SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131578 - 10/29/05 01:00 PM Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As you all know, I utilize the Tyros "MusicFinder" as a convenient central database to store & quickly call up all songs (+800) in my song performance repetoire. I of course will utilize custom regs for some specially arranged songs, but the simplicity and faster song search/loading time MusicFinder affords makes it far better for 'on the fly' performance.

Regretably, on Tyros1, MusicFinder was limited to only accessing (linking) to preset & custom styles located in Tyros PRESET & USER memory. Because USER memory space is so severely limited (3.2 MB), the need to link to custom styles stored on USB Memory Stick and/or Tyros HD was a feature many of us were hoping for with Tyros2. I was even assured that this was indeed added with Tyros2, but after having had 2 different Tyros2 owners perform this test on their Tyros2, it appears that this was not added with Tyros2 afterall. This comes as a BIG disaspointment, especially considering the fact that I was informed otherwise. I only hope Yamaha will look into this immediately. Thank you. - Scott

#131579 - 10/29/05 02:05 PM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, so everything you here from Yamaha, isn't true!!!

#131580 - 10/29/05 02:34 PM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
Scottyee Offline

You mean, 'there is NO Santa Claus'?!

#131581 - 10/29/05 02:41 PM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
You mean, 'there is NO Santa Claus'?!

NO SANTA????.... Oh No!...
... and I was hoping he'll get me a G70 for Christmas...

------------------
Yamaha PSR9000, PSR730, Korg Karma, X5D, Yamaha Tyros2 and Korg PA1X Pro on it's way smile

#131582 - 10/30/05 12:45 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
miker Offline

Loc: uk
I'm a new Tyros 2 owner and I'm pretty sure the memory upgrade possible with DIMM memory modules will take you up to 1GB User memory (for about £70) - that should be enough shouldn't it)

Incidentally you can install a HD up to 137GB theoretically but it has only been tested to 100GB

#131583 - 10/30/05 05:14 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
Roel Offline

Scott,

I have not tested yet.... to be honest I almost NEVER use the musicfinder.
For me the best way is using te registrations - feature.

For example :
I created about 40 reg-blocks (block 1 to 39) with 8 presets each (1-8). In our songbook every song has a few figures written to it that represent : Block# + preset#

Lots of parameters can be stored into the regs : song, style, voice, tempo, transpose, harmony, sounds, HDR, pedal, output, intro, variation, scaling, mic-settings and text.... just tick what you want

Perhaps you should change method of working ?
Believe me it's the easiest/fastest way to change songs (three seconds to swap)

#131584 - 10/30/05 05:26 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
as you already know, I have to agree with Roel: the Registrations offer a much more complete way of storing one's data. I like to tweak a lot of parameters (especially the effects and the Eq sends) and the Music Finder simply won't allow me to store these. On the other hand, the Tyros (1 & 2) is such a powerful and also easy to edit keyboard that it would be a pity to play it just the way it is, without personalizing things a bit.
Come on... time to be flexible and adapt yourself to reality!

#131585 - 10/30/05 07:07 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
(three seconds to swap)[/B]

Roel:
I've just finished setting up the lap top on the keyboard and I'm finding its taking me about 20 seconds from end of one to start of next. I click on the first letter of the song scroll to the song (ck notes of which regs needed) and then page up to the correct bank and punch 1-8, am I doing something wrong or just need more practice??? Its taking to long I've tried just using the keyboard on the laptop and I also have a radio mouse just under the keyboard on the right, about the same time either way??? what do you think???

#131586 - 10/30/05 07:52 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
Scottyee Offline

Roel & Dreamer (Andrea):

I of course fully agree that creating & utilizing registrations is a much more powerful approach. In fact, if you guys 're-read' my initial post, I too utilize custom registration bank files for my 'specially arranged' (50-60+) songs. But I also have 100's of other songs I know & perform as well, and need a way to organize and call them up QUICKLY for 'on the fly' performance.

What the MusicFinder provides is a central (database) to quickly store, and call up 'any' song in your repertoire (in my case 800+) in under 8 seconds. In addition, MusicFinder includes a power search function which allows you to sort & call up songs by tempo, style, genre, or any other custom search criteria you create. This is an essential tool for LIVE performers. For example, if I get a request for a Sinatra tune, I can quickly call up on the fly, in MusicFinder, all songs that fit this specific criteria, and then be able to freely pick & choose from the MusicFinder search result list, the song(s) most fitting, or even create an 'on the fly' medley performance. The 'on the fly' performance flexibility is limitless.

I really appreciate how Yamaha includes a wonderful database of 100's of popular songs, but that ONLY serves as a starting off point for creating your own 'custom' MusicFinder database which includes only 'all of the songs' you may perform.

