SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129430 - 03/21/01 08:42 AM Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Clif Anderson Offline

Others can input, but I remember Uncle Dave mentioning something about a portable three-space rack solution that he liked. Uncle Dave, what was it and where can I learn more about it? Thanks in advance. Clif

#129431 - 03/21/01 09:23 AM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Clif,
I don't know which 3 space rack mount unit that Uncle Dave was referring to but...

SKB makes a great light weight portable yet strong/solid 3 space shallow rack which sells for under $100. Model # SKB19-3U:
http://etronicsnet.store.yahoo.com/skb193u.html

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-21-2001).]

#129432 - 03/21/01 10:21 AM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Clif, Uncle Dave uses his Toa mixer[D3],Digitech Vocalist, and a wireless mic[Shure]. They are in a 3 space bag that he attaches to his keyboard stand, right in front between his keyboard and himself[ I don't how he can see it without standing wayyy bback]..Fran

#129433 - 03/21/01 03:30 PM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
HEY ! Was that a fat joke, old man?
BTW - how are your "broken" ribs ? (hee hee)
Fran still plays basketball with a bunch of young studs everyweek, and he's in pain from a body slam he got last week. Poor guy. You should play with guys your own age..... IF you can find any!!!!!!
Back to the rack issue-
The SKB shallow rack is next to useless - it's too shallow for any of the stuff I would put in it. The whole purpose is to leave things connected, and with that one - there is not enough room in the back to leave the wires plugged in!
I have a single space mixer (Toa D3)on the bottom row - on top of that is a Digitech vocalist access (also single space)- the top space is two 1/2 rack units...a Vega wireless reciever, and a Rolls stereo graphic EQ. I have it in a soft rack bag with a shoulder strap that lets me hang it vertically from the front two teirs of a double braced "X" stand. This puts all the controls right at my fingertips, and just under the piano keys. I never have to turn my head to make adjustments. It's a beautiful thing. I run two stereo outs to a pair of powered Mackies, and a mono out to a powered monitor (when needed). My mic boon attaches to the KB stand on the back of a teir, and I keep a small shelf on the other back teir to hold a MD player and disks.
(my entire library fits in an index card file box from Staples - 88cents)

#129434 - 03/21/01 04:02 PM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Uncle Dave,

You make an excellent point about the SKB shallow rack unit. I don't own one but won't consider it now in light of it not being able to allow you to keep cables connected.

You never did reveal the brand/model # of the 3 space bag you are using. Please tell us. Also, would it be possible to post a picture of your space bag rig? Would also be interested in finding out more about your mic boom setup and how it attaches to your X stand. What brand/model of X stand and mic boom are you using? They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so if possible, it would be great to see a picture of this setup as well.
- Scott

#129435 - 03/21/01 06:52 PM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Uncle Dave Offline

The bag is 14" deep, but I don't remember the brand - Hybrid, I think. It's pretty standard as far as bags go. The lids zipper shut and the shoulder strap is attatched at each end of the front of the bag.
My "X" stand is an Ultimate Support IQ2000, but it's an older one. It's a double braced stand, but the tubes are narrower than the current model IQ2000. This allows the addition of the "Quick Lok" mic boom add-on. It just slides on the back end of the top teir and fastens with a turn of the wrist!
Sorry I have no pics to share - how do you do that again?????????

#129436 - 03/21/01 07:43 PM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Dnj Offline

A while back I had a setup problem and was considering a fast Set Up rack system. I got in touch with my Uncle Dave and he said " come on down we'll Design Something to suit the Situation" Drove out to his studio and UD went to work with his crative ability and put together a great proteck 3 space rack unit with my Sony mini disc Unit and Mixer, plus hooking up all wires premeasured so all I have to do is unzip both ends of the box and plug in. In about ten minutes I'm set up and ready to play. I also use a heavy duty quick loc X stand and mounted Tier Mic Boom. When it comes to convienence UD can hook ya up Big Time!!

Donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-21-2001).]

#129437 - 03/22/01 05:31 AM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks for all the help on this. I still am having problems visualizing UD's setup. Will this work for someone sitting at the keyboard. It sounds like the rack bag would be in the lap or worse. Does this arrangement provide "standing room only" or does it work with "sitters" as well?

Clif

#129438 - 03/22/01 06:46 AM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Clif, Sitting with Uncle Dave's set up won't work unless you are comfortable spreading your legs at a 90 degree position. There are alternatives, the bag can sit on the stand between the keyboard support arms or you can stand the bag on the floor and lean it against the keyboard stand. I have done both ...Fran

#129439 - 03/22/01 08:15 AM Re: Uncle Dave Question about Rack Gear
Uncle Dave Offline

Clif,
A good alternative is a stand that has enough room underneath the keyboard shelf for a second teir. You can put the rack under it with plenty of leg room. I have an older USS stand that I modified as such. The stand is very light weight, folds nicely, has a mic boom attached and a second teir under the top shelf for acc's. It was a table top stand, I think. I never knew the actual name, but it works well for a seated performer.
Send me an email direct and I'll try to send some pics back for you. I don't know how to post pics on the net.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online