Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133711 - 08/25/04 08:05 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RichUK:
I ran the phono-outs of the PSR to the phono inputs of a DAT machine, then ran the digital out of the DAT to my Roland HD recorder's digital in

applied DC offset

Rich,

Thanks loads for the run-down. Just a couple of basic questions... hope you don't mind, I'm still a novice at recording. Why do you go thru the DAT and then into the HD rather than go directly into the HD? And what is DC offset?

Thanks again,
Glenn

#133712 - 08/25/04 09:23 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Hi Glenn,

I mainly utilise the DAT machine for its analogue to digital converters and to bypass the onboard mic pre-amps on the Roland. The mic pres on the Tascam are supposed to be quite good. Also, going into the HD recorder digitally does make the recording process a bit quicker and easier for me.

However, there is at least one song on my website which was recorded (both sounds and vocals) straight into the HD recorder... 'Unchained Melody'.

I read once that performing a DC offset correction (I missed out the essential word 'correction' on my last post) was a recommended step after recording a wav file. I found this that will explain it better than I could:

'If the average between the positive and negative wave peaks in your file is not zero, the result is inaudible low-frequency distortion. Although you won't be able to hear it in the .wav file, it will seriously degrade your compressed file, as well as introduce further distortion if other filters are applied to the uncorrected wave. The DC offset function corrects this problem, and should always be applied as the first step in optimizing an audio file..'

Also:

'A condition known as DC offset can occur in sound files that were recorded with improperly grounded sound cards. This problem is more common with low-end sound cards. DC offset forces the baseline of the audio signal to be offset from the centerline. You can determine if this is a problem on your system by recording a few seconds of silence and zooming in on the signal and checking to see if it’s centered. Most sound editing programs have filters that can correct a DC offset.'

I've just performed that test and the signal was indeed centered, but I'll still carry out the DC offset correction just as a precaution.

This recording lark (as you're probably finding) is an ongoing, but enjoyable learning process. Something I need to investigate further is the use of compression. I haven't used it in (or after) recording yet... so may experiment with that sometime.

Give me a shout again if you have any other questions or queries... I'll help out where I can.

All the best,
Rich

#133713 - 08/25/04 10:04 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Exceptional!
DonM

#133714 - 08/25/04 10:16 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Rich, nice early 1960's reminiscent sounding arrangement. Which Yamaha PSR3000 style did you use? The song contains some very interstingly unusual melodic intervals. Was this song from a broadway musical? If so, what show, and who's the composer?

Rich, as usual, I always enjoy hearing your music. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

#133715 - 08/25/04 11:51 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
RichUK Offline

Thanks Don!

Scott, thanks for the kind feedback. You're right, it is from a musical of sorts... one of those gems hidden away in an Elvis movie called Live a Little, Love a Little (1968). Composed by Randy Starr and Luis Bonfa (according to Google).

The style is 'Pro Beguine' on the 2nd page of the 3000's Latin styles. Songs with this kind of style (with those kinds of chord changes and melody) always catch my ear. Kind of a mysterious, dreamy, sway with the music sound...

Cheers,
Rich

#133716 - 08/25/04 12:58 PM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
Daddy JJ Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Rich,

Superb....as usual...! I'm glad to hear (again ) something from you..
Take care,
JJ

#133717 - 08/25/04 02:13 PM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
del1235 Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Hi Rich,

Very good MP3 and your voice and PSR3000 sound great.

BTW, how can one reduce the bass in one's voice when using the Vocal Harmoniser? I don't have any external equipment to adjust anything.

Del

#133718 - 08/26/04 04:49 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
RichUK Offline

Thank you JJ, much appreciated

Del, many thanks for the kind feedback...

You could reduce the 'EQ Low' setting by a suitable amount (under 'Mic Setting' > 'Overall Settings'). That will reduce the 'boom' in the lead vocal (and any harmony parts).

In your own case, you'll need to reduce it before you start recording... maybe do a few test recordings to find a suitable bass EQ level. I usually have to reduce mine to at least -2dB.

Thanks again,
Rich

[This message has been edited by RichUK (edited 08-26-2004).]

#133719 - 08/26/04 05:33 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
And a very fine vocal cover it is. Very nice job.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Heather

#133720 - 08/26/04 06:40 AM Re: Almost In Love... PSR-3000 with vocal
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Rich-

Listened to a lot of your audio on your website. My compliments. IMO, I think you have a distinctive style that is very easy on the ears. Combine that with your obvious skill on your keyboard, and I'd say you're doing some of the best work of anyone on this board.

Regards-

Bill in Dayton

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online