IMPORTANT: The first thing I do is backup the MFD (musicfinder database) file that Yamaha includes. Now I'm able to freely edit/delete existing MFD entries, deleting songs I would never play, and adding new songs unique to my repertoire. My MusicFinder database remains continuously fluid as it only takes a few minutes (sometimes seconds) to conveniently add new songs. I may get an audience request, or something may pop into my head during a break, and I'm able to quickly add this song to my MusicFinder database. The huge advantage of the MusicFinder is that it provides a SINGLE convenient place to store, sort, search, and quickly call up any/all repetoire songs.

The one limitation with the MusicFinder feature (as it is now) is that it only allows you to call up PRESET Styles, and a very limited number of custom USER MEMORY styles (less than 3 MB worth). As I generally tweak PRESET styles (including OTS settings) to my personal liking, these would have to be re-saved as a custom USER MEMORY style to be utilized thru MusicFinder, thus, extending MusicFinder's ability to call up Custom Styles from remote media (HD & USB Flash) would greatly expand the power of the MusicFinder to access any number of custom STYLES, of which to fulfill any/all your performance songs. I've long pressed for Yamaha to include this, and was recently assured (perhaps mistakenly?) that it had been added on Tyros2, as the Yamaha contacts I spoke with appeared to fully understand the huge benefit of this kind of feature enhancement. I will of course follow up, and have faith that this will be added in a near future Tyros2 OS update.

My intention was not to knock Tyros2 before it is hardly out of the gate. I've lived with MusicFinder the way it is with Tyros1, and can certainly work around it (for now) with Tyros2 as well. Like I said before, I'm not beholden to a particular brand/model kb, and will continuously to freely point out BOTH what "I LIKE" and "don't like" about whatever keyboard I play/own to further promote the continuing advancement & improvement of arranger keyboards. On that note, I anxiously await the arrival of MY Tyros2 so I can join you guys in the thrill of Tyros2 ownership. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-30-2005).]

#131587 - 10/30/05 08:39 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott

In addition to all the other excellent points already made here, I thought I would mention that I do not believe it is physically possible for the MFD (in it's current form) to call up records in removable storage. According to Michael Bedesem, who understand a lot about how these things work, the MFD relies on an internal numbering system. This numbering system gets altered every time any style file changes anywhere on the hard drive or USB memory. After any change, the MFD will be linked incorrectly because the internal numbering system will be off. Unless Yamaha completely re-writes the software for the MFD, it won't work with external (changeable) media.

Michael B does read these posts, so I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong. I sure hope Yamaha will fix this. They have had ample time, and customer demand, to to do this.

Tom G.

[This message has been edited by TomTomSF (edited 10-30-2005).]

#131588 - 10/30/05 09:31 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
Roel Offline

This is how we work during a perfomance :

We (Wietse & I) both have our songbook with songs ordered the same way. In the books every song has an 'own' page-number, so we only have to communicate the next songs' pagenumber.

e.g. In my book 'New York' has pagenumber 65 and 'New York' got registration-address 'Block 15, preset 4'.
So I press 'Bankselect', 'P2', 'Reg.mem 4'.... ready !!

In my view the MF is not the correct feature to search on the fly.

Ideal solution :
On the music-stand a small booklet with your repertoir-list (database) including the Reg.mem. address.

Calling a reg.mem. adjusts the T2 and shows sheetmusic and/or lyrics-chords on a separate 15"TFT screen(s).

You can sell your other electronic-songbook Scott ..... you won't need it anymore !

#131589 - 10/31/05 04:10 AM Re: Tyros2 MusicFinder: Very Disappointing Discovery !
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I would like to be able to use the MFD on my Tyros but as we all agree registrations are much more appropriate.

When I gig, like Roel I have a physical list of my songs - This is split into two sections. Section 1 lists them all alphabetically and section 2 is by (broad) style type.

Then if I think of a song to play or have a request to find then I quickly look down the alpha list and punch in the 3 digit numeric code to recall the reg. Alternatively, when the crowd ure up dancing, I look at my styles list to find similar stuff to allieviate "dead time" and keep'em on the floor.

I would have thought that if you have all your registrations stored in user memory it should be technically possible to have a music finder that simply allows you to identify your reg using whatever criteria you search on.

I need reg's as these give me the following

Transposition (I don't play well in F# or B)
Vocal harmony and mic settings
Lyrics or prompts on screen
Alternative solo voices to the OTS
Alternative DSP/effect settings
Accomp changes (Mutes, alternative drumkits etc)
Keyboard setup (full keyboard mode or split).
Which variation to start on and use.

The above are what I need over and above what the MFD gives (Style and tempo) and this all happens by just punching in the reg no, selecting which ever reg button (this is always No 1 for me as I only use one reg per song) and pressing go.....

Please - please Yamaha - Give us an indexed Reg list instead.

Well - that's my rant over..

Regards - Keith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online