SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134107 - 06/06/02 02:26 PM PSR2000, need some help
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Hi gang:
I can't seem to be able to save a registration to a floppy without having to save it first to the User Memory on the KB. I get the following message: " Save style to the user drive. Save now? otherwise it will not be stored to the registration memory" then I get the message "drive is full" . As we all know memory is scarce so there is no more room for me to store more styles in the user memory. Is this means that if you don't have this particular style on memory you will not be able to save the registration? This is a big problem since most of my edited styles are on a floppy. Does anyone else have this problem with this keyboard?
Mario

#134108 - 06/06/02 10:34 PM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Mario,

Your topic has had me intrgued (about my PSR2000) for quite a while. When I first purchased my PSR2000, I too was frustrated that I couldn't just save my newly created registrations (and styles) directly to floppy. Like you, I had to save them to the KB's 'user memory' area first, and then copy to floppy. What a hassle, especially because I always had to remember to keep enough sufficient 'user memory' space available to hold these files (abeit temporarily).

Well GUESS WHAT ?! A few months ago, out of the clear blue, I was suddenly able to save both newly created or edited registrations and/or new/edited styles 'directly' to floppy diskettes without having to save it in the KB's 'user memory' area first. I made no OS updates to my keyboard so I have no idea what caused this sudden change in events, which I'm subsequently, very happy about. Luckily, I'm today, still able to save my newly created/edited registrations & styles 'directly' to floppy without having to save it to the keyboard's USER memory first. Anyone have 'any idea' what I may have done which caused this? If we can find out, perhaps we can figure how to get Marios's KG to do the same.

I'm now curious to hear from other PSR2000 owners about this. Are you able to save new or edited styles and/or registrations directly to floppy too, without having to save to the 2000's internal 'user memory' first?

- Scott

#134109 - 06/07/02 12:02 AM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Anyone have 'any idea' what I may have done which caused this? If we can find out, perhaps we can figure how to get Marios's KG to do the same.
- Scott

hmmm...Scott, what did you write me some time ago about kicking your PSR2000 in a burst of frustration?

#134110 - 06/07/02 02:48 AM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Mario Offline

Scott:
The Psr2K remains an "enigma" for me. One minute it can be the greatest keyboard, next minute it can get you very frustrated. I often said that this keyboard has the potential to be one of the greatest machines around, especially when you consider it's price.
I guess the benefits outweight it's idiosyncrasies so I am keeping it. Meanwhile we have to put up with the nonsense. I tried something yesterday that seem to correct the problem but I'm still not sure, what I did was, using the "freeze" function, I de-selected the marker so the style would not be saved. I've got a Gig tomorrow and I will have the chance to find out if it works.
The saving procedures on the 2k "Are Such an Abortion" and are such an Insult to today's technology. I don't know where Yamaha's engineers/programmers where when brains were given out, or they were just too lazy. It's such a pain, it takes an unreasonable amount of steps to save anything, whether it's a style, a registration or a sound, it's all hassle aggravated by the fact that there is not enough memory.
I Am Now waiting for the advent of the XD9. Ketron keyboards are a pleasure when it comes to interfacing with the musician. I just sold my x1 on ebay, and outside of a couple of problems with it, it's still a my opinion the easiest keyboard to interact with out there. I hope the XD9 will correct these problems.
Anyway Scott, give this a try, who knows? Maybe we've touched on the problem.
Regards,
Mario

#134111 - 06/07/02 08:08 AM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Check out the PSR-2000 Tutorials web site and you will find much of this explained in detail there. Look at the lessons on saving registrations. The lesson on OTS also explains what exactly gets saved in a OTS (which is a subset of what gets saved in a registration memory button.)
http://devoted.to/PSR2K

Newly created styles could always be saved to floppy. The default location was USER memory, but if you hit the NEXT button you went to FLOPPY DISK and you could simply save the style there.

If a style is saved in a registration button, the style must exist in the preset area or the user area. You cannot save styles loaded from floppy into a registration button.

You can, however, set your own OTS settings and save that in the style itself and save the style to the floppy disk.

#134112 - 06/07/02 08:31 AM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Mogens Offline

You may be aware of this, but in any case: you have to press the Next-button for selecting FloppyDisc BEFORE pressing the Save-button to save on floppy.
My OS is 1.00

#134113 - 06/07/02 12:23 PM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Mario Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe Waters:

"If a style is saved in a registration button, the style must exist in the preset area or the user area. You cannot save styles loaded from floppy into a registration button."

Hi Joe:
. That's precisely my dilemma. Most of the styles that I am using now are on a floppy because there's no room in the user memory. As it is, I have no registrations saved in the memory just so I can save space. With no ability to store this styles into memory, what do you do? how do you save a registration that requires a style which has been edited?
This is another problem with this keyboard. In my estimation, it's a bug that Yamaha should know about. However since there is no way to upgrade the operating system, I'm afraid we are all stock with this problem.
regards,
Mario

[This message has been edited by Mario (edited 06-07-2002).]

#134114 - 06/07/02 01:04 PM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
If you can live with four buttons, try saving your setups in the OTS buttons. They would be loaded with the style when you loaded from floppy. Depending on what you are doing with registrations, you can set them up independent of the style. For example, if you want to use the registrations to call up specific instruments, those instruments can be saved in a registration and then used with whatever style you want.

#134115 - 06/07/02 08:44 PM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Mario Offline

Joe:
One of the main reasons that I use Registrations is so that I dont have to remember the keys to over 500 songs that I have in my repertoire. I use each registration to remember a different song, this means 8 songs to each bank. Unfortunately OTS does not retain/save keys, and you could only store 4 songs anyway. It's a system "bug" Joe, lets admit it.
regards,
Mario

#134116 - 06/07/02 09:27 PM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Anonymous
Unregistered

I sometimes get the same "Save To User Area" message even when changing a voice or tempo in an existing style in one of the registration buttons. It is bewildering.
Eddie

#134117 - 06/07/02 10:05 PM Re: PSR2000, need some help
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bsharp:
I sometimes get the same "Save To User Area" message even when changing a voice or tempo in an existing style in one of the registration buttons. It is bewildering.
Eddie

Do you mean you get the message while changing registrations when actually playing (performing) a song. or when you are 'editing' a voice and/or tempo of a specific registration?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online