SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#133404 - 03/11/03 08:52 PM Re: PSR 740 and 2100
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here's my 2 cents. Deciding between upgrading from the 740 to a Tyros or a PSR2100, is really dependent on one's personal playing style requirements. They both offer distinctly different advantages. If you require a super light EZ to transport keyboard with built in speakers, the PSR2100 may be the better choice. The 2100 offers 2MB vs 3 MB on the Tyros, but if you are content utilizing the kb's internal styles, 2 MB should sufficient to hold enough custom user styles to keep you happy. The PSR2000 only has 1 MB of user memory. The PSR2100 also includes many of the Tyros's new improved styles & sounds (except for the mega voice variety). The PSR2100 also includes USB connectivity. The main advantages of going with the Tyros over the PSR2100 (imho) is that the Tyros keyboard construction & feel is much improved, and the arranger function buttons are much larger & are illuminated (easier to read) and the bright color LCD screen and much larger character font size make it much easier to navigate. The Tyros also allows you to select any of the 3 intros/endings directly from dedicated buttons vs having to go into a sub menu on the PSR2100/2000. Another often overlooked feature that the Tyros has which both PSR2100/2000 don't, is a dedicated physical 'reg bank' button to call up Registrations files from any mode, such as while you're in Music Finder. The PSR2000/2100 don't allow you to do this. This (to me) is a serious limiatation. The other critically important Tyros advantage (for me) is that it supports 3 individual foot controllers vs only 2 on the PSR2100/2000. I need to assign one for sustain, another to trigger the vocalizer/or Reg Memory advance, and the 3rd to trigger fills. Another Tyros convenience (but not essential) is having the mic level setting conveniently located next to the master volume knob, whereas the PSR2100/2000 mic level is awkwardly placed at the back of the kb.

One complaint I have about the Tyros is it is a bit inconvenient (hassle) to have to drag along the Tyros speakers (with sub woofer) to gigs, personal monitoring, but I suppose it's a trade off to get a lightweight kb (27 lbs). The total weight of the Tyros KB & the Tyros speakers is still less than the 9000pro or PSR9000, so I suppose its easier to carry two pieces (keyboard + speaker system) than a single heavy kb.

I own BOTH the Tyros and the PSR2000 and utilize each keyboards for DIFFERENT situations. For casual spontaneous parties & gigs , I'll take the PSR2000 because it's so quick and ez to grab and go. For longer gigs and larger 'all evening' events, I prefer to take the Tyros as it offers improved sounds/styles, better arranger on the fly navigation, greatly improved keyboard feel (action) which = improved playing musical expression. In the end, it seems the audience is happy with whatever keyboard I use. Hmmm. after saying all that, I may consider adding a PSR2100 now.

Scott

#133405 - 03/12/03 12:59 AM Re: PSR 740 and 2100
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm with the "PSR2000 better than PSR740 and worth the money" crowd, not because of the sound quality (which is better, but the 740's still pretty good) but because of the ergonomics, and especially the ability to be able to swap and search discs without interruption; in fact this was my major reason for switching from a PSR630 to a PSR 2k!

#133406 - 03/12/03 06:29 AM Re: PSR 740 and 2100
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Scott's opening statement is really the key to all of this. There are several things to consider, and in the end what is important to me might not be the deciding factor for the next person. In my own case, I like the Tyros a lot and I would love to be able to just go pick one up, but as I play the board and consider the reasons I would spend the bucks on it, it really may not be the best choice for me vs a 2000 / 2100. Each has one thing that detracts from it for me. In the case of the 2100, it's the key feel. In the case of the Tyros, it's the lack of onboard speakers, which does not make me happy when performing live.

My next arranger will be a second arranger to go along with my PA80, and primarily in that capacity I'm looking for a board that will serve me well for live play. I already have the Motif workstation, so I don't need another Yamaha board for the studio, and none of the arrangers available will match it for the features that are important to me anyway, although the 9k pro would come closer than any of the others. For me, the PA80 does double duty, and is one of the only arrangers that I've played that meets my criteria for the studio ( lots of editing power ) and it is pretty good for live play to boot. My 740 was a decent board and the sounds were very good but it lacked a bit ( ok a lot ) in the features dept and really wasn't suited for me for live play. The harmonizer and several other features are vastly improved on the 2000.

I am going to wait it out and check the 2100 out when it becomes available. The Tyros is a fantastic arranger, no doubt, but I don't need to plunk down the money it commands right now. I can get by just fine with what I have already but I still like doing the occasional live thing and a second arranger would be nice to have. I have my eye on other equipment and synths for the studio as well, so for now there is no Tyros in my future. Someone mentioned the Fantom. Nice board but I agree, the soundset could be a little better, and there is no sampling onboard or provision for user arps. Roland plans a new version with sampling that is due out later in the year, so I'll be giving that a look to see if there are other improvements as well. In it's favor, it is a breeze to navigate functions vs the Motif. If I did have "Tyros" money to toss around though, I'd really be looking at the new Moog anyway. Awesome sounding analog modeling board ( I got to play with one yesterday )

AJ

#133407 - 03/12/03 07:57 AM Re: PSR 740 and 2100
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can't compare anything to the 2100 yet, because it is not out, and most probably not yet in it's finished form. If Yamaha follows their usual form, we won't see it for many more months.
Also, please consider whether the operating system will be in Flash ROM. As we know, it was promised and advertised on the 2000, but that was not true. ("Not true" sounds better than "a lie".)
DonM

#133408 - 03/12/03 08:18 AM Re: PSR 740 and 2100
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Can anyone confirm the following.
I have heard that 2100 has NO flash ROM. Also SD Card has replaced the Floppy Drive (No Floppy Fitted)

Graham UK

#133409 - 03/12/03 09:01 AM Re: PSR 740 and 2100
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
It's my impression the 2100 OS is essentially the 2000, but with some added Tyros sounds & styles, USB connectivity, and User ROM doubled.

The 2100's price point is also similar to the 2000, so I would expect that the 2100 won't include flash ROM either. Hope I'm 'wrong' on this though.

It would be terrific if Yamaha switched from floppy to flash card memory, but my guess is that the 2100 isn't going the SD (secure digital) route though , because Yamaha already chose the Compact Flash format on the PSR1K. Also, the SD format is the proprietary owned format of their chief keyboard competitor: Panasonic Technics.

If (and that's a BIG if), the PSR2100 indeed incorporates both flash card memory (mass storage) and Flash ROM upgradeability as well, I'll be one of the first in line to get one, to add to my now growing collection of Yamaha arrangers.

Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online