SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130998 - 11/09/05 02:45 PM 3K as Sound Engine problem
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
I'm trying to use my 3K as my sound engine. I have all the drivers installed in my laptop. I see the song running in my sequencing program, which is Cakewalk 3.0, but no sound. In the Define Instruments part of Cakewalk it lists a number of Yamaha keyboards but not the 3K probably the 3k is too new. Isn't Cakewalk supposed to see the PSR3000?
I tried using the General Midi name in Cakewalk and still no sound. Now I know this setup works but I don't have it configured right. I think I discussed this with Gary way back when but not in detail.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

Peter

#130999 - 11/09/05 02:53 PM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Peter,

Maybe you and Bebop are having the same USB MIDI driver problem. Look at his posts here:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum39/HTML/000036.html

A lot of people had these problems with the original Tyros. Now, it looks like the newer keyboard owners are also dealing with these issues.

I sure hope somebody comes through and posts the solutions for you guys.

Tom G.

#131000 - 11/09/05 03:11 PM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Did your software have any "preset" instrument definitions that came with the software? I have Cakewalk Express, and under the instrument definitions Yamaha XG is listed. If you want your 3000 to talk with the software and use (NON XG) sounds such as the preset voices, then you'll need specific instrument definitions for the PSR-3000. Unless I'm missing something here.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#131001 - 11/09/05 07:09 PM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Peter,

I no longer use Cakewalk, however, if my aging memory serves me correctly, go to the options tab, then click midi devices, then select the driver you are using and that should solve your problem.

Hope this helps,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#131002 - 11/09/05 10:32 PM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
sorry don't have a 3k or cakewalk, but when I want to use my usb clavinova with a sequencer, I have to set sequencers midi in & out to usb1 .
Have you tried that? You'd probably find under a heading like settings??

The other thing , I always turn my piano on first, then I switch on the computer. If I don't, the setup won't work. Not sure if it's a perculiarity to mine, or whether that's how it has to be done.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Musicman22:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#131003 - 11/10/05 01:08 AM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Get and load the latest USB driver from Yamaha, not that I actually had a problem with the original one.

To test the USB connection use "Musicsoft Downloader" and ensure that it can see the PSR and view the contents of User Memory and the storage card on the PSR. Note that the 3k screen usually says "Communicating with the PC" or such like.

Exit from Musicsoft. I sometimes experience strange effects on the 3k at this point so turn off the 3k and turn it on again.

Make sure your 3k midi setup is using the "All Parts" template.

Ensure that Cakewalk is configured to send midi to the correct output device (Yamaha USB nn - pick the lowest number there will be 2 devices).

Play something in cakewalk. It doesnt actually matter if you have the wrong instrument definition file you should still get something if communication is established.

Assuming this works use the XG instrument definition set. You may have to set channel 10 specifically to XG Drums in order to get the drum names down the left of the pianoroll screen (ratherthan a piano keyboard). If you haven't got XG then use GM.

I'll send you my PSR 3000 instrument definition file ... once I've rebuilt my usual PC which is has just bombed due to duff memory and is in the process of rebuild. There are definition files "out there"; I based mine on one of those but had to edit it heavily; the Yamaha Manual is inconsitent in presentation of patch numbers and this was reflected in the file I downloaded. I think there may still be some glitches in my version so now is a good excuse to sort that out!

#131004 - 11/11/05 01:29 PM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
Musicman22 Offline

Well guys I'm making progress thanks to all your help. The problem I'm having now is, I play the sequence on my laptop and in the 3K I go to (Function>Midi>AllParts>Edit>Receive) I see the midi channels flashing indicating the 3K is receiving the sequence from my laptop, but I don't hear anything.
I'm searching the manual and the PSRTutorial website and can't find info.
It's gotta be something simple I'm not doing.

Thanks,

Peter

[This message has been edited by Musicman22 (edited 11-11-2005).]

#131005 - 11/15/05 05:41 AM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
And the next thinks to check are...

does the midi file uses bank select, and is it set to "Normal" in Cakewalk (rather than Controller 32 for example). You have to check this on each Cakewalk track individually.

If desparation continues get rid of anything that might confuse the 3k, like SysEx commands...

So select all tracks in Cakewalk, use the event view, filter out notes, lyrics, text and controllers and delete all SysEx commands and patch change events.

Look at the SysEx pane and delete all SysEx banks.

The add a SysEx bank by reading in "XG-reset" which is provided with Cakewalk. Ensure that the "send SysEx" tickbox is ticked.

This should ensure that the £k will not receive any strange commands.

If you still get nothing then turn the 3k off and on again before playing the midifile. If this still doesnt work play half the midifile, then reset the 3k, and then play the rest of the midifile. It will sound bad because all voices will reset to defaul, but at least if something comes out of the speakers then the issue is probably with sysex, patch, or volume settings to be found at the start of the midi file.

Also my main PC is now on the way back so hopefully I'll get the definition file to you pretty soon.

Hope this helps....

#131006 - 11/15/05 09:18 AM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
Musicman22 Offline

MacAllcock

I tried most of what you suggested but I still think the problem is with the driver.
The driver shows up in Control Panel and also in Device Manager with no conflicts.
When I open Cakewalk the window "No Midi in Devices" opens and it says: You haven't selected any Midi In devices etc. Press Yes to continue anyway, Press no to select devices now."
If I press No, I get the Midi Devices window in Cakewalk. On the Output side it shows: YAMAHA USB OUT 0-1
YAMAHA USB OUT 0-2
and they are both highlighted.
On the Imput side there is nothing in regards to Yamaha.

If I press Yes, two things happen. First I get an error message on the PSR3000 saying "unexpected error! Turn off power and on again.
rms_task.c/165
o/17117515-444
Second, Cakewalk will allow me to load my songs and I put in all the instrument definitions and match up all the ports etc. and I can play the song and it doesn't sound to bad but when I press save in Cakewalk I get an error message saying "Could not find or open file". So nothing is save and I'm right back where I started. So that's why I'm sure it's a driver issue.
I put a call into Yamaha and they gave me a reference number so I have to wait for them to call me back.

Peter

[This message has been edited by Musicman22 (edited 11-15-2005).]

#131007 - 11/15/05 02:12 PM Re: 3K as Sound Engine problem
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
have you tried it with any other software??
You could always download a demo of OMB http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm
and see if your usb input /outputs are corrector
Powertracks Pro http://www.pgmusic.com/ptdemo.htm

Also are you sure you followed the directions on loading the driver explicitly.
I did it about 3 times till I finally got it right for my clavinova.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Musicman22:
[

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-15-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online