SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130870 - 05/03/02 06:45 AM Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Am I the only one who things that Rolands (VA series) styles have mostly too long Intros and Endings? They are so long and so characteristic that they render themselves useless. I can't use an ending with 5 chord changes, 2 solo instruments and 2 phrases for a song. Specially for live performance I need something quick and I don't have.
Or there is some trick I don't know yet? I mean some trick apart from resequencing the intros and endings of the tracks, which is pain in the ***...

#130871 - 05/03/02 06:55 AM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
Dnj Offline

forget the intro/endings and play them live

#130872 - 05/03/02 08:46 AM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Try this too - start the style and hit the fill in immediatly. Intros need to be used sparingly in live work. The ARE too much of a "trademark" for the manufacturer. Pretty soon, you won't know what song you intended to play if all you hear is the same, tired intro.

#130873 - 05/03/02 09:06 AM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
diosif Offline

You are right about the Intros and I don't use them often. The "fill in" intro is the best solution. But what about the ending? This is indeed a problem since the "Start/Stop" button stops the arranger abruptly and it sounds like someone pressed the Stop button of a CD before the song ended. I try to end with a fill in and stop in the first beat of the next measure but again after the stop button there is only silence which is at least not professional... In addition there is not a "fade out" function. I need help here since I never used an arranger before and I was used to finish as I want on my piano. I feel much less confident now that I will be playing with the arranger cause I feel I don't have the complete control of everything. And mostly of the tempo and ending.

#130874 - 05/03/02 09:18 AM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I find that some of the intros, particularly on the PA80 styles make good " break " points in the middle of a song, especially when we're just doing a "jam" kinda thing. I rarely use them to intro a song. That is the one good point of some of the Yamaha styles. The most basic intros in a lot of their styles often have just a drum roll with little or nothing else. The "simple" endings often work ok as well.

AJ

#130875 - 05/03/02 09:57 AM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yamaha is by far the leader in useable fills, intros and endings. I use the simple endings 90% of the time (OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY SELECT IT EACH TIME ON THE 2000).
I rarely use intros, preferring to play them myself to suit the song. I do use the count-in intros a lot for breaks during the song, again having to manually select them from the screen each time you change styles (I didn't shout that time, because Yamaha isn't listening anyway).

#130876 - 05/03/02 12:54 PM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Diosif,
maybe you could use a volume pedal and gradually decrease the overall volume while you play (kind of "fade-out-do-it-yourself")
Better than nothing...

#130877 - 05/03/02 01:36 PM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm going to say it again. "Nothings worse than hearing a great live arranger keyboard performance and then having it completely RUINED by a 'canned sounding' ending/intro."

One of the things I like to do for an intro is to vamp on a chord progression (2 to 4 chords) and then improvise an intro live. For endings, I typically delete the melodic parts of an 'ending style' and improvise the melodic part live as well. By doing this, the entire song sounds integrated because YOU are playing thru the 'entire' tune. - Scott

#130878 - 05/03/02 07:11 PM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
diosif--that is why I did not buy a va7 when George Kaye posted those great prices. I love Roland sounds but for ME the whole board was useless. I bought a used korg is40 and it is great on intros,endings ,fills-----much better than a pa80 in fact. But it does not touch the Roland(or pa80) for sound quality. Yamaha has this issue down pat but for ME the styles drive me crazy! No perfect board out there but one will suit YOU better than the others. Good luck.
Bill E

#130879 - 05/05/02 04:37 AM Re: Roland Styles: Too long Intros & Endings
diosif Offline

So, as I see from the discussion, there is no way to use simple endings in VAs and I have to live with that. Am I correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online