SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#134421 - 07/08/06 12:45 PM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, you need to replace those cheap windows..I can fix you right up.

#134422 - 07/08/06 03:00 PM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Fran is that you playing in your younger years?
I can't see a disc drive on there for loading the midi files m8

#134423 - 07/08/06 03:44 PM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott, you need to replace those cheap windows..I can fix you right up.

Cheap Windows?! Yeah. I've got XP here. If you think they're so cheap, talk to Bill Gates. As far as you saying you can fix me up. No thanks . . . don't want to risk a virus'.

Scott

#134424 - 07/08/06 03:51 PM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The other windows!!!The one you look outside!!!

#134425 - 07/09/06 03:32 AM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
batty Offline

Loc: Kingscliff, NSW, Australia
Nice gags fellas.....the replies are always entertaining

I think I will settle on 28.5" (or close enough).

What about the piano seat - is there a standard height for that? Scott, whatever you do don't measure your window otherwise Fran will offer you a deal you can't believe.

Kind regards,
Mark

#134426 - 07/09/06 04:46 AM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
cwalkeralso Offline

Loc: State of Washington, US
Mark

I found an answer at the following site, and thought it to be well stated.
http://experts.about.com/q/Piano-Organ-Keyboard-650/piano-13.htm

Following the quote from the above referenced site (which advises an adjustable seat) is info about a recommended seat height if a fixed seat is chosen.

Charles
--------------------------------------------
Question
Hi Thomas,
What is the proper height of a piano keyboard in relation to the seat?
Thank you,
Randy

Hello Randy! Thank you for the question. There has been much discussion regarding the correct height of the piano bench relative to the key level. Rather than provide you a measurement, the optimum height from the bench to the key level must vary with the individual player. Remember, a piano is a percussion instrument. The idea is to adjust the height of the bench to afford the performer maximum mechanical advantage. With different torso lengths, the optimum bench height can vary considerably. The correct piano posture dictates that the wrists be somewhat horizontal with the arms as the curved fingers rest on the key surfaces. If the elbows are too low relative to the key level, the wrists must flex creating a mechanically inefficient state. Likewise , if the elbows are too high, the wrists must extend also creating a mechanically disadvantaged state...and discomfort If an adjustable bench is not available then like the old adage, “if the shoe don't fit…” either break out the encyclopedias or take a saw to the bench's feet. Gaining maximum mechanical advantage is what it is about. Not some fixed number.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Thomas Britanyak

--------------------------------------------

The information below was found at the following site:
http://ssl.sheetmusic1.com/smssl/piano.chair.html

Paul Jansen & Sons (the manufacturer of piano benches for Steinway, Baldwin, Yamaha in the U.S., and other quality instruments) is no longer manufacturing the adjustable piano chair. The labor required for each chair has made the manufacture of an adjustable chair cost-prohibitive.

The Jansen non-adjustable chair is still available, they will continue to make these popular practice/performance chairs.

If you have a bad back (as I do), there is only one possible way to practice for any length of time at the piano: using a piano chair which supports the lower back.

Jansen chairs are constructed of hardwood maple, no assembly required. The Non-Adjustable chair seat slopes toward piano with 19" height in rear and 18" in front. This is also excellent for solo instrumentalists, as the forward slope of the chair top creates correct posture and better comfort.

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 07-09-2006).]

#134427 - 07/09/06 07:16 AM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I use an height adjustable stool which enables me to sit or stand to play my PSR3000 + KORG PA50.

On a spare partition I am running the new VISTA 12 month full trial version from Microsoft. A lot of my hardware does not have drivers available for VISTA. Even AOL Server does not yet have a driver for VISTA.

#134428 - 07/09/06 05:28 PM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I play keyboard like and organist. I like to sit higher and have room to stretch my feet or reach the footpedals. I guess that means height is a personal matter, for me.

#134429 - 07/09/06 08:20 PM Re: Height of piano keybed above floor level?
batty Offline

Loc: Kingscliff, NSW, Australia
I guess the safest option would be to use an adjustable chair (like an office chair). Then it could be suitable to any height.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online