SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#132798 - 03/07/02 08:15 AM I30 users ...... I don't get it
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I just picked up an I30 in trade, and I fiddled with it again last night to see if I could remember why I didn't like it the FIRST time I saw one. I'm still stumped.
Maybe it's because alot of the factry stuff has been modified - I don't know. Is there a way to re-initialize this without a disk (I don't have any)
I'd like to give it a fair shake before I sell it, but so far ..... I'm very UNDERwhelmed.....again.

#132799 - 03/07/02 08:29 AM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Dnj Offline

dave,

check this site out for i30 help.

http://www.ralfschiller.de/sta/korgi30.htm

http://silverhawk33.tripod.com/glenskorgsite/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-07-2002).]

#132800 - 03/07/02 08:45 AM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
To bring it up to factory specifications, lay the keyboard on the floor,keys facing down, locate the center of the underside, mark it carefully with a piece of Scotch tape, stand back about two feet and jump squarely on the spot marked with the tape, .If this does not work, try the procedure again..

#132801 - 03/07/02 08:47 AM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dave , Paul Kasper still has one, he will have the factory disk..

#132802 - 03/07/02 09:08 AM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
......If this does not work, try the procedure again..

Thank's Fran,
you really got me laughing here
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#132803 - 03/07/02 10:32 AM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hmmmm... thanks for telling us that NOW Fran.. I always thought to reset the board you had to plug it into a 220 V ac source ( or higher if available ) such as the one your electric dryer would use.

In my favorite music store in Scranton, Pa sits an I30 that is still part of the 'new' stock.. I was wondering what the thing was worth when it was out there new.. I can't remember anymore. I missed the boat ..He had a G1000 there for the longest time ( long after the VA series came out and I hemmed and hawed too long and he finally sold it. I really liked the sounds on the thing, but then again I was baffled by the OS.

Korg AJ

#132804 - 03/07/02 11:17 AM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
UD.You can also download all original i30 software from www.Korg.co.uk

I had an i3 & i30 for a number of years and enjoyed them both. I always thought the voicing was a little harsh and needed some effects tweaking to get them to sound at there best. There is still korg enthusiasts after the i30, so enjoy it for a while.

Graham UK

#132805 - 03/07/02 07:50 PM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Dave, How would you compare the i-30 with the is-40 ----styles and sounds only. I realize the physical differences.
Bill E

#132806 - 03/07/02 11:37 PM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Uncle Dave Offline

I tell ya - so far I ONLY like the sliders! The sounds are So-So, and the buttons are in a weird place... and all look the same!
The is35 had better patterns, as I remember. This piece is strong in the rock styles, but weak almost everywhere else. The swing patterns don't "swing" as well as my old i5s. The patterns are empty compared to my psr2000. I'm going to give it a good workout before I dump it though, because I like the controller features. I have a fully loaded JV1080 in my studio too, so the sounds are not that important to me. I prefer the Roland sounds anyway. I'm really thinking that a VA76 or the new Korg SP500 might end up on my studio desk. This will keep me amused for a bit, though.
If anyone really needs to have this - I can be talked out of it VERY easy right now. Don't wait till I find something to like about it ! At the moment, I want to sell this AND my JV1000, with the sound canvas exp board . Hey Dan0 or George - Make me a VA76 deal with these two in trade! I need something new.

#132807 - 03/08/02 09:25 PM Re: I30 users ...... I don't get it
Uncle Dave Offline

Well, the JV1000 is history, so that leaves me with an I30 that's doing time as my studio controller. I like the key feel - HATE the patterns, LOVE the sliders. Even if it just serves as a drum machine and a controller for my Roland modules ... it'll be OK, I guess.

I'm really surprised at the weakness in the swing patterns that came with it. Anyone have a few jazz and swing patterns I can try to see if it swings better?
I tried a few of the Korg sites, but so far, I haven't heard anything to get excited about. I'd love to hear a few basic, swing and shuffle patterns. The factory styles are killin' me !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online