SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#131434 - 09/29/07 02:16 PM Re: OMG - it just keeps getting BETTER !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The MP3 board in the PA800 is going to make my laptop obsolete

Dave, congrats on your new add-on board. Does it also support WMA, or better yet, uncompressed audio: WAV and/or AIF as well?

What bit rate do you use and recommend for encoding 'audio backing' tracks. Looking forward to hopefully hearing a PA800 demo from you utilizing them.

Scott

#131435 - 09/29/07 02:46 PM Re: OMG - it just keeps getting BETTER !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Dave, glad to hear you're enjoying the PA800. Donny that songbook feature sounds like a real winner. I use the MFC in the Yamaha from time to time, it can be a great tool, but the Songbook feature sounds like it's miles ahead of the MFC.

Steve it certainly is.... the CUSTOMIZABLE SB is an arranger KB players dream feature for live playing Retaining ALL Performance SETUP information & MP3/SMF/KAR/TXT, if Yamaha incorporated it in its present units there would be no need for registrations, hopefully they will in the next series ...Thank you KORG

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-29-2007).]

#131436 - 10/01/07 05:04 PM Re: OMG - it just keeps getting BETTER !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Does it support WMA, or WAV and/or AIF as well?
What bit rate do you use and recommend for encoding 'audio backing' tracks.

Scott,
You know, I never noticed if any WMAs were copied top disk. I also have no idea about uncompressed audio, but I'd guess that no one would want that kind of storage woes in a portable device. It's hard to tell the difference betweeb 128 and 256 or higher as it is when you play through a kb or typical sound system.

I'd never use higher than 128 for on the job tracks. I hope to record this beast soon .... maybe now that the Phillies are in the playoffs, my country club job will cancel me on game nights and I can work on this thing !

#131437 - 10/01/07 06:08 PM Re: OMG - it just keeps getting BETTER !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I'd never use higher than 128 for on the job tracks. I hope to record this beast soon ....

Ah. ok. Interesting, my ears easily distinguish between 128 and 192. I've found, even when utilized merely as a backing track, 128 has a stiff rhythm & lacks smooth dynamic expression compared to 192 & better if higher, so for me, bare minimal acceptable MP3 compression rate is 192kbps, with 320kbps preferable. Anyway Dave, I'm really looking forward to a chance to hear something from you recorded on your PA800 as I'm certain it's going to sound terrific under your musical direction.

Scott

#131438 - 10/01/07 07:05 PM Re: OMG - it just keeps getting BETTER !
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gotta go with Scott, here...

The first thing to go with low bitrate mp3's is the cymbals, and any sense of 'openness' when heard in stereo, IMO. Just TOO grainy and undynamic for me. My iTunes library is ripped at 192kbps, about the minimum I can stand, but I'm starting to wish I had gone for 256 now.

But one GOOD thing about using lower bitrate MP3's is... it makes what you play stand out front and center, it is SO much clearer than the backing!

If you CAN'T hear the difference between a high bitrate or the original and a 128 MP3, time to either get better speakers, or off to a hearing professional (none of us getting any younger!)

Just do a simple A/B sometime between CD and MP3, you'd be surprised. It's subtle, but for me, the MP3s induce ear fatigue a LOT faster than uncompressed...

#131439 - 10/02/07 12:56 AM Re: OMG - it just keeps getting BETTER !
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online