SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132360 - 07/25/06 12:31 PM How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi folks. when I attempted to reply to: SZ member "MDorantes: following posting thread , I got an http error message. I've since learned (from our Moderator, Nigel) that this occured because a special character (in this case: percent signs) was included in the topic heading.

To allow people to reply to Manuel Dorantes pertinent arranger keyboard topic queston, I re-posted Manuel's original topic thread question here, and encourage input:

Quote:
Originally posted by MDorantes:
I wonder how many of the ARRANGER synthzone members use their boards.
Most performers around the Phoenix AZ area, use the styles in at least 95% if not the total of the performance, but lets say that some may use 5% SMF playback.
I am aware that in Europe, users are more likely to use SMF/MP3 playback that is one of the reasons the modules like Midjay, Galileo and Genius are "hot".
It should be interesting to see how many use it in what way.

#132361 - 07/25/06 01:00 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Playing the keyboard is a hobby for me. I personally hate the idea of playing midi files on a keyboard even if i mute the main part and play it myself. It just doesnt feel right. If i want to play a midi file i use my pc...for me its a rule to be in control of everything..that way theres a greater sense of originality too.

#132362 - 07/25/06 01:18 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I never use SMF and I agree with rolandfan...I like having control over the chord changes and the direction of the song.

Ian

#132363 - 07/25/06 01:39 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, you could try just muting the instrument parts and go with B&D, or play as much as you can and put in what parts you need........ Some of the newer arrangers allow you to put in 'markers' to allow you to re-arrange an SMF just like you were playing a Style,,,,,,,,,

For me, the biggest advantage of SMFs is that I can use my left hand for the bender for solos, close to impossible if you've GOT to trigger the chords, plus it allows me to take the odd trombone solo.......... try doing THAT in arranger mode.

Don't get me wrong, arranger mode (or LH bass and arranger drums) are all useful modes for many songs, but don't get too tied to any one mode, they ALL have their uses.......... You wouldn't go round a golf course with just a 3-iron, would you? Everybody needs a putter and a little wood from time to time ;-)

#132364 - 07/25/06 01:44 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Been playing organs and keyboards for 28 years or so and I've never once had to use a GM/SMF for any song I've wanted to play.
Obviously the arranger styles are pre recorded notes etc but you lot know what I mean - Keep it 100% live as possible, that's my motto.
I do actually do backing tracks for singers on the pro UK club circuit and some who do the ships and army bases using things like Pro tools, Cubase.... but that's a hobby of mine when I've not got my head buried in a synth or T2.
I always tweak any keyboard I have rather than use the internal styles and sound set. I think it's a must for anyone to learn how to use what they've purchased if they've got the time and know how, editing sounds and styles opens up a whole new ball game and you reap the rewards at the end of all your hard work put in.
Enjoy your music, you only live once

#132365 - 07/25/06 03:39 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
I use internal styles, many tweaked, 95 per cent of the time. Of the 120-some songs in our duo's repertoire I use SMFs for six songs which I feel I can't get close enough with the keyboard alone.

#132366 - 07/25/06 09:19 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
This is an old question and a hot one too.

What I like in an arranger is the versatility, the great variety of ways it can be used to play and/or entertain. I use my arrangers in every possible way:

1) In a pop/rock band I mostly use it like a synthetizer. When the bassist misses rehersals I play LH bass a lot. Most used sounds: piano, rhodes, organ, violin, bagpipes, some guitars, strings, fingered bass, some layered sounds.

2) In a duo with a guitarrist I never use SMF(s). Sometimes auto accomp mode, other times just LH bass and RH comping or melody with or without the drum loops.

3) In typical solo dance gigs (weddings, for example) I use styles and SMFs (50/50) and tend to use the SMF(s) more in the dancing part of the gig.

4) When I play at home I never use SMF(s). Styles and LH_Bass/RH with/without drums is how I like to have fun.

'Hope this contributes to a civilized discussion

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 07-25-2006).]

#132367 - 07/25/06 09:35 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
.......... You wouldn't go round a golf course with just a 3-iron, would you? Everybody needs a putter and a little wood from time to time ;-)

hey diki... seve ballesteros could!!!he does things (golf wise!) with a 3 iron you would'nt believe
dennis

#132368 - 07/26/06 08:24 AM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Seve could probably do any gig in arranger mode, too........

Me, I'm human - I like to keep my options open!

#132369 - 07/26/06 11:19 AM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
I use about 50% Song specific styles.
This way you get the song recognizable Intro and the song specific groove, but then have the freedom to play it any way and how long you want it.

Aaaaah; I love arrangers.

Eric

#132370 - 07/26/06 06:57 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Manuel... and Scott:

My old arranger is used for songwriting. I spend lots of time "tweaking" styles so that the songs I write don't re-use the same sounds over and over again. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to improvise by playing the intro, instrumental and/or ending just to avoid repititious sounding work. Since I never perform in public, I have much more time to devote to style arranging, etc. than those of you who have the talent (and guts) to perform in public.

Finally, I never do "cover" songs so whatever I do to my own material is inconsequential. My goal for August is to cross the 400 song mark. (Just completed number 387 today!) I work in several genres but my first album on CDBaby is "Country" because of my immediate regional market.

Wish I had the singing and playing talent of Scott Yee and Don Mason. Those guys are awesome.

All my best,

Dave Rice http://cdbaby.com/cd/daverice

#132371 - 07/27/06 09:11 AM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dave, just had a chance to listen to your album "CDBaby". VERY Kool collection of winning songs. I love your offbeat imaginative (kitschy) lyric writing style and how your able to so successfully utilize such a variety of different styles to your songs. I'm only sorry that "CDbaby" (aka : Adult Country Music in a Plain Brown Wrapper) is now "Permanently Out Of Stock".

Scott

PS: Many thanks for your compliment about my music. I feel humbled to be placed in the same standing as Don Mason, whom I so admire & respect as well.

#132372 - 07/27/06 12:54 PM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Scott:

Thanks for the nice comments about my digital album at CDBaby. It is permanently out of stock because I signed up for digital distribution only. (Trying to attract the iPod crowd.) I just did not want to get into a situation where I had to press a few hundred discs, jackets, etc. This album is primarily to "test the waters" before I put another couple of albums on the same site.

All my best,

Dave Rice

#132373 - 07/28/06 06:47 AM Re: How do you use the ARRANGER keyboards: Style playing and/or SMF playing????
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don't use an arranger for 50% of my jobs. When I do, I use left handed bass and drums only for 50% and arranger functions for 50%. Never use SMS/sequences at all. That's as much a function of the type of jobs as anything else.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online