SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#130280 - 03/01/05 08:09 AM Re: Demo's on my website should be ok for everyone now. New tunes added. Please test.
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Scott,

Great songs, I really like them!
Although I think the files have been compressed too much (most of them are 128 kbits, and I even had one that was only compressed at 96 kbits).
96 and even 128 kbits is just too low, and that might explain the chorus effect Don was talking about.
I recommend compressing the files to at least 192 kbits, and to use the latest version of Lame (MP3 Codec/Encoder).
It will seriously improve the sound quality of your files.
If you want to keep the file size small I recommend using Ogg Vorbis, you can compress the files to 128 kbits and they still sound very good, but not every media player supports Ogg without plugins.

Greetz ,
Marcel

Edit/PS: I just saw that you use Xing for compression, Xing's compression is horrible, no wonder it sounds distorted .

[This message has been edited by Wazza (edited 03-01-2005).]

#130281 - 03/01/05 08:47 AM Re: Demo's on my website should be ok for everyone now. New tunes added. Please test.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As long as they work for everybody else, don't change it. But I listen to music--MP3s, WAVs, Midis all day long, and this is the only site I'm having a problem with.
DonM

#130282 - 03/01/05 09:10 AM Re: Demo's on my website should be ok for everyone now. New tunes added. Please test.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Well, first of all I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out on this new venture. I guess there's a first time for everything. haha

First thing I guess I need to do is get the left channel on my stereo system that I use with my computer working.

I thought I'd leave that issue alone til last, thinking that if it sounded good coming through just the right speaker that it was probably ok. So I'm going to dig around and see what has happened.

Jen just built me a new computer and somewhere along the line something must have just gotten disconnected.

I presume unlike my first attempts that the volume is ok now? I got some comments on the first tests that it could have been louder.

I used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab to do the recording at 16 bits figuring that if I didn't do any editing that it would sound just like what was really coming out of my keyboard.

I didn't do any editing, BTW, whatever compression etc I had set in the Tyros is what I got.

I don't know if I used the Magix program to create the mp3's or if it was Music Match 4, the free, near CD quality version.

I was originally going to use my Sound Forge 5.0, the expensive one, and record at 24/96 and then lower it back down to 16 bits. I understand at least some people can hear a subtle improvement in the tone doing it that way. But, so far we have not been able to hook up my Mia sound card to do it. So I thought the way I did it ought to be fine for know. What thoughts do you guys have on this?

As far as the 96 and 128 stuff, I am not sure how I arrived at that. I guess I just recorded at what ever rate came up or was available.

Everything on the site was recorded using my Tyros and the Magix program. The Off The Cuff Jam was recorded a couple of years ago using my Technics KN1000. I do not remember if I used Magix, Sound Forge or what.

Again, thanks for helping me on this one. I'll be glad when I finally get it all down. It's suprising to see just how much time it actually takes to learn and do all of this stuff. Cheez!!

Best
Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-01-2005).]

#130283 - 03/01/05 01:11 PM Re: Demo's on my website should be ok for everyone now. New tunes added. Please test.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi TonyW

I used to tell my students that sometimes the ending is the best part of a song. haha

Scott

#130284 - 03/01/05 09:43 PM Re: Demo's on my website should be ok for everyone now. New tunes added. Please test.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
O.K. It WAS my end causing the problems. The cable to my speaker system had been pulled slightly loose at the input, resulting in my hearing only half the stereo sound.
Music sounds great now. Sorry for the misinformation.
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online