#131447 - 08/27/00 12:05 PM PSR style compilation CD volume one available
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
The public domain PSR style compilation CDrom volume one is now available
from my website, www.svpworld.com. Nearly 4000 individual styles for Yamaha
PSR keyboards supporting the SFF (Style File format). Compiled from egroups
and web sites all around the world, this compilation should save many hours
of searching, downloading and uncompressing. The styles are all ready to go,
simply copy the ones you need to a blank floppy and load them into your PSR.
The cd can be ordered online using a secure order form or by post (details
on the website). I have also included a few of my own styles for 730/740 on
the CD.

For further information, visit http://www.svpworld.com/stylescd.htm

Regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#131448 - 09/02/00 01:43 PM Re: PSR style compilation CD volume one available
Clif Anderson Offline

Got mine! Nice package with picture of 740. Has a lot of styles I did not have before, but also has duplicates and triplicates. (3 Zhivagos of same date and size) The whole thing fills up about 10% of a CDROM. I think rather than Volume 1 this could be be 1st edition.

I use media player 2 to play the sty files. The first time I double clicked on a sty file it asked me what I wanted to use to open them. I picked mplayer2. It works on most style files, but there are many that will not open. I cannot tell what the difference is. While the styles are not very musical (only one chord), this is an easy way to get a feel for a style.

The CD could use some organization. Right now it qualifies as shovelware. However, the shovel is in a gold mine, so I am not complaining. Anyway, everyone will want to organize differently. In any event, I would consider this CDROM a good deal at 5 times the price.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 09-02-2000).]

#131449 - 09/06/00 07:30 AM Re: PSR style compilation CD volume one available
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Clif,
Glad you got the disk ok. Regarding your comments, I agree that there may be a few duplicates amongst the files and that perhaps organisation could be improved, but with over 4000 files it's a rather daunting task!
As for "volume 1", yes I agree that it would be better suited to 1st edition. There is a lot of space left on the disk which I plan to fill up over time.

Kind regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#131450 - 09/06/00 08:33 AM Re: PSR style compilation CD volume one available
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Simon

I agree organizing a large number of styles is a daunting task. I have started a few times, but am near concluding that I cannot do it. Of course, it would be time consuming, but that is not the problem. I bought a music dictionary so I could decipher style names and place styles culturally. For organizational purposes, styles should be renamed according to some convention. But then we want to remember the sources of the styles. Naming styles for use on arrangers that use DOS conventions is problematic. What name would I use for a Thai-flavored cha-cha? Then there are the "songish" styles. Would I leave the song titles as style names, or try to fit them in a more generic scheme? Also, there is a need to distinguish styles by the number of variations. Long before I could make significant progress, I would get a new synth!

Anyway, I am glad to have a problem like this. When I bought my PSR-8000 in the fall of 1998, there were very few styles available for it. Now I have enough to play with for awhile.

I would, however, like to see more cultures represented, Asian, Russian, Arabic, African. We need some conversions from the Roland 500OR and the Solton oriental version, as well as some home-made stuff.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online