SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133165 - 11/21/04 06:47 PM Question about USB pen drive.....
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi everyone, I purchased a pen USB 2.0 128 megs.....the PSR 3000 did recognized only a couple times (Random), someone told me that only USB 1.0 drives would work in the PSR, I have tried conecting it several times and does NOT work.....does anyone had a similar experience...?? Thank you all.

------------------
mdorantes

#133166 - 11/21/04 11:17 PM Re: Question about USB pen drive.....
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
mdorantes. As you see I have been having the same problem below.

Having problem with USB Pen Flash Drive. If formatted on 3000 the PC won't recognised the Flash Drive at all.
If the Flash Drive is formatted on the PC and then a file copied to the Flash Drive can not be seen by the 3000. If a file is copied from 3000 on to Flash Drive then the PC can not see the file.
This particular Flash Drive is a Mini King 128mb.

#133167 - 11/22/04 07:21 AM Re: Question about USB pen drive.....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
All of the new flash drives seem to be USB2. I have (had - can't find it)a 128Kb Memorex that is USB1 and it works flawlessly on all my computer apps (don't have a 3k, tho).
I would hope the USB2's are backward compatible and support USB1 at their slower speed. USB2 is a higher speed standard and maybe that is why you are having problems.

#133168 - 11/22/04 03:54 PM Re: Question about USB pen drive.....
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

I would hope the USB2's are backward compatible and support USB1 at their slower speed. USB2 is a higher speed standard and maybe that is why you are having problems.

USB 2.0 IS backward compatible with USB 1.0/1.1. A USB 1 or USB 2 Pen Drive or Thumb Drive should have no bearing as to its ability to work on a Keyboard such as the PSR 3000 or not.

What really counts on the Yamaha PSR 3000 or Motif ES, i.e. [those keyboards that can utilize external USB storage devices] is whether the Pen Drive or Thumb Drive, etc. requires a "Hub" Driver or not. At least on Yamaha ones. If it requires a Hub Driver it will NOT work on the PSR 3000.

A great little Thumb Drive that WILL work for certain on the PSR 3000 or Motif ES is the Lexar USB 2.0 Jump Drive 512 Mb.

I know; I have one and it worked flawlessly on my former Motif ES7. It should work flawlessly on a PSR 3000 too. As would the 256 Mb Lexar Jump Drives. Etc., etc...

Best regards,
Mike

#133169 - 11/22/04 04:23 PM Re: Question about USB pen drive.....
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Four months ago I purchased a KINGSTON pen drive (128 mega) and I didn't have problems.I can load and save files from PC or Psr 3000 quickly .I have a complete set of registrations,styles from CVP,9000,Tyros,Korg,Ketron,Roland and KN 7000 and a lot of .Kar and mid files.
Chico

#133170 - 11/22/04 04:45 PM Re: Question about USB pen drive.....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
"A great little Thumb Drive that WILL work for certain on the PSR 3000 or Motif ES is the Lexar USB 2.0 Jump Drive 512 Mb. "

Yeah, Mike. I just bought one today. Office Max has them for $49.99 with an additional $20 rebate = $29.99. That's 1/2 a gig for $30 - unbelievable.

#133171 - 11/22/04 06:04 PM Re: Question about USB pen drive.....
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
"A great little Thumb Drive that WILL work for certain on the PSR 3000 or Motif ES is the Lexar USB 2.0 Jump Drive 512 Mb. "

Yeah, Mike. I just bought one today. Office Max has them for $49.99 with an additional $20 rebate = $29.99. That's 1/2 a gig for $30 - unbelievable.

That's a great price Cass! I paid much more for mine a little over a year ago.

It's really amazing how the price of Computer parts such as Thumb Drives, etc. are going down drastically in price from just a year ago. Which is a real bonus for the consumer. And I would think Keyboard Manufacturers too. They are able to put in more User Flash Memory and other Computer related parts and features without effectively raising the price of the Keyboard and in most cases even lower the price of the Keyboard. As Roland did with the G70 in that they kept the G70 at a relatively good price point compared to the VA-76 even with that massive amount of User Memory and expansive WAV ROM and other enhanced features on the G70.

That would have been unheard of even a year ago for a Keyboard Manufacturer to include so much Flash User Memory in a Keyboard such as is on the G70, i.e. 50 Mbs'!.

Kudos to Roland for stepping up and giving customers a decent amount of User Memory btw.

Actually if you think about it, lower prices for parts enables Keyboard Manufacturers such as Roland or Yamaha to make extremely advanced Arranger and other type Keyboards and sell them at very reasonable prices [if they so desire]. Although I realize some Manufacturers may not be willing to pass on the savings to their customers, such as Korg didn't do with the Pa1X/PRO IMO.

But if Manufacturers realize that if they DO pass on the savings to their customers it makes more people "able" to 'buy' their product[s] which increases their Market share. If more people are able to buy their product and the product is worth its pound of salt, then they will doubtless sell many more of them which increases their revenue overall and their profit margin in the long run by selling many more Keyboards at a reasonble price vs. selling a few keyboards at an outrageously high price.

Pricing many consumers out of purchasing top of the line Keyboards is not a wise business practice IMO. Lowering prices, i.e. "passing on the savings to the consumer" not only increases revenue by being able for them to sell more Keyboards to more people, but if the Keyboard[s] are of excellent quality and their customer support policies are superior to the competition, then people will continue to buy from them again and again and again and again and again and again...... Ad infinitum. Which increases their customer database, i.e. - increased 'market share' by adding more customers to their ranks, along with the increased revenue and profit margins (over an extended period) that go along with it.

So it's a win win situation IMO if the Manufacturers institute and carry out these consumer friendly initiatives and policies which benefit not only the consumers but also themselves IMO.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Sorry for being long-winded but I was just trying to point a few things out which may not be so obivious to certain Keyboard Manufacturers.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online