SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132539 - 12/11/04 05:10 PM Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Normally I would not post a review of a Clavinova on an Arranger forum. But sometimes a product comes out that is so impressive in looks, feel and style and technologically advanced that its appeal cuts across product boundaries and becomes a universal favorite.

The CVP-309 is a fine example of such an accomplishment and deserves a salute from all music fans. This is the culmination of decades for research at Yamaha R&D and these guys have stuffed the guts of this beast with every advancement in arranger technology known to date. Think of this as the ultimate fusion between an acoustic Grand and a turbo charged Tyros housed in the most elegant polished piano black finish money can buy.

This piano is meant to be the centerpiece of your living room. It will draw oohs and aahs even when it is not playing a single note! The very first thing you will notice when you sit down and rest your fingers is the touch. Man, this thing is incredible. Yamaha went to extraordinary lengths to emulate the action of a real acoustic piano by incorporating an elaborate system of interlocking levers and weights. I was fortunate enough to see a cut out view of how this is assembled. This is plain freakish. I would never have thought I would say this, but the emulation feels better than the real thing. It actually bounces back like a real piano. I actually liked the feel of this to a real acoustic.

Now the sounds. The Grand Piano sample is exquisite. This together with the incredible touch makes you wonder – have we just crossed the point where the emulation excels the real instrument? All the classic DX7 bells are there and well as the Wurlys, Rhodes, Jazz and Gospel organs. All the Tyros voices with the Mega voices are included. I felt they sounded even better on the CVP-309. Could it be better filters and D/A converters? Yamaha left nothing to chance. GM, GM2, XG, Mega Voices, Sweet/Live voices – you name it – its there. Be prepared to be amazed by the Trumpets, Strings, Harmonicas and Accordions. Every patch has been edited to perfection with just the right amount of vibrato, sustain, effects and EQ. They got rid off all the annoying sounds. You can be rest assured there will be no rude surprises.

The display is gorgeous – multicolor 640x480 VGA LCD that can be mimicked on a TV. You can show the lyrics or the score just like a Tyros. The navigation and menus are pretty much the same as the Tyros. It even has red and green guiding lights above the keys to teach someone how to play. It has a fancy vocal harmonizer, a very powerful sound system with multiple speakers plus a microphone that picks up your room reflections and auto adjusts for the right amount of ambience to the final sound. It has USB, a Smart Media slot, and even a floppy drive – a perfect marriage of old and new technology. It has all the accompaniment modes – single, fingered, full keyboard, AI – no matter what your preference is – you are covered.

The styles are typical Yamaha. Very playable even by inexperienced keyboardists. Chord changes are smooth. The styles are the only department where Yamaha fails to dethrone the Pa1X. But with a little patience you can copy the Pa1X styles and create your custom ones from scratch. Yamaha, you should hire Stephen Kay of Korg to spruce up your styles.

To summarize, if you were a piano player and couldn’t afford to have your own grand piano, and wished to enhance your playing with the backing of a top-notch orchestra, the CVP-309 is your dream come true. This is not suitable for gigging musicians. But still, I would encourage everyone to at least go to a Yamaha dealership and check this thing out. It is Yamaha’s statement to what can be done with a cost no object design.

Yamaha has introduced two ground breaking arrangers. On one end we have the CVP-309 and on the other end we have a small wonder – the PSR3000. Now lets wait to see what they do with the Tyros II. Heck, I will settle for 76 keys. Semi-weighted will do just fine.

Tapas

#132540 - 12/11/04 06:49 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
For more info and discussion there is a very good CVP User's Group here:
http://www.cvpug.com/index.php

#132541 - 12/11/04 08:05 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
Tapas Offline

Thanks a million to the Pro!!!

You found me an excellent CVP Users Group. I became a member and found out within 30 mins of browsing that you can buy the CVP-309PE from www.PianoDepot.com for under $6000.

