Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134151 - 07/06/07 03:34 PM New Song - SMF and G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Here's my first recording with the G70.
http://cassp50.googlepages.com/links

Very simple; a SMF, the G70 with drawbars and vocal harmonizer recorded with a Boss BR532.

#134152 - 07/06/07 04:00 PM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
zuki Offline

Sounds good Cass...thanks for sharing.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#134153 - 07/06/07 06:26 PM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
Dnj Offline

Cassp .....unlike the compressed sound of Yamaha... I really liked your first tune with the G70 its got that real live sound, drums & guitars baby and the Roland vocal harmonies are second to none!! I know you made the right choice!...I know you'll do great with the G70 its one awesome KB....thanx for sharing cant wait to hear more down the road buddy!!

#134154 - 07/07/07 09:46 AM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cass, nice work with the song, sounds like you're getting a handle on the G70 as well, keep up the good work.

#134155 - 07/07/07 05:20 PM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Very nice, Cassp. Love the organ, guitar and your vocals.

Taike

#134156 - 07/07/07 08:27 PM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks for sharing Cass!

I liked your vocals although I'm sorry I really didn't like the G70 harmonizer. I had heard through the grapevine that the G70 harmonizer was top notch. Unfortunately now that I've heard it I don't think it is.

I enjoyed the song though Cass. Great job!

Best,
Mike

#134157 - 07/09/07 04:31 AM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Mike, could you expand on your criticism of the harmonizer. What you heard is only one setting and maybe I could have done a better job using it. What is it that you don't like about the Roland harmonizer?

#134158 - 07/09/07 09:04 AM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike I think you have to get out and try the Roland Harmonist for yourself...Go somewhere that handles the other brands too[TC Electronics, as in the Korgs, also Gem, Yamaha and Digitechs[fading away]..

Roland is second to none with sound quality, and the way it reads/handles "ALL" applications...
One only needs to have a open mind ...go test them, and then let us know if all our comments are wrong..Poll any other players here that have used the Roland and other brands on a gig...see what their impressions are..

Cass, your song sounds great..

#134159 - 07/09/07 07:24 PM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Okay, to be fair, I listened to the song again but I still don't really care for how the harmonizer sounds. I hear a distinct distortion in the harmonizer quality and also a Vocoder like effect. I analyzed the .mp3 in Sony Sound Forge and although the file is in stereo it almost looked like two exact mono tracks that were merged into stereo.

I'm not sure if this would have any negative effect on the harmonizer sound in the song but I know for sure that to my ears the harmonizer sounds less than stellar.

BTW, I just bought and installed a new sound card for my computer i.e. the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card, and before that I had the SoundBlaster Live! card. When listening to Cass' song again just a few minutes ago I was hearing it through the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card and also through decent computer speakers which are the acclaimed Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's. So as you can see my setup does not lack for quality in its ability to playback audio accurately. Even so, I came to the same conclusion before the new sound card was installed and also after the new sound card was installed unfortunately. But again don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the song along with Cass' vocals. It was, and still is, the harmonizer that didn't thrill me in an otherwise fine tune.

As an example; here is a song I recorded a couple of years ago or so where I am using the Tyros' Vocal Harmonizer in certain parts of the song much like Cass is doing in his song. IMHO I think the Tyros Harmonizer runs circles around this Roland beast called a harmonizer. To be fair though I will reserve final judgement of the G70's harmonizer until I can listen to it in person. Which may be quite a chore mind you seeing how there is probably not a G70 within a 100 mile radius of where I live.

Here's my song:

On The Road Again - With Tyros Harmonizer

FWIW, here is link to a professional review of the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card by Tech Report.com >>

Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card review

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 07-09-2007).]

#134160 - 07/10/07 03:05 AM Re: New Song - SMF and G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Mike, I don't have the fancy sound card system to listen [detail] that close to the MP3's..But I do have the real deal[G70] and I positively know there is no contest between the Yamaha harmonizer and the Roland harmonist...The Roland is far superior... [I am serious..play them both, I have!!)...

Oh , and thanks for reminding me ...the Tyros "lifeless" sound....just doesn't work for me....Personal opinion..Yes.

I thought maybe other honest opinions would have been posted by folks that have used both...I know I have never talked with anyone that thought the Yamaha harmonizer was better than the Roland [after playing both]...

As it has been said..Play what makes you happy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online