SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#132721 - 12/11/01 07:30 PM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
danb Offline

Is the built-in harmonizer on PSR2000 the same as the PLG100-VH? Does this plug-in board that can go with S80/CS6x can be compared to the one in the arranger keyboard or external harmonizer like the Vocalist? Let me know before I buy one for myself this Xmas.

#132722 - 12/11/01 08:20 PM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used the external Digitech Harmonizers for years. The latest one I had was the Vocalist II rackmount model. The PSR harmonizer is better than it was and has more useable preset options. I'm sure the newer Digitechs are much improved, just as I'm sure the next generation of keyboards will be better and so on and so on . . . ain't it fun????
I do have a question about the PSR2000 vocal harmonizer though, but I'll start a new string for it.
DonM

#132723 - 12/12/01 07:20 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup,
The Vocalist II was no bargain. That series still sounded robotic, but the smoothness was unbeatable. The biggest trouble with the Yamaha unit is the on/off time lag. I love to punch in the harmonies for a quick phrase here & there, and it has a slight delay sometimes. Same delay happens if you turn the dedicated DSP on/off during singing -- it's coughs a bit. Like I said - It's OK, but just OK. I'm glad it works for most of you, but I seem to color "out of the lines" a lot, and I need the extra versatility to complete my sound.

I admit it - i DO ask a lot from my tools, and lately I just haven't been satisfied. None of it matters to the clients - they think I'm just fine. High Tech and all - if they only knew HOW much I wanted to change things. The music biz is a game with smoke & mirrors, and I've mastered ALL the tricks - it's just more fun when I can concentrate on the show and not the showmanship.

#132724 - 12/12/01 07:54 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Beakybird,

Yes, the MFC10 can be set up to operate almost any keyboard function. I use switches 1 through 4 to activate the drum fills and switch 5 turns vocal harmoney ON/OFF. I use the MFC10's pedal to fade-in/out the R2 instrument (usually strings). Switches 6,7 8, and 9 presently activate the A, B, C, D styles but I rarely use them since I use the fill-up/down switches to change the accompaniment.

The MFC10 is simple to setup. I guess I'm lazy because I haven't even bothered to setup the other levels (over 100 different switch settings). I highly recommend the MFC10 to anyone that wants to keep their hands on the keys instead of pushing buttons.

Regards,
Steve

#132725 - 12/12/01 09:12 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Steve,

I assume that the PSR keyboard's built in harmonizer on/off function is controled via a 'standard midi message', not a sysEx (system exclusive) command, right? If so, can you please provide the following MFC10 parameter settings needed to make this work:

1) Mode: 'Function' or 'Program Change'
1) Status:
2) Data/Ctrl:
3) Bank MSB/Max:
4) Bank LSB/Min:
5) Toggle on-off:

Thanks,

- Scott

#132726 - 12/12/01 11:23 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Stevizard Offline

Scott,

The interface between the 9000PRO and the MFC10 is midi however, no midi programming was required to setup the MFC10. I simply select the functions I want to control from a text menu (it said "Vocal Harmony ON/OFF") and the keyboard sends the correct midi signals. Once I've selected which function is controlled by each switch, I press END. The keyboard saves my settings and remembers them each time I power ON the keyboard. So, once it's setup, you don't have to do it again (you can change it any time you like).

So, anyone (even someone like me that doesn't understand a lot about midi signals) can setup the MFC10 to operate nearly any function on the 9000PRO without having to study the manual. Does the PSR2000 have anything about the MFC10 in it's manual? If so, it may work the same way as the 9000PRO.

I'll check it out tonight for you and see if I can find the info you want. If I find it, then I'll post it tomorrow for you.

Steve

#132727 - 12/12/01 11:47 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Steve,

It appears that the 9000pro includes a special dedicated MFC10 template window which allows you to program the MFC10 pedals directly from the 9000pro itself. Unfortunately the PSR2000 does NOT include this. I must program everything on the MFC10 itself.

Perhaps you can check on the actual 'foot controler #5 pedal' itself and tell me what settings it got assinged to by your keyboard and then I can 'manually' try setting one of my MFC10 pedals to these same values and see if this might work to trigger the vocalizer harmony on/off on the PSR2000.

Again, here are the MFC10 settings I'm looking for:

1) MFC10 Mode: 'Function' or 'Program Change'
2) Status
3) Data/Ctrl
4) Bank MSB/Max
5) Bank LSB/Min
6) Toggle on-off or Number of Pgm

- Scott

#132728 - 12/13/01 06:18 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Stevizard Offline

Scott,

I tried to get you the info you need last night but was unable to access it without the MFC10 template coming up on screen. The 9000PRO knows its connected to the MFC10 and it knows it has an interface template, so as soon as I start to access the info, it slams the template onto the screen. There's got to be a way that I can view the footswitch settings but I had limited time to spend searching. I'll try again tonight.

Hang in there,
Steve

#132729 - 12/13/01 08:35 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Just another "clarification" for my post title - I thought about the use of harmonies and I came up with a major difference between the way I use it, and the way some others do.

In my show -- the harmonies are not background -- they are definitely FOREground, and that's why I demand more from the processor. In a background situation, sure ... most anything is adequate -- but I want more.

I need a special "edge" to the vocal sound, and I can't get it from any of the built in units I've tried. (ALL of them) I did a Christmas show last night and I saw the faces of the crowd everytime I "featured" the vocal group (as it were). It really makes a huge difference in the presentation. It's not for everyone, but for me -- it's EVERYTHING.

I'm officially in high gear from now till the middle of February, and added to the increased tension at home with my darling daughter - I'll be a member in spirit again for a while. Merry Christmas to all, and I wish you well during this joyous and Holy season. Remember, It's not about Santa.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online