SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134770 - 06/03/05 11:14 AM Arrangers that allow tempo changes
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Isn't there a musical term for how a pianist will play a piece with 'feeling' and the tempo will get slower (usually softer) or faster (often louder) in certain parts? Piannissimo = softer?

I was playing a song I wrote on guitar and I do that on this song... it's a rather heavy duty ballad. Specifically, right after the chorus, I slow down and actually pause just a bit before starting the next verse.

Any arranger functions allow you do this decently? I mean while playing a style.

#134771 - 06/03/05 11:19 AM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rubato

#134772 - 06/03/05 11:21 AM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Fran Carango Offline

Or following a bad drummer...

#134773 - 06/03/05 11:37 AM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Boy, I wish there were. I know on the Roland G1000 I could press the rit button and the tempo would slow down a specified percentage. You could then press the accel button to achieve the reverse affect.

Not an option if you want to achieve this all in one measure, but a good feature nonetheless, one I wish I had on my Tyros.

Graham

------------------
Graham

#134774 - 06/03/05 12:01 PM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Fran Carango Offline

I have a friend that use to hard wire a jack attached to a pedal...he would control tempo with the pedal..
The G1000 tempo wheel works smoothly if you do not want to use the Rit/accel feature..or you can just stop the arranger , and play "RUBATO" and start the arranger again at the fixed tempo...

#134775 - 06/03/05 12:42 PM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Take a look at THIS.

I have not used this pedal myself, but it sounds like it may help to accomplish what you desire.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#134776 - 06/03/05 12:57 PM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Write the tempo change into a registration, then as you call up each new reg - you get the new tempo.

#134777 - 06/03/05 12:59 PM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi dave, that pedal sure looks the business, would be very handy when you are playing midi file sequences + live band, thankyou for the tip...btw dave i DO miss the XP, wish i could've afforded to keep it..maybe 1 day??
dennis

peace, out

#134778 - 06/03/05 02:43 PM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Frostbyte Offline

Loc: World Citizen
Retardando / Accelerando

Slow down / Speed Up

On the Pa1X/Pro, you can assign these functions to the assignable switches.

It is very expressive live - As you get to the last line of the verse, hit the retardando switch, and the song begins to slow down - gradually. When it reaches the new tempo that you want, hit the button again to lock in the new tempo. No presets, no registrations, totally on the fly. And of course, you can hit the Break button to give you the pause you are looking for.

Remember, If you have a hand free, you can always use the Tap Tempo feature to do the same thing.

Pretty darn cool, eh?

#134779 - 06/03/05 04:48 PM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Boy, I wish there were. I know on the Roland G1000 I could press the rit button and the tempo would slow down a specified percentage.

The PSR 5700 had this feature too.

On the Tyros, there is a style called "Casatchok" it the World section, where the intro has a tempo variation. I couldn't work out how to program that into my styles though...

Chony

#134780 - 06/03/05 06:00 PM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I guess I should also point out that on the Genesys you can assign a footswitch to increase or decrease the tempo of the currently playing style or song. So if you plug footswitches into the pedal 1 and pedal 2 input and assign 1 to Tempo> and 2 to Tempo< you can increase/decrease tempos hands free.

Or you could save the tempo changes of a style in various Memories and switch between them for the tempo changes throughout the song. I would assign one or two pedals to Memory advance < and > so I wouldn't have to take my hands from the keyboard.

Or you could record your style performance as an Easy Song and while you were entering chords with your left hand, you could use the Tempo dial to increase/decrease the tempo in real time. Then when you play that song back, you could play the melody, sing or whatever and let the tempo change completely automatically.

Or……the fact is there are several ways to accomplish this (and many other things) on the Genesys.

With the new Genesys S series, up to three Multi-Pedal units can be connected. Each Multi-Pedal has 9 footswitches that can be assigned to many functions including the two I mentioned above. So other pedals could be assigned to Start/Stop, Freeze Chord, Vocal Harmonizer On/Off, etc.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 06-03-2005).]

#134781 - 06/07/05 06:01 AM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi SemiLiveMusic,

Just curious if you checked out the Ploytec 34one tap tempo pedal to solve your song tempo change problems?

I noticed you hadn't responded to any of the posts in your thread so I bumped it back to the top in case you forgot you had posed the question in the first place.

Best Regards,

Dave

#134782 - 06/07/05 07:00 AM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Just curious if you checked out the Ploytec 34one tap tempo pedal to solve your song tempo change problems?

Yep, I did and that is very cool, indeed. That's really an innovative product.

I guess sometimes you could have a drummer wear headphones so he could sync his playing to an arrangers steady beat?

Well, what about letting the drummer do his thing and the keyboard player is adjusting his tempo with this device?

#134783 - 06/07/05 08:00 AM Re: Arrangers that allow tempo changes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check THIS out.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry