SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#133772 - 01/23/05 03:58 PM Re: Some great pieces (with Yamaha DGX 300) from my talented teacher
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bluebird,
here's some info, you can also download the manuals http://tinyurl.com/2smh2

The current ones are the dgx305/505, though maybe the Dgx300/500 are still available.

Are you wanting it for performing or home/studio ?

The keys are more like a piano key , but not weighted ( or at least , not like my Clav.)
I adapted fairly easily between the two
( keep in mind I'm a lousy player).

Also bear in mind, the dgx only has 32 note polyphony. They come in 76 not & 88 note version. I think the 88 note version was selling for round $500USD a few months back.
The dgx305/505 has midi via usb only, so you can't directly midi another keyboard to it. It also uses a smart media card. (Can't comment on the Dgx300/500, but I think it had the normal midi socket & floppy drive??)
They do not have multi pads.
They have 135 styles on board plus 1 user style which is loaded via smart media card on the 305/505.
The onboard styles only have 1 intro& ending, 2 variations & fills. No style editing or saving, but they can load a psr style. I think it loads intr/ending A and the first 2 variations.

How I got around some of the dgx's limitations.

I was using One Man Band arranger software with my Clavinova & laptop or desktop.
Now I also use it with the dgx.

I have the laptop & dgx hooked up via usb cable. I use the dgx as a controller & sound module, omb is used to play psr user styles, which give me the full 3 Intro's & Endings, plus the 4 variations etc . The user styles will need a bit of tweaking ( as most conversions do ) but that can all be done in One Man Band software. It has a 6 track sequencer on board, it is a bit limited( haven't used it but I think it's a style track plus 5 or 6 melody type tracks. Again OMB has a sequencer inbuilt which is pretty basic, but you can do a certain amount of editing etc. OMB also has a Kareoke window
( which I haven't used.)

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebird:
I would like to have a PSR but perhaps a DGX is better for me, because I love piano, piano voies, piano keys.
But I don't know what I am missing exactly if I buy a DGX and not a PSR. I think PSR styles can't be played into DGX, and DGX can't modify styles or mute its parts, and DGX hasn't pads but, is it all?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#133773 - 01/23/05 04:06 PM Re: Some great pieces (with Yamaha DGX 300) from my talented teacher
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bluebird,
to be quite honest, I hadn't noticed that they were smaller. They certainly don't feel as good as my Clav, but when you compare the price difference in the instruments. Personally I have no problem swapping between the two, but I'm not a pro, I'm only still a "wanna be" even after many many years ( haahaa).

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluebird:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online