SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#130526 - 04/11/07 10:39 AM Re: BBS ground rules for manufacturers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tommy, I feel that as long as you have NO commercial ties to a dealer or manufacturer, you should continue exactly as you have done. But 'shills' need to be identified. And labeled (but not silenced).....

I enjoy much of what is posted here, whether from a dealer or rep, or just a plain consumer. I don't feel that they in any way should be hindered from posting. Just have the common decency to identify yourselves as in the pay of the product you are posting about.

Be proud, you probably won't get any LESS respect. In fact, it might give a little MORE weight to your post, you certainly know enough about it to get hired by your company! There are already several people on this site that acknowledge their commercial status. George Kaye is still one of the more respected posters here, despite (or maybe even because!) he is a dealer... But his reputation comes because of the fairness in his postings. When some arranger has a flaw, or less than stellar sound or features, George doesn't try to hide it.

But I have my doubts about some of the posters here that can't admit that an arranger they use is anything less than perfect (well. until the NEXT model from their manufacturer comes out!).....

If you can't find something to improve, something you wish didn't work the way it does, something that is just plain dumb, in the arranger you have now, you either are in the pay of the company, or you are just not trying hard enough!

#130527 - 04/11/07 11:52 AM Re: BBS ground rules for manufacturers
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Thank you Diki for including my name as someone who does identify himself as a dealer with every post I submit, but I would also like to say that if we, as a forum that's been going strong for so many years, start to limit who can and cannot post on this general arranger forum, we will probably find this site to become boring. If there are too many second and third forums to post information in, many I'm afraid would loose interest. I think it's best to just keep things the way they are.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#130528 - 04/11/07 12:32 PM Re: BBS ground rules for manufacturers
ocomain Offline

I wholeheartedly agree with George Kaye...keep things as they are. Most of us here are grown-ups and should be able to adequately discern the veracity and motives of those who post, including the dealers, reps and "brand fanatics". Any attempt to force these individuals to "wear" any kind of label while participating in this forum would be seriously misguided and a step in the wrong direction. Keep it real, people!

Michael

#130529 - 04/11/07 12:35 PM Re: BBS ground rules for manufacturers
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyF:
Robert,

I don't know who you are refering to in this sentence:

"I would like to extend this to people who may not have a professional affiliation but have a very strong allegiance to a particular manufacturer’s product."

Tommy: I prefer to keep the conversation civil so I will not name names. I am referring to posts were people are talking about the plus/minus of a product from Brand A and some zealot of Brand B feels that they have to chime in that their favorite can do this that and the other thing.

To all: I appreciate and support the free flow of ideas that several of you have listed your endorsement of. The goal of my suggestion was not to censor anyone. It was to make a suggestion to help keep posts more on topic. If the conversation is about brand X, let the conversation be about brand X. If the conversation is about a general issue about any keyboard then it's everybody into the pool. As I stated in my way too long intro, the manufacturers have an important role to play in a successful BBS forum. As do the zealots. Just give it a break sometimes. You can't bully people to come to your side be constantly droning on your message.

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 04-11-2007).]

#130530 - 04/11/07 01:05 PM Re: BBS ground rules for manufacturers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roland Rules.....

#130531 - 04/11/07 01:08 PM Re: BBS ground rules for manufacturers
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Fran, keep the pistols in the holster cowboy you'z fixin to pick a fight using dat there Roland Ammo
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#130532 - 04/11/07 01:11 PM Re: BBS ground rules for manufacturers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So this isn't really a thread about commercial posters, but a plea for less thread hijacking? Best of luck, mate...

I don't feel that ANYTHING needs changing, other than asking the reps, dealers and manufacturers to identify themselves. No need to censor them, let everything else remain the way it is.

And there is NO WAY I would like to see less 'fan-boy' postings. If you DON'T feel enthusiastic about your choice of arranger, well, you probably bought the wrong one! An awful lot of 'hijacks' come about because one poster is talking about the strength or weakness of one arranger, and somebody chimes in to point out that strength or weakness is different for their arranger. Useful information, mostly...

This isn't a scientific, technical forum. Amateurs, pros and enthusiast gather here to chat about our toys of choice. Just like a REAL conversation, every now and then a non sequitur pops up. And just like a 'real' conversation, if one person constantly harps on about the same thing, over and over, well, he eventually just gets ignored.

Kind of like my thread about whether anyone 'doubled' here.... It went along quite swimmingly until I posted about how easy a Chord Sequencer makes playing a secondary instrument alongside your arranger. Then everybody went away! I guess they have heard me bemoan the loss of this arranger feature enough!

(Mind you, not one of them posted about how they DID manage to play the double and the arranger at the same time. Guess they just didn't care about it enough.....)

But, all that aside, the informality of this forum is fun (if a little cantankerous at times!), and I wouldn't want to see anyone discouraged from posting what they feel, when they feel (but with civility, PLEASE!). Just let the dealers and reps and demonstrators and manufacturers (the people who have something to gain from what they tell you) have the honesty to identify themselves, preferably with a 'tag' to their name......

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online