SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130826 - 10/16/02 01:54 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
ulrich Offline

Loc: Germany
Maybe the 'panic' is a little bit to early, nobody has really got a Tyros yet, nobody has discovered bugs.

But I agree, that this issue should somehow stay on top of all Tyros issues which will come in the future - and they will come ;-)

Ulrich

#130827 - 10/16/02 02:09 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
......Since the Tyros already supports USB PC/keyboard connectivity, - Scott

Does the Tyros support a PC keyboard via USB? I miss the fact that they dropped a ps/2 keyboard connector, it doesnt seem there is any way to enter filenames and style names except using those fiddly panel controls!

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#130828 - 10/16/02 02:34 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Can you imagine how much time it would take for stiffs like me to down load 40MB? Most of us peasants don’t have one of those super fast hookups on our computers. Forty MB’s!?!? and ?! Holy smokes!!!!! Man, they cut my throat after only a few MB’s. Sever my connection without even batting an eye!! Forty of them MB’s? My stars, don’t want to even think about it. About a year ago I tried downloading an 18MB’er. Started the download, looked at the time remaining, decided to go to bed and by morning it would be done. I must have been dreaming before I went to bed. These provider people have no mercy, cut my throat sometime during the night! They must be female. Can’t get along with em and can’t get along without em!

Scott get real. Yamaha provide you a CD and let you do it yourself? No after sale profit in that! After all, those repair guys gotta eat too. We can’t always think of ourselves only. Doesn’t the Yamme 9 have a USB and what can you do with that? Anyway just don’t get too disappointed. Patience is a virtue and we all need more of that. Just sit back and wait for the Tyros II. Good discipline!

Think I’ll go over to my board and practice a couple of new offerings for my next gig. Some of that new organ stuff ought to get a rise out of em. Once I get it phrased right it ought to knock their socks off and they wont know what hit em. When it aggravates Ruthie I know I’m on to something.

Happy playing,

Grandpa Doug

#130829 - 10/16/02 02:48 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Octave8 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
Can you imagine how much time it would take for "stiffs" like me to down load 40MB?

A "DEAD" link no doubt

#130830 - 10/16/02 02:56 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Queen Offline

Loc: Here
It is HIGHLY LIKELY that the Tyros' USB speed will be the same as the Yamaha Motif, meaning that it is the same speed as MIDI itself. Realword, this is about half or lower the speed of a floppy disc.

So, transferring 40MB via the Tyros' USB is a big NO.

Q.

#130831 - 10/16/02 02:59 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Shouldn't have to hound anybody for something. And I wouldn't count on their responding anyway. They still haven't fixed the Vocal Harmony on the 2000, and I've been hounding them for a year.
Ketron responds quickly to inquiries and honestly tries to make people happy. What a concept!
DonM

#130832 - 10/16/02 03:00 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
trtjazz Offline

Doug,
"Scott get real. Yamaha provide you a CD and let you do it yourself? No after sale profit in that!"

In fairness to Yamaha, I will tell you that on my AW4416 they sent me 2/3 upgrades via a cd in the mail without even asking them before they made them available on their site. Secondly when I owned a Motif and was posting at Motifator.com.....they must have given away at least 1000 boxed copies of XG Works free, just for the asking.

Now I do not at all think Yamaha walks on water, but when they do good, it should be heard as well as when they do bad.
Terry

#130833 - 10/16/02 03:07 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Queen Offline

Loc: Here
Terry, agreed, Yam's support is excellent.

Q

#130834 - 10/16/02 05:12 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Queen, agreed, Yam's support is how you experience it. Their advertizing promises could use a little help.

Grandpa Doug

#130835 - 10/16/02 06:24 PM Re: Tyros: OS not Flash ROM Upgradeable ? !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
Scott get real. Yamaha provide you a CD and let you do it yourself? No after sale profit in that! After all, those repair guys gotta eat too. We can’t always think of ourselves only. Grandpa Doug

Grandpa: You say: 'We can't always think of ourselves only'. Come on, you gotta be 'pulling my leg'! I wasn't sure if you were just joking when you said that. Just in case you you were being serious, I thought I'd better respond. When I spend my hard earned $ on a new keyboard that has acknowledged software bugs, I only expect it the responsibility of the manufacter (and not ME) to cover the cost of fixing those bugs. Yamaha (with the 9000pro & PSR9000), Ketron, and even Technics, have all provided 'user upgradeable' flash ROM OS updates for quite some time. Supplying us with the software to optionally upgrade our KB OS ourselves is both financially cheaper for them (no installation labor costs for them) and more convenient for us (no downtime with KB in the shop). Sounds like a WIN WIN situation to me. What do other people think?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online