I am thrilled to find that there are over 2000 members who cherish the CVP/CLP line of digital pianos.

The Pro is all over the place. How do you keep track of so many things?

Tapas

#132542 - 12/12/04 03:36 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
ailev Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
And what is the difference between CVP-309 and Tyros (exept price and 88 weighted keys)? CVP-309 looks like expensive Tyros Pro with loudspeakers...

#132543 - 12/12/04 06:40 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
Beakybird Offline

Ailev: The CVP2xx line had a group of voices called Natural! voices. I imagine that the CVP3xx line has this and more. Natural! voices like Natural! piano are much much bigger in memory than the Tyros' Live! Piano.

Stylewise, you are correct. Both keyboards play the same styles the same way.

With the CVP line, you are getting something much closer to a real grand piano sound.

The thing is, I would be willing to shell out $2500 every two years to upgrade technology, but $6000? The Tyros will probably lose $800 on resale in six months. The CVP309 will probably lose at least $2000.

Beakybird

#132544 - 12/12/04 07:31 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
with the CVP-309 you are getting 128+128 polyphony,mike

#132545 - 12/12/04 08:38 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
Tapas Offline

Beakybird is correct. Looks like the CVP-309 has an enhanced set of Natural Voices not found in the Tyros. The Grand Piano patch is 54MB. No wonder it sounds to real.

The keys are actually made of wood. They do not use any springs to create a sense of false stiffness or any oil damping mechanism to control its motions. Rather it sticks to levers just like in an acoustic piano. You can repeatedly hit the same key as fast as you want just like in a real piano and it bounces back.

I mentioned earlier that the P250 has the best touch found on an electronic piano. I take it back. I believe the CVP-309 not only perfectly emulates the feel of an acoustic grand, it surpasses it. It is hard to describe unless you let your fingers fly on this thing.

Tapas

[This message has been edited by Tapas (edited 12-12-2004).]

#132546 - 12/12/04 11:38 AM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
ailev Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
Thanks, I got it:

CVP-309 = Tyros + Natural! voices + 88 wood key kbd + better loudspeakers + wood body + ~$3000

#132547 - 12/12/04 12:33 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I'm looking both for an arranger and digital piano to replace my Yamaha P80.
I wonder what will be the better choice, a Tyros and a CLP Clavinova or a CVP 307/309?

#132548 - 12/12/04 04:24 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
Beakybird Offline

Reading the description of the CVP309, it looks like Yamaha uses some other technologies to make the piano and other voices reverberate with the wood. It looks like an extroardinary instrument. I wonder, however, why these grands don't have modulation or pitch bend.

Beakybird

#132549 - 12/12/04 05:05 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I tend to think both options would have their pro's & cons.
With a CVP you've only got the one unit. To me it looks better if the piano resides in your main living area the way mine does. My husband was not overly impressed when I midied my 2 keyboards to it. They became the focal point of the living room.
Plus side, for a CLP plus a keyboard would be, the keyboard is portable, plus if you feel you need to update the arranger section, you'd only need to update your keyboard, not the piano.

It's a case of what best suits you & your lifestyle.

I have a CP170. I ended up using my laptop and arranger software for my arranger functions.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by tonkan:
I'm looking both for an arranger and digital piano to replace my Yamaha P80.
I wonder what will be the better choice, a Tyros and a CLP Clavinova or a CVP 307/309?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#132550 - 12/12/04 07:07 PM Re: Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309 – The Ultimate Grand Piano/Arranger
Tapas Offline

Hi Tonkan,

Why don’t you keep using the P80. It is a pretty good digital piano with a very nice 88 note keybed. Just add the PSR1500 to get the rhythm and styles. This is the cheapest solution.

If you are inclined in replacing your P80, you could get the Professional Stage Piano – the P250 for $1800 and add the PSR3000 for another $1400. This setup will give you all the basic functionality of any CLV/CVP series.

As Rikki stated, the only downside is it would not look as elegant.

Tapas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online