SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#134900 - 01/14/05 05:33 PM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
why bother if no one notices you playing.

Hi Synth_Guy: They may (or may not) notice 'what' you're actually playing, but our job in this situation is basically to act as window dressing, providing an air of class & sophistication (especially playing an acoustic GRAND piano in a tuxedo) to their event of a lifetime. These days, most families who can afford to hire a decent musician or band, also hire a professional videopgrapher to record the day (for posteriety). In fact, the video production cost alone can often be the MOST EXPENSE portion of the family's wedding bill, sometimes taking on elaborate proportions on the level usually reserved for a top Hollywood movie. Hmmmm. . . . Am I in the right business? Lights, camera, action! - Scott

#134901 - 01/14/05 06:22 PM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
talk about being in the right business, several years ago my band broke up and I had just bought a trailer and new PA gear. So a friend of mine set me up with some DJ gigs, this was maybe 14 years ago so I thought I was doing good to make 250 for a wedding or party. I could do 2 or three on a weekend and makeing more money and working more than any band.
Then I find out my niece makes wedding cakes, delivers them in the morning before the wedding and leaves does 2 or 3 a day for 250-300 bucks apiece.
No truck, no trailer, no pa, just deliver the cake and go home.

#134902 - 01/15/05 06:34 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have recently quit the oldies band I was in as a keyboard player and joined a very popular local wedding band....as a vocalist and DRUMMER!!!

I'm getting ready to do a heavy season of weddings this year. So far we have 10 weddings booked with more bridal shows booked. I will be playing the cocktail hour on keys, then playing the wedding on drums. The band has a keyboard player, but he doesn't want to do the CH. I will be making $100.00 for the cocktail hour and $600.00 for the wedding. Not a bad payoff for a day's work.

Best of both worlds..keyboards and drums.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#134903 - 01/15/05 07:17 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I really hate it when a drummer does the cocktail hour[on drums]..

#134904 - 01/15/05 10:57 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
kbrkr Offline

The guests really seem to drink fast during my cocktail hours ;-)

#134905 - 01/15/05 11:13 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I have recently quit the oldies band I was in as a keyboard player and joined a very popular local wedding band....as a vocalist and DRUMMER!!!

I'm getting ready to do a heavy season of weddings this year. So far we have 10 weddings booked with more bridal shows booked. I will be playing the cocktail hour on keys, then playing the wedding on drums. The band has a keyboard player, but he doesn't want to do the CH. I will be making $100.00 for the cocktail hour and $600.00 for the wedding. Not a bad payoff for a day's work.

Best of both worlds..keyboards and drums.

Is that $700.00 total just for you or is the $700.00 divided amongst the whole band?

#134906 - 01/16/05 08:56 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
kbrkr Offline

The $600.00 is per man.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online