SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#131471 - 09/26/07 08:35 PM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Dennis, the part I agree with is that pro's sound like pro's and any musician can spot the difference between a pro and an amateur. I don't know what that (observation) has to do with my character.

I don't want to speak for Mo (who is perfectly capable of speaking for himself), but I think his beef is mainly with those who constantly tout themselves as consumate pro's but clearly don't play at a professional level. Couple that with a "bully" mentality and you can expect to see that person come take some heat when they put out a "suspect" product.

Nobody cares if you're an amateur or a pro, just don't pretend you're an astronaut 'cause you've had a couple of flying lessons.

chas

#131472 - 09/26/07 09:55 PM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I came here to learn from others and to pay back by imparting learning when I'm able. no other reason. I've also had fun participating in the shenanigans that go on here, as well as the serious debates. I have to trust when some give advice that they are truly knowledgeable.. and competence is part of that. One tends to listen when the manner is helpful and the aura is expert. That aura gets shattered when I hear what some post in samples. it's disconcerting and disturbing. there are many ways to compare a t2 piano to a Roland, in a store, in website samples, in comparison sites, etc..etc.. for difference between the pianos. one doesn't have to be a great player for someone else to learn from..but now i have to have 2nd thoughts based on hearing someones's samples, re taking advice to heart from that player re equipment, etc. .Sorry, I'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings gratuitously, but sometimes there's no way to avoid that except to keep silent and I don't think anybody learns anything that way. some here require nothing but support..i call that lookin for love in all the wrong places. you want love, get a dog.(or play your ass off and I'll love you even if you are a nasty sob) I'm not here to make friends but to learn. period.

------------------
Miami Mo

#131473 - 09/27/07 03:01 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It is amazing how the reason for a post is covered by other subjects. The post starts by giving the reason for the post and then away it goes to the land of debate and sometimes cruel remarks.

I remember posting a subject where I needed some help. I mentioned stopping a music store and receiving poor service and then asked my question. In the first 8 replies I only one answer to my question, the others were off demolishing the store. I wonder where the benefit is.

I must say that some of the stuff that goes on here at this forum IS enjoyable. And so are some of the characters.

John C.

#131474 - 09/27/07 05:01 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Now ban my ass....

NO, DIKI, NO! Don't sacrifice yourself on the funeral pyres of martydom. Then I'd probably have to go over to the Roland Arranger board to see an occasional ripped-out jugular. You are one of the characters (along with Mo, Scott Yee, Ian, Fran, Donny, et al) that John C. finds so enjoyable. John C. himself is one of the "characters" that I enjoy. I love his stories and his many insights into our musical past and although I may not always agree with his assessment of talent, I know that in some cases he chooses being supportive over being completely candid. .....and in SOME cases, that's okay.

chas

#131475 - 09/27/07 06:53 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
There are people on sz who are working a lot
of gigs, who are giving others serious musical advice,
who are getting involved in heated debates-- who
post samples that are not professional. By
professional I don't mean Michel Camilo and
Oscar Peterson, I don't even mean top studio
recording artists. i just mean very competent. I just mean professional. If you
are busy doing a lot of gigs you are supposedly professional, no?
I am all for encouraging people and all for
civility in dialogue, and all for having all kinds of players at all levels participate on
SZ. It just bugs me that those that represent
themselves as pros don't sound to me like pros, and then they funfa and say things like
"i wasn't really performing, just trying to
demonstrate blah-blah-blah. Hey if you are a
player you are a player, and you sound good--
you may make a mistake here and there, who doesn't, but you always sound like a pro.

I am with you all the way, Mo!

#131476 - 09/27/07 07:11 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
ve-ry interesting...

#131477 - 09/27/07 08:37 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
The G-70 link doesn't work for me, but I really like the Tyros 2 demo, even though I'm tired of the Yamaha piano sound. I thought his piano playing was really good as well - very relaxing and an enjoyable listen.

Carrie

#131478 - 09/27/07 09:23 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
ve-ry interesting...

I concur. This thread has become interesting. Not in the fashion of worthwhile topical interest. But more of a multi-car highway fatality. This thread started out innocuous and without malice toward anyone, and has spiraled down to the level of Professional Vs. Amateur. I guess I don't understand the lack of common courtesy other than to say that it is not so common anymore. We sit in our private space and rail against people that we have never met and don't really know. I guess at some point in time some members have had the feelings injured and are just lashing out in retaliation.

In an effort to clarify the original thread topic. I (TwoNuts... aka Dennis L. Almond) posted a small 2 minute demo of solo piano recoded on my Tyros 2. This was to offer another manufacturers digital piano sample for members to hear without going to another website such as the piano shootout. I wanted to follow up to Frans G70 piano demo. I did not post in malice to say I am better than you or mine is better than yours. But rather to share another piano tone from a keyboard that many people have neither played or own.
Following that original post Donny was kind enough to insert a link to Frans original post of the G70 piano sample. And from that , this is where we have arrived. Very interesting indeed.

It really is no wonder that people are apprehensive to post any personal performances on this forum. I tend to think that the vitriolic criticism that can ensue makes other members shy away from subjecting themselves to that kind of criticism. In the end I believe that most of us post music on the forum because it makes us feel good. Pro or Amateur, there really shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#131479 - 09/27/07 10:21 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
professional [ pr fshən'l, pr fshnəl, prə fshən'l ]

adjective

Definition:

1. of profession: relating to or belonging to a profession
professional people

2. following occupation as paid job: engaged in an occupation as a paid job rather than as a hobby
professional tennis player

3. businesslike: conforming to the standards of skill, competence, or character normally expected of a properly qualified and experienced person in a work environment
professional attitude

4. very competent: showing a high degree of skill or competence
did a very professional job

5. doing something habitually: habitually, and usually annoyingly, indulging in a particular activity
a professional complainer

Number two expains it.

Number 5 is a great example of what happens to often online.

Too many number 5's

I've heard some amatures that could blow the socks off many professionals. I think some folks are way to anxious to slip a dig in.

Oh in case your wondering I'm not good enough to be a rank amatature but enjoy my own racket.

PLAY NICE KIDDIES

Go make some music lighten up and find something to laugh about.

Jerry

#131480 - 09/27/07 11:39 AM Re: Naked Tyros 2 Piano
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It surprises me too how many people simply act like total jerks. This thread is about the piano sound on the Tyros 2 ... that was all. Why in the hell was this diverted to become a personal attack?

If you want to bicker about who is or isn't the best player, then do it in The Bar. That is where that sort of BS belongs. And it certainly isn't appropriate on a thread where that sort of input wasn't even asked for.

Now I can't even leave this thread to continue because I don't trust people to discuss this in a civilized manner. Sorry about that Dennis.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online