cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
see below for corrected text

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-10-2007).]

#134162 - 07/10/07 05:40 AM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
cassp Offline

Mike,

I'd like to explain that the recording was a pretty simple affair. It was two takes, two tracks each of a mono feed. The organ was mixed into the midi& vocals so that there would be a slight sonic r/l difference. I used a BR532 to record the master tracks and and Sound Forge6 to create the wav files. I have been known to record some of my tracks a little hot, but I did not see any distortion on my meters. That doesn't mean there wasn't any. The harmonist on my G70 seems a little quieter than my previous DC5, so I may have used a hotter setting and caused some vocal distortion. In my thinking, when you hear distortion, it's the engineer's fault, not the machine's.

I never used my PSR2000 vocal harmonizer and so I don't have the slightest idea what Yamaha even sounds like. All I can tell you is that the Roland is very versatile and easy to work with. As I said in my first reply - maybe it's something I did or didn't do in the recording process that produces the distortion or sound you hear. I make no claims as a recording expert - this is basement stuff. I would say that you have to try it yourself before making a blanket decision based on one simple recording.

In any case, if the Yamaha works for you and sounds as good or better to your ears, by all means stick with it. I'm not into 'this is better than that' and certainly would agree that Y, R & K (among others) produce some fantastic sounding equipment these days. As long as we are happy with our music, I feel our audiences will benefit.

#134163 - 07/10/07 06:20 AM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Cass, go into Singer..Vocal Harmonist/vocal effect/and try these settings that I use...
sustain level=10
output level=93
Compress=on
gate=on

This will give you what you had on the DisCover5.

#134164 - 07/10/07 06:50 AM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
cassp Offline

Mike, I listened to your recording and must say it is very good & clean. I don't think my song sounds that clean. As for the harmonizer, you are using a different harmony set than I did, which could also explain the differences in what you hear. But I must go back to the recording itself - mine sounds more down & dirty while yours sounds as if you spent some time making sure everything was just right. Maybe that's the difference. Good job

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online