SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#133721 - 08/26/04 09:20 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don't think I have have heard the song before. Sounds like it would be a good one for one of the James Bond movies. The quality of the voice, singing and playing ranks right up there with the production quality of the 007 films.
Eddie

#133722 - 08/26/04 04:17 PM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Yo Rich,

I hear a little bit of "Elvis" in your voice. Thank You...Thank You Very Much

Good Job
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#133723 - 08/27/04 12:50 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Great job Rich. Your musical arrangement is very tasteful balanced with a vocal style that is a pleasure to listen to. You make the PSR-3000 backing track sound very natural. Thanks for sharing.

#133724 - 08/27/04 05:09 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Thank you kindly, Heather Glad you enjoyed this.

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your words. The amount of styles on this thing (and the availability of the Tyros') really opens up the possibilty for recording so many different songs. Just a matter of deciding which one to record next!

Eddie, many thanks. Definitely something about those Bond songs... We even have a Secret Service style tailor made for some of them now. Goldfinger sounds great with that

Larry, thanks for the listen and feedback. Elvis, what a guy!

Nigel, thank you...
As I discover more and more functions on this keyboard, I really feel it's ideal (for me at least) for producing backing tracks... and original music too.

All the best,
Rich

#133725 - 08/27/04 07:16 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
That's a very good performance.
You already told us the Elvis song was from the 1968 movie 'Live a little, love a little', but I found out that the song was on a 45 single with on the B-side ... 'A little less conversation', you know.. the Nike commercial... Junky-XL. It's from the same movie.
OK, back to your recording: I was a bit disappointed when the solo came along. Nothing against your playing, but somehow the sweet! trombone doesn't sound very realistic. Is that voice really like that?
It sounds worse than the DX7 (FM) trombone sound!

------------------
drdalet

#133726 - 08/27/04 07:57 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
RichUK Offline

Hi Herco,

Hmmmmm... I'm a bit wary of that solo too, so yesterday I re-recorded it (re-mixed the whole backing while I was at it) but this time used the Sweet! FlugelHorn... I think it sounds maybe slightly more realistic, what do you think?

Here it is (622KB)

Another thought was trying a human trombone solo... for that Bobby McFerrin feel.

Thank you for the feedback, yep... two great songs from a fun film! Presley's own Great Dane stars in that one.

Cheers,
Rich

P.S. Here are the stock demos of the Sweet! brasses from the 3000 so you can hear them out of the mix:

Trombone, flugel horn and trumpet... followed by muted trumpet.

[This message has been edited by RichUK (edited 08-27-2004).]

#133727 - 08/27/04 08:44 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
drdalet Offline

Yes, it sounds definitely better.
I think it's a transient thing, probably influenced by the keyvelocity - I have to figure that one out when I get my PSR. I come to that conclusion because the voice demos sound realistic enough, but the Flugelhorn has a more expressive transient, and that's what improves it in the mix, I think. Although you know you're playing a flugelhorn with a slide, don't you?
I listened to your original again - I'll add it (with the new solo) to my superdemos of the PSR3K - and I like to complement you on your singing.

------------------
drdalet

#133728 - 08/27/04 08:52 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
RichUK Offline

Thanks Herco

Hehe, I just had to pretend the flugel was really the trombone.

EDIT:
Oops...

I was using an edited trombone, which while sounding quite nice on it's own as a softer sound... the subtleties were being lost in the mix. Must have been this that was nagging me...

Well here's that flugelhorn solo simply revoiced to the 'out of the box' sweet trombone (obviously the velocities here were produced while the flugelhorn was sounding, so aren't quite right for the trombone).

Trombone solo (372KB)

Any word on your 3000 yet? Where did you order it from in the end?

Cheers,
Rich

[This message has been edited by RichUK (edited 08-27-2004).]

#133729 - 08/27/04 01:55 PM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
drdalet Offline

Ahhh, now I hear a trombonesolo.
Very nice. I downloaded the mp3s and edited them in Wavelab.
Great!
Now when I was doing that I heard in my head, coming out of the trombonesolo, a high violinsection playing a countermelody (or something like that). You know, starting in the last measure of the trombone solo with a fast scale leading up to the melody. (Sorry it's the arranger in me )

And about the PSR3K; I (sort of) ordered it in a shop near my place. He will sell it for 1575 euro (ab. 1057 Pounds). I tried other places, but 1599 euro was the lowest I could get anywhere else, so 1575 is not a bad price (it includes 19% VAT). But none of the shops has the PSR3K in stock.
I got a mail from Yamaha-Netherland though, telling me there was a shipment on its way right now to my country, so I hope it won't be long now.

------------------
drdalet

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 08-28-2004).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online