all you have to do is to save it into that one button. Also as George mentioned about the inability to change the split voice independently. I think PSR292, DGX series and all the YAMAHA line below $300 has the one or more drawbacks as I mentioned above.

However CASIO WK-1630 has everything one needs plus it also has loud speakers - the loudest of them all which is nice. The only drawback is the piano sound which is not as nice sounding as the YAMAHA PSR292 or the DGX202 that George mentioned. In fact I saw a prefessional player uses this keyboard performing live in front of hundreds of people (concert) in a band and it sounds ok. As Uncle Dave in this forum also testified that in the hands of a pro, this keyboard could sound decent.

If you go to Guitar Center, you will see all these keyboards side by side and you can make your own comparison. Sure the Yamaha sounds better than CASIO's but they lack the said features while the CASIO's have them. If you don't care for it now, then YAMAHA is a good bet. Most beginners will probably chooses YAMAHA. But if I am a pro and only has $300 to spend, I will pick CASIO anyday over YAMAHA. CASIO just make more functional keyboards for the under $300 range although the sound is inferior. The lack of registration memory function in YAMAHA will get tiring after a while !!

GUITAR CENTER is the best place to buy this since you can return it within 30 days for any reason. I returned the keyboard 6 times without any problems-poor GC. Also, bring the lowest priced ad from the internet and show them to the sales person to be matched !

#134947 - 07/06/03 04:27 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

The Casio also has a modulation wheel as well as a pitch bend wheel. the DGX202 only has a modulation wheel. does that make that much of a difference.

BTW,

The piano voice on the Casio sounds (a little/ somewhat/ a lot) worse than the Yamaha DGX202 (as well, but not) the other voices.

Circle the correct answer hehe

#134948 - 07/06/03 04:52 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Piano sound on CASIO WK1630 is significantly worse after listening to the Yamahas. But if you don't have the Yamahas, I guess you would not really notice it.

I have been playing for many years (live) with many different styles and voices (mostly pianos and bass) and rarely do I need the modulations wheels/pitch bend - in fact never. For beginners, I would not worry about it now.

#134949 - 07/06/03 05:30 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Because I saw one of the Michel's video on the site http://www.vonckenfan.de/html/tyrosdemo_in_rendsburg.html

Not sure which one maybe the 2nd but I know one of them he uses the 2 wheels very nicely.

#134950 - 07/06/03 06:54 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

And how long would the Casio last? Would I still be able to stay with it when I become a student level?

#134951 - 07/06/03 07:15 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Vquestor Offline

What exactly are the models made by
Casio and Yamaha that have built-in lights
under the keys?(as well as MIDI in and
out). Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online