SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133184 - 08/16/07 09:44 AM Re: 3K power cord
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What needs to be developed, IMO, is a much more robust connector between the PS and keyboard. That dinky little connector looks like it was deliberately designed to fail, or do the most damage to the circuit board when inevitably knocked.

Of course, if they DO provide a stronger, proprietary connector, everyone will bitch about how hard they are to find generic replacements, or how expensive they are... What's a poor manufacturer to do...?

#133185 - 08/16/07 10:10 AM Re: 3K power cord
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well the PSR, is (even by Yamaha) considered a "home keyboard", and as long as it's under that label, they will continue to build it as such.

Would it have been so hard for Yamaha to give the upper end PSR's a decent enough connection like you find on the Tyros 2? The production cost on that jack surely wouldn't severly raise the price of the keyboard itself.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133186 - 08/16/07 10:22 AM Re: 3K power cord
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I wouldn't want them (Yamaha) to change a thing about the external power supply...I like it...it makes the keyboard lighter.

In my opinion, a "home keyboard" becomes a "pro keyboard" the moment it is used by a pro.

My early production PSR-3000 is 3 years old, played much more than if used by an average "home" user, and has given no problems regarding the power supply or connectors.

The Tyros2 connector is more robust because the power supply is built in.

Ian

#133187 - 08/16/07 10:31 AM Re: 3K power cord
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In nearly three years of gigging every day with the 3000, I've never had a failure of any kind. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find even a scratch on either of the 3000s I own. Please, no pissing contests!

The power supply permits a wide range of power input, 110 to 240-volts AC. While this covers most of the bases, there are countries that still run on DC power, others run on three phase, etc., therefore the most practical method of powering a keyboard sold worldwide is by using an independent, external source.

For those that wish to be innovative, take a close look a the back of the PSR-3000 and you'll find that just beneath the area where the Video Out, Foot Pedals, etc., connections are located, there is an open space that is indented. Your power supply will fit nicely in that area and can be anchored in place with a patch of Industrial Strength Velcro. Granted, it would be nice if you could fit the supply inside the keyboar's case, but this is a close second. And, I'm also confident you will be able to find a right-angle adapter plug that will allow you to leave it plugged in place at all times, even while being transported in your gig bag. You CANNOT leave the regular plug in during transportation because it projects too far out the back and would be damaged.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#133188 - 08/16/07 10:43 AM Re: 3K power cord
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Gary that's a good idea.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133189 - 08/16/07 10:55 AM Re: 3K power cord
Beakybird Offline

Gary, that is an ingenious idea. I will have to look if that will work with the PSR-S900.

I am very impressed with how well you take care of your keyboards. My PSR-S900 already has a scratch. I am so mad at myself.

Beakybird

#133190 - 08/16/07 11:47 AM Re: 3K power cord
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
IMO, pros have fewer problems with 'home' keyboards because they treat them like 'pro' keyboards.

Cases, covers (vinyl, NOT cloth!), taking care not to knock the connectors, or jerk them out of their sockets, even minor maintenance, ALL these things add up to a much more reliable piece of gear.

If you treat your arranger like a toy, it will behave like one!

#133191 - 08/16/07 11:47 AM Re: 3K power cord
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, I like to look at products in this scenario..

Let's say you buy a new fancy half ton pick up truck..loaded with all the bells and whistles..power everything..
If you are a weekend user and need to haul a few items from Home Depot on weekends ..it will do the job, and last a long time without problems..

Now if you are a Contractor[Pro } and use it everyday, maybe even abuse it with overloading and subject to wear and tear...sure you can still have all the bells and whistles...but this Pro would buy a 3/4 ton truck and heavy duty at that...The return will be a better serving vehicle and less problems with the common breakdowns of lighter equipment..

You can fill in the blanks of any manufacturer and the truth still holds merit..
As an example I can't believe the Roland E-50 is going to do the job day in and day out as the G70 will...The G70 is built to use professionally[as in a heavy duty 3/4 ton pick up]..compared to the intended home use of a E-50...

#133192 - 08/16/07 12:00 PM Re: 3K power cord
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Fran,

I can only cite my own experiences with Yamaha PSR products.

As per what Diki said, I do treat my instruments with great care and respect.

BTW, I had a PSR-2000 before I had the 3k....same scenario...no problems.

Maybe things are different at Roland?

Ian

#133193 - 08/16/07 12:36 PM Re: 3K power cord
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, I was kind and used Roland as an example..

Look around..everyone I know except Gary and you are having breakdown problems on the PSR3000...Surly you did understand my truck example..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online