Topic Options
#132021 - 11/15/04 05:41 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Phil your getting fickled...
Don't even think about CTK-731...
Get the low end wk-3000 or wk-3500...
Or look for a psr540 or a psr550..
A psr540 on ebay just went for $250 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=3758098141&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
And a psr550 went for $327
Both great boards and imo better than the WK.. although some fokls don't agree...
here's a bid for a 540 and a bid for a 550 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=3762006276&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=3761504931&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Although if you just want to get your feet wet you can get the psr292... great board for the bucks and once you figure out if you like it or not put it up on ebay... you'll likely loose 30 bucks, but that's a hell of a nice rental fee for 6 months of trying it out..

As far as cool edit 2 which now is adobe audition 1.5...I suggest you go to http://www.adobe.com They have wav loops you can download and you could do a whole song with those loops using your cool edit 2... Anyway... Yes you could layer your tracks from the keyboard in wave format to Cool Edit and you have a 128 tracks and effects to mess with... But you better have a big hard drive and a fast processor... So if you take that path you better find the keyboard with the best sounds... Cause cool edit is not a midi program... It going to record the sound that comes out of the board...

Just my cents..
DJ

#132022 - 11/15/04 05:54 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Thanks for the useful info beach, just curious why dont you like the CTK-731? So your saying that if I record to cool edit, edit and layer it there, save it, I cant play the full song on the board via floppy? Sorry I got kind of confused. I have plenty fast comp though.

I really like the synth capability of the ctk-731.

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 11-15-2004).]

#132023 - 11/15/04 06:32 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
beachbum Offline

No, you can't bring it back to a floppy... The only way you can record anything to a floppy is to use a midi program... like cakewalk... You could then record your tune to the computer then make a disk... although that is going to take a lot of research on your part... I suggest you check this site on midi recording... http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html

Another way is to use your built in sequencer in the keyboard itself... I know the PSR 540 and 550 both have 16 track built in sequencers you can save the files on a floppy. That's how I record all my stuff on the psr2000... I play each part on diffrent tracks on the keyboard and save it to disk... I then do all the mixing on the board... panning left and right and changing instruments and bringing volume levels up and down on each track... Then I hit the play button when I'm ready and it records to Audition 1.5 (Which is a Cool edit upgrade, Adobe bought cool edit..)After, I can do vocal tracks into a mixer into the computer... All done in audition.. I'll try to explain further...
Pro edit is an audio program it only records audio, or wave files from your keyboard.. They are recorded exactly as they sound. You can do track by track up to 128 then use effects and mix them down to a single wave file that you'd put on a CD, or make an mp3 out of... Cool edit is pure recording software... There.

As for the Casio... The model you want they sell mostly in europe and have not seen one around these parts... As a beginner it's important that you get a board a lot of folks know about... That way when you need help you more likley to get it...
That's all for me.
DJ

#132024 - 11/15/04 06:50 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks for the new knowledge DJ, it starting to clear out a bit. How cheap can I get a midi program? I just like the control of using and perfecting the song on my computer with a program that is simple yet effective to use and from there get it onto a floppy that is compatible to be played on the board. What i was invisioning is that I would have most of the tracks minus one and on live stage performing I would play one role while the others are going. That way I can get the sound that I want with multiple tracks and play one along with it. Is this possible wihtout buying hundred dollar programs and hudred dollar sound cards?

Im very interested in the PSR550, i didnt know you could find them that cheap, i thought they were 500ish

Thanks a bunch,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 11-15-2004).]

#132025 - 11/15/04 07:21 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
beachbum Offline

Phil, All the boards you listed are capable of midi... But the 550 also has a real nice sequencer for you to play around with... I think you need to get your hands on a board and explore it for yourself... All those midi files you can download on web sites... They all sound pretty crappy coming out of your PC speakers.. But once you copy'em to a floppy and play them through your board your going to understand a little more what we're taking about... Plus you need to learn styles and all those types of functions that will really give you an idea of what an arranger board can do...
Pro tools has a free trail you can mess with that a bit.. It's cheap... You can also try out sonar the more high dallar stuff as well for free... Don't worry... I was in your shoes once and I eventually figured it out... God luck.. It's real exciting in the begining... Just make sure you make the right choices... Especially if you don't have the wallet to make the wrong ones...
This is what you'll need in the end.
Keyboard.
Mixer.
Mic.
Software
headphones & speakers...
and don't forget the cables... They ain't cheap either... Then your good to go...
DJ

#132026 - 11/15/04 07:37 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
Pennywizz6 Offline

Hoofta, hmm alrighty hehe. Lets see, the PSR550 has a mixer that is taken care of i think. If I cant get my hands on a midi program is it possible to send the files to somebody and they convert them and put them on a floppy? Id obviously pay for it, but overall i still think it might same me some dough. My main concern is not being able to afford it all! But I dont want to get junk either. Heres what im thinking...

Ill bid on the 550 wish me luck.
If that fails ill look at the wk3000 and the european board. I have headphones and a 1/4 converter.

Will a guitar amp work? I know it wont be the best option, but its what i have to work with.

Last what type of cables will I need?

Thanks!!!!

Phil

#132027 - 11/15/04 09:40 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
beachbum Offline

Hi phil,
just get a board... work with it for a while... If it's used I'm sure your not going to loose a lot of dogh by selling it... Just do some research I recommend you read that article I sent you a link to...

If you want to go mega cheap buy a $50 board that has midi from the pawn shop... buy some cakewalk on ebay and write your tunes... when done have someone do the mix down on a good board...
I think you have enough advise you need to get your feet wet... the 550 would be a great starter board... was one of my fav's
DJ

#132028 - 11/16/04 08:39 AM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
Lets see, the PSR550 has a mixer that is taken care of i think. If I cant get my hands on a midi program is it possible to send the files to somebody and they convert them and put them on a floppy?
Phil

The PSR550 saves MIDI files directly onto floppy disk.
Power Tracks Pro can be used to manipulate MIDI files on your computer or you can record the output from the PSR550's MIDI connector's onto your computer (using Power Tracks). http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm
The PSR550 sweet voices are excellent, especially the sweet flute. The piano's are ok, the quitar's are good and lots of them, sax's are good, organs are good (with swirling Leslie SIM)

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 11-16-2004).]

#132029 - 11/17/04 07:07 PM Re: Newb Buying a Keyboard
Pennywizz6 Offline

Rats! The PSR550 is no longer available for bidding!!! That sucks, oh well, if anybody sees a good deal on a keyboard, used or new. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Phil

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online