SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130836 - 10/16/02 07:19 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Scotty, just pulling your leg. With Ruthie and her girlfriends hanging around here the last few days I can't get a word in edgewise. Gotta let some words out or I'll explode. I know, yall (southern talk) will all say not a bad idea.

Grandpa Doug

#130837 - 10/16/02 07:44 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
Of course there are no two ways about it. Your win / win scenario is absolutely how it should be.

Quite honestly if this is true, it concerns me and Yamaha should rethink this.
Terry

#130838 - 10/16/02 07:57 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hey Scotty and you west coast guys. Maybe next time I get out to the coast to see my middle daughter and the grandkids we can get together and have a keyboard duel just like I used to have them good old horn duels. Don't forget, my heart isn't as good as it used to be and I might have to sit down if it lasts too long. The pins aint what they used to be either. Nice to have a built in excuse if I can't keep up with you young squirts. Won't bring my horn cause I start sucking air after a bit. Should have stopped smoking a tad bit sooner than I did. If I do bring the tenor I got a nice trick to show you guys. I used it when the crowd needed to be livened up a bit. I would chew some bubble gum, press it up between my false teeth and the mouthpeice. When I took the horn out of my mouth my uppers would stick to the mouthpeice. I would walk back and forth on the stage holding my horn high taking bows for my solo. The crowd would go nuts. I would then act as if they really liked my ad-libs, stick the horn and everything back into my mouth as nothing ever happened and give them an encore. The rest of the evening was a peice of cake. The way I look at it is you have to make the best of what ya got.

Grandpa Doug

#130839 - 10/17/02 12:33 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Ron Kremer Offline

Loc: Europe
First of all - TYROS OS is Flash ROM Based.

It is of course planned to do some kind of bugfix if neccessary. You have to use a PC with USB connection and a program for the update procedure. This program is a small application and puts the huge amount of data into the TYROS. This is not difficult but takes app. 30 minutes. IF something happens like a power failure or disconnection of the data cable you can't revive the instrument easyly.
This is why Yamaha doesn't want to distribute the data to everyone.
Of course you can order the data if it's available and do the update procedure. But you have to be sure to have the technical talent. Otherwise you can contact your local dealer or service station.

#130840 - 10/17/02 02:55 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Ron,
Where does your info come from and are you sure that they will make the data available to the general public? I really can't believe that Yamaha would do something this complex considering the 2000 mistake of the o/s.
Terry

#130841 - 10/17/02 08:16 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Kremer:
You have to use a PC with USB connection and a program for the update procedure. This program is a small application and puts the huge amount of data into the TYROS. This is not difficult but takes app. 30 minutes. IF something happens like a power failure or disconnection of the data cable you can't revive the instrument easyly.This is why Yamaha doesn't want to distribute the data to everyone. Of course you can order the data if it's available and do the update procedure.

Ron, I HOPE you're REALLY right here! Exactly WHERE did you get your info from?

How is Yamaha going to distribute the OS update & installation software? On CD? I assume that the OS bug fix Updates will be provided 'free of charge' to registered owners?

After Yamaha's recent fiascal re their blatant turnaround re their 'falsely advertised' Flash-able OS on the PSR2000, I'm understandably suspicious about how Yamaha's ACTUALLY going to handle the situation on the Tyros.

Ron, thanks in advance for providing us more info on your source. - Scott

#130842 - 10/17/02 11:00 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Info I got from one of the techies at musicians friend is that this will be upgradeable via USB from Yamaha's web site. So now I am throughly confused. I wonder who and what is correct.
Terry

#130843 - 10/17/02 11:43 AM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I just got an email from the product manager at Yamaha PK here in the US. I had emailed him last night and asked about the size and if a consumer could do the update without having to bring it in to a dealer. Here is what he had to say:
"I'll check on the size with Japan. The OS can be updated through the USB (I've already done this). However, size is an issue for dial-up connecting customers."
George Kaye
Kaye's music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#130844 - 10/17/02 12:47 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Ok....I spent more than an hour with Yamaha on the phone this A.M with a very nice gentleman ....Steve. Hope he does not mind me mentioning his name, but credit where it is due. Very helpful, courteous and straight up, no B.S.

After this lengthy discussion, here is what I am convinced of regarding this entire o/s issue.

1. This is not a brand new bug laden operating system. It has been in use for some time as we know most resembling the 2k 9k and Clavinova.

2. They are taking great strides to make sure that the Tyros is as operationally stable as possible, before it is shipped.

3. It could be upgradable via the internet and is a 40mg o/s the danger coming in, when transferring to the Tyros via USB, if either crashes, then the board will have to go to Yamaha to be reprogrammed.

4. In any event here is what I am totally convinced of and has been my track record with Yamaha. If it is a problem , THEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT.

Therin lies the bottom line and as far as I am concerned, the very most we can expect of any of these companies.

As for me, mine is still on order and I can't wait to get it.
jam on,
Terry

#130845 - 10/17/02 03:30 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Terry, thanks for the fill-ins on the os....I was getting a little concerned about not ever having a way to update bug fixes and possible improvements. This area of interest may have swayed me I must admit.
Lou

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online