SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#130388 - 02/14/02 11:18 AM Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
Dnj Offline

Why do you think Roland didn't incorporate a good Vocalizer into its VA series units?

#130389 - 02/14/02 11:26 AM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
Clif Anderson Offline

Vocal Harmonizers have to be licensed from IVL technologies or TC-Helicon (to take advantage of their patented formant-correct pitch shifting). I bet Yamaha cut a good deal, as it was the first to incorporate vocal harmony into a keyboard. Roland might not be able to get the same deal. I think Roland is hoping that Variphrase will make up for the lack of vocal harmony--but of course, Variphrase is not a real-time effects processor.

BTW--The Roland E-600 had vocal harmony. But it is missing from their current line of arrangers. If the VA-76 had it, I might get one. I think it would make a lot of sense to have vocal harmony and Variphrase in the same keyboard.

ROLAND: if you are listening, I have two requests. 1) Add vocal harmony to your arrangers; and 2) put your manuals online.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 02-14-2002).]

#130390 - 02/14/02 11:41 AM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
...yes, and don't forget a big hard disk and a real sampler (Variphrase doesn't count).

#130391 - 02/14/02 12:28 PM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
Dnj Offline

With all the hightec features Roland is incorporating in it's units it amazes me to see the've ommited the things most people Want and NEED (eg: Voc, HD) in a top of the line or "PRO" model arranger KB, Especially for a working musician. Some of these companies really need to get in touch and LISTEN to the Needs of their customers by talking to them, sending out questioneers, and just have people that USE these KB units have a BIG input on future designs. I hope They are READING THESE POSTS!!

#130392 - 02/14/02 12:31 PM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Roland had harmonizers before anyone. The E500 had it, as well as their home piano's. Yamaha came after.

#130393 - 02/14/02 01:29 PM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
Clif Anderson Offline

Well, UD is probably right. The PSR-8000 was announced at the 1998 NAMM and was the first with built-in harmony that I had heard about. I visited the Roland website for alternatives to the PSR-8000 and checked on the E500 and the G1000, but neither were described as having a vocal harmonizer. Only the E600 was described as havaing vocal harmony. I do recall there was vocal harmony on some of the pianos.

Also, I do not know whether the Roland's version was IVL-technologies. Roland has some technology of its own. Maybe it is not as good as IVL or maybe the Roland device infringed the IVL patents.

In any event, I wholeheartedly agree that Roland is missing the boat by not having vocal harmony in the VA series. It is hard to imagine that there are many arranger players who do not sing. Now maybe not all like vocal harmonizers, but it sure is a useful option.

One minor point. I like having at least three audio inputs on a keyboard--one for a mic and stereo line inputs to mix an external source (as on the PSR-8000, PSR-9000, and 9000Pro). I think the Korg PA80 has stereo line inputs, but you lose one if you add the vocal harmony option--right? If so, that's too bad.

#130394 - 02/14/02 01:47 PM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ooops ! The E500 had only a MIC input, I think - not a harmonizer, but the Farfisa G7 had one. I'm a little hazy about the dates now, sorry for the fast answer. I'm trying to do three things at once - no time to think !

#130395 - 02/14/02 06:23 PM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Ooops ! The E500 had only a MIC input, I think - not a harmonizer, but the Farfisa G7 had one. I'm a little hazy about the dates now, sorry for the fast answer. I'm trying to do three things at once - no time to think !

It(E-500) have a mic input and an Echo Adjuster.

#130396 - 02/14/02 06:51 PM Re: Vocalizer on Future ROLAND ARRANGERS...
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Hey Everybody,
The Roland KF90 has a vocal harmonizer built in and it works really well. The KF90 is a portable 88 hammer weighted arranger keyboard with built in speakers and the VA's touch screen. This is a current model and some of the KR home keyboards have the same vocal harmonizer. You can use it just like the Yamaha built in harmonizer. It has the ability to be used with Standard Midi File playback with vocal track and with style play modes. It also features the Robot mode found on the Roland VF1 effect processor.
So, Roland is using the technology others are using but they are not choosing to put this inside the VA products. I wish they would!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online