SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134788 - 09/26/06 04:21 AM Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Has anyone ever tried a Standtastic keyboard stand. I saw this in the back of current issue of Keyboard magazine.

- 2 tier models weights 20 lbs, costs $169
- Tiers can be placed anywhere
- Tier extends 22"
- Mic boom $20 can be attached to top of stand
- Folds well to a small vertical stack (check out the videos)
- Lots of foot/pedal room

I wonder how this would work with the 17" deep Tyros 2 and a 76 or 88 key controller tight up under it.
http://www.lmproducts.com/dspStandtasticStandSpecifications.cfm

#134789 - 09/26/06 05:20 AM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
Dnj Offline

#134790 - 09/26/06 05:37 AM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobertG:
[B]Has anyone ever tried a Standtastic keyboard stand. I saw this in the back of current issue of Keyboard magazine.

2 tier models weights 20 lbs, costs $169

I've got one for sale I thank it's a three tier I bought it and never opened the box it was shipped in. It was used and I don't know what it looks like but I'll take 65.00 plus shipping.

PS it seems heaver than 20 lbs.

Hank

#134791 - 09/26/06 10:44 AM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
RobertG Offline

Donny: Thanks. I shouldn't have been so lazy as to not search the archive. Glad you remembered the post.

#134792 - 09/27/06 04:45 AM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Robert,

Contrary to what others here have said, I think the Standtastic stands are really the best keyboard stands out there. The only other one that I really like is the BP200 from Bespeco. Granted neither of these models is as quick to set-up as the typical 'X' type stand, but both are MUCH sturdier, MUCH more versatile in tier/keyboard placement, completely open under the keyboards, and don't make it look like you are doing you ironing on stage.

The new version of the Standtastic stand comes with a very nice, very slim gig bag that makes it quite easy to carry. And the fact that it is a slim case makes it far easier to pack in your vehicle rather than an 'X' stand which can be kind of awkward.

I have used Standtastic stands since the late 1980’s and my original three tier stand (which I cut down about 10 years ago to make it shorter that the three tier but taller that the two tier) still travels with me every weekend.

As for the weight, the Standtastic is no heavier than any other solid keyboard stand (cheap ‘X’ stands excluded).

Best Regards,

Dave

#134793 - 09/27/06 05:06 AM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:
Donny: Thanks. I shouldn't have been so lazy as to not search the archive. Glad you remembered the post.

There aint much that hasnt been discussed on SZ just search before asking & you'll be surprised at what turns up

#134794 - 09/27/06 07:01 AM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
RobertG Offline

Dave: Thanks for confusing me with your well thought out conflicting review.

#134795 - 10/03/06 05:32 PM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
RobertG Offline

Epilogue...

With the conflicting advice from Donny and Dave I bought both an double-braced X-stand for $50 from GC and a single-tier Standtastic stand from Musician's Friend with bag for $100.

I liked the Standtastic stand.
Pro: quality was good, it was light-weight, it fit well in the bag which had room for more tiers, it was very versatile, it was well designed
Con: It’s deep, compared with other solutions (see below). The front/back brace attaches with wing nut and has two small washers. I can image it being a little hard at times if setting up where lighting is dim. However, I am sure a quick trip to Home Depot could have yielded a solution.

Result: I kept the X stand and sent the Standtastic back. The reason has to do with space. It is not unusual to have a gig where stage/floor space is limited. The arms of the Standtastic stand sits on the outside of an "A" frame. The frame extends out as far back from the keyboard as the keyboard extends out from the stand. This makes for a very deep footprint, relative to an X-stand. The X-stand has half as deep a footprint since the keyboard sits on top of the stand. For me, my favorite stand is still the quiklok WS-550. Four adjustable legs and a flat rock-solid surface. It was ideal when I was using an 88 weighted-key Roland FP-5 piano. My current keyboard, a Tyros 2, is much lighter and the double-braced X-stand does the job of giving me a very stable platform, even when I play hard. I will keep the WS-550 at home and use the X-stand for gigs.

So Dave is right and so is Donny from their perspectives. As always, you have to decide what works best for you. It’s the ironing board for me.

#134796 - 10/03/06 05:38 PM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
Dnj Offline

Robert Good luck with your choice .....

I personaly love my ULTIMATE Support APEX Deluxe 2 tier stand w/mic boom when I perform.
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/s.nl/sc.14/category.44/.f

#134797 - 10/03/06 06:51 PM Re: Standtastic Keyboard Stand ???
RobertG Offline

Donny: Did you try the Apex with a T2? It's a pretty deep keyboard. I see they have two different length arms. If you tried it which arms did you use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online