SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130846 - 10/17/02 04:01 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Lou,
Something to keep in mind "improvements" such as new styles mega voices and the like are kept a different place than the o/s and as such will be an easy d/l, put to floppy or USB and load right in.

I beleieve this will be a very cool board and those of us prone to the Yammy sounds and interface are going to love it and the rest of the peasants......can eat cake.
jam on,
Terry

#130847 - 10/17/02 04:14 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Terry I hear that!....

I just went to the Yammy site and again looked at the tyros features. a good way down the list I see this:
Flash ROM Operating System
The TYROS operating system (built-in software that gives the keyboard its functions) is stored completely in flash memory, which means that updating the keyboard with the latest OS version is as easy as downloading it from Yamaha's Portable Keyboard Website

Doesn't this answer our os questions?
Lou

#130848 - 10/17/02 05:08 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Lou,
Yes it does....however it goes back to the fact that it is a 40 mg d/l and if there is a glitch when transferring to the Tyros via USB (computer crash power out). It will take away Tyros's ability to know how to upgrade itself, so it would then have to go back to the factory in the US, to be reprogrammed.
Howver it is doable and that answers my concerns as to whether or not it is upgradable.
Terry

#130849 - 10/17/02 05:09 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Y:
Doesn't this answer our os questions?
Lou

Yep !
Now the question is WHEN will the Tyros actually begin appearing in US Stores so we can see, play, and hear it in person?

#130850 - 10/17/02 05:12 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Lou, Yes it does....however it goes back to the fact that it is a 40 mg d/l and if there is a glitch when transferring to the Tyros via USB (computer crash power out). It will take away Tyros's ability to know how to upgrade itself, so it would then have to go back to the factory in the US, to be reprogrammed.Terry

Hi Terrry: Those are my concerns as well, but I'm feeling more confident that Yamaha will find a way to deal with this, especially after speaking with Steve Deming (Yamaha) today. Keeping my fingers crossed. - Scott

#130851 - 10/17/02 06:17 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I'm not really all that concerned. I would be much more concerned if it glitched ate the Tyros o/s and it couldn't be fixed.

I'm really not expecting much in the way of serious bugs and I do not think they will be on the surface features, if anything, I think they will be deeper bugs, so those that really dig deep into the boards may find them....that's the advantage of not being a tweeker most of that stuff never effects me. Hopefully it will be the case with the Tyros too.

Have faith, I do this is going to be ok.
jam on,
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-17-2002).]

#130852 - 10/17/02 07:07 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Hey guys
I'm certain that Yamaha is not releasing the Tyros with the thought in mind:
Yea lets sell them and then have everyone send them back to be fixed!
I for one have a little more faith in there position...don't you?
Lou

#130853 - 10/17/02 08:41 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm not certain of that at all. That's exactly what they did with the 2K, and of course most people couldn't, or didn't want to, part with their keyboards for a couple of weeks. Also, it said almost EXACTLY the same thing on the website about the OS. It was not true, as we know.
According to Scott, even Steve from Yamaha isn't certain how the upgrades will be handled yet. He is certainly more believeable that their web site.
There are STILL ads at internet music stores that claim the 2000 has Flash Rom upgrade capability.
Bottom Line is: To me it is ESSENTIAL to try this keyboard (or any of them really) personally before I buy. And I will most certainly buy something before the end of the year for tax purposes. I don't believe I will be able to see the Tyros before 2003. Hope I'm wrong. My dealer has one on order.
DonM
Close enough to Missouri to say "show me".

#130854 - 10/17/02 08:46 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

#130855 - 10/18/02 02:35 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Ron Kremer Offline

Loc: Europe
I'm not sure where you think there might be a problem.

TYROS is now shipped with OS 1.00

As a Yamaha technician I have some experience in updating the PSR/CVP/TYROS and handling customer requests.

If you want to know anything, don't hesitate to ask. If you think you found a kind of bug, I think it would be great to make a new thread 'bugs & questions'

I will try to be here as often as possible and try to find a solution for your problems.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online