SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#130856 - 10/18/02 03:25 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Don,
It is real inconvienient to be without one's board for a day much less a couple of weeks, not to mention the hassle of it.

However anyone that is making a living with their keyboard and does not have a backup board, IMO has their head in their.....uh you know.

ANY product conceived and built by man has the possibility of breakdown. If music is one's business, then they must as responsible business people prepeare for this possibility, with a backup board. How about you drop the board on the way into the gig and what you're looking at is about 200 pieces of plastic on the ground, or you stop for the latte on the way to the gig and someone else decides your keyboard would look real nice in their frontroom? The show must go on.

As far as web sites that still advertise the flash upgradeability of the 2k. We can't hold Yamaha responsible for every internet site and what they put on it.

I will be the first and loudest to jump down Yamaha's throat if they get stupid about this board and the almost 3k I'm spending on it and it goes bad. However I think one has to be reasonable and fair in judging them especially at this point with very few of these boards out there.

We are speculating about things that have not even occured yet.

Worst case scenario as I see it...the Tyros is bug laden cannot be upgrade by me, Yamaha does not come up with the fix in a resonable time......I can always trade it in on some other problem ridden board and deal with one of the other companies that is not near as responsive as Yamaha has been to me.

With the 2+ hours that Scott and I spent on the phone with Steve at Yamaha yesterday.....ok, look around your studio how many other manufactuers have called you on the phone and spent any time on the phone with you? Not many if any I bet.

The final thing is, one does have to take some responsibility for being their own advocate when they have a product that is a problem. If we have something that is a problem and do not take advantage of the warranty or put the effort into getting with the company and jumping down their throats to get it fixed and then making the effort to ship it etc. then the poor service falls on us because we have not taken advantage through laziness.

I'd like to hear from anyone here that has had a Yamaha product that has had a problem and THEY HAVE CALLED YAMAHA DIRECT AND COMPLAINED AND YAMAHA DID NOT FIX IT. Going through the dealer etc, doesn't count, because if we go by my experience with dealers, for the most part they are a bunch of busy people with alot on their plates and your broken board is just one of their many problems in a day.

So if you have called Yamaha direct and they said take a hike....let me hear it.

I want to reiterate, I do not think Yamaha is perfect in any way. They are big boys and girls and can defend themselves. The point I am making though is there has been quite a bit of what if's here that have been said and some have tried and convicted Yamaha before the crime has even been committed.

While we have all had different experiences with all the musical toy companies I can only say that Yamaha has been my best experience by far with any of them and have gone way over the top with taking care of what I needed whether it was info or fixes.
jam on,
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-18-2002).]

#130857 - 10/18/02 03:29 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Ron,
Thanks and glad to know you are hanging out should we run into grief.
jam on,
Terry

#130858 - 10/18/02 07:56 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Ron Kremer Offline

Loc: Europe
As far as I can see is there no bug in the system, which accours a complete system crash.
If it would be neccessary to do an update, you can choose, on which days you won't use the keyboard and bring it to your dealer.
no one would give the keyboard away for 1 or 2 days just for fixing a bitmap in the display because it shows a 6-string instead of a 12-string guitar. let's talk about REAL problems. do you agree?

#130859 - 10/18/02 09:01 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well of course I have a backup--a Yamaha PSR8000. Sometimes it is necessary for me to use it because the Vocal Harmony presets work correctly, but it is always there in case the 2000 goes down. Also, I have several sets of music on my digital recorder that, in an emergency, I could use without either keyboard.
As far as talking to Yamaha about a problem, I've never had any beef with that. When I received the 2000 and tried to use the Karaoke Girl (I'm sure we are tired of hearing about this!), it would not work properly because it did not eliminate the lead vocal.
I phoned Yamaha and was offered sincere help. We talked by phone many times. Despite the fact that these presets worked properly in the 8000 and 9000, Yamaha insisted that there was nothing wrong with the 2000 and that they were designed to work that way. BUT, they sent an extensive work-around to make the Speedy Mouse work right.
In other words, even though there was nothing wrong with it, they tried to help me fix it. They never did that for the Karaoke Girl setting, and that is the one that is essential in some of my shows.
I am still not convinced that the problem could have been easily corrected with a software update, but of course that is not an option. Yamaha did tell me that the upgrades that were available did not address this problem. (Oh, I forgot it's not a problem, and it may not be to anyone else).
The problems they did address were not significant enough for me to send the keyboard to California and wait. My local dealer discussed the upgrade with Yamaha, and decided it was something beyond what they wanted to attempt.
Frankly, I never expected to keep the 2000 long after that, but I found it a quite good keyboard that has some excellent features and it well suited for what I was doing.
Despite this, the whole incident has left me more skeptical than before.
The point I was trying to make is that all this discussion is premature. The keyboard is not yet available here. As with previous models, they start hyping it a full year before it is ready. They don't even know the extent of the features when they start the talk. Their strategy obviously is working because it seems half the world is waiting with their checkbooks ready.
I think it is wonderful that some of the Yamaha people are monitoring the forum and even trying to help. This forum would be an invaluable source of feedback to them if they will let it.
I hope the Tyros is a truly wonderful keyboard. If it is I may get one, if it is available in time for me to audition it before the first of the year. Otherwise I will buy Ketron.
Then I can gripe about them again!
Don

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online