SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#129275 - 07/24/02 08:55 PM Need Some Help..............Got a case of amnesia.....
kxtone Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI, USA
Hello,
It's been awhile since I have been on the forum. I saw the new XD9 and Vega on the Ketron site. They look very nice and I was wondering if anyone has played yet? What are the differences or how is it compare to the X1?

I am having a case of amnesia. I can't remember the external sync button on the X1 anymore. Can anyone please direct me..........I am using cakewalk and I need it so I can midi-sync in cakewalk.
thnak you

#129276 - 07/24/02 09:36 PM Re: Need Some Help..............Got a case of amnesia.....
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
kxtone,
go into the Midi function and I beleive go to utility and here you will find the sync on or off.
I have posted about the XD9 and Vega a few weeks ago and on the oriental forum.
Here are some of the major differences:
The X1 has a sampler, 16 track sequencer, 198 factory styles, 4 outputs, speaker on and off switch on rear, numeric style select mode only, pattern expansion up to 200 user patterns when installed, extra volume up and down buttons for chord, orchestra, left hand parts, several extra pounds of weight, and I'm probably missing a few other major differences.
The XD9 has no sampler, a single pass song sequencer (whatever you play will record), 172 factory styles, 2 outputs plus mic output, no internal speaker on and off switch (you probably have to put a 1/4" plug in the headphone jack to kill the internal speakers), 50 maximum user pattern memory even when using the pattern expansion, a few less volume buttons (although easier to manage now with accomp. volume balance control, and a few less pounds of weight because of the lack of the weighted keys and the speaker cabinet being a little lighter around the speakers. I just thought of one more feature on the X1.....Aftertouch vs no aftertouch on the XD9.
Now, here are the big differences........
The XD9 is less expensive. The XD9 has better sounds.......The XD9 has the ability to choose sounds by catagory or by numeric buttons. The XD9 has some new easier to use arranger functions which allow you to be more selective in customizing the keyboard for your style of play. The XD9 has a new "bassist" function which is very cool. The XD9 has a new drum remix function which allows you to use any style drum track with a midi file you play back. The XD9 lets you choose a style to play while a song is playing and choose a song to play while you are playing a style. Interactive accompanament allows you to have style tracks turn off when you play solo on the right hand and in addition , you can choose to just have brass voices muted when you play solo on the right hand. The XD9 has 6 pages of one touch settings which can be customized and one of the six pages can be assigned to each style. Patterns can be displayed in group form so that when you load in custom patterns (styles) you can select them in the same way you select preset styles. In the X1, you could never select and play patterns while looking at them in a list. You have to remember which number you stored them in. A new jump feature which allows you to only select fill to variation changes where the X1 does this but also turns your ending buttons into intro buttons only. And you can select changing it to be like the X1 mode if you like. There are more feature differences as well but I could never remember them all while sitting here at home.
So, as you can tell, I'm very excited about the XD9 and Vega products (Vega being the middle eastern version of the XD9 but still having all the XD9 features and styles as well). I also think the sounds are way improved on the XD9 and the Styles have been revoiced and as great as the X1 styles, the XD9, in my opinion are even better.
So, why would I choose an X1. If sequencing is important, of course having a 16 track sequencer is great (many people use their PC's). If I play live and really nead seperate outputs to assign different parts to channels on a PA I would want the X1. If sampling was important to create my own sounds or loops, I would want the X1. If I liked having more buttons on a keyboard rather than having to see more functions on the screen by pages, I would want the X1. If I wanted to be able to load user voices from disks such as the super sound set, I would need the X1 because on the XD9 you must load user sounds onto a card which would be installed inside the XD9. Did I miss anything? I'm sure, but this is at least a start at understanding the differences.
Which one would I want? I think you see my preference.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California.
(Retired 2021)

#129277 - 07/24/02 09:59 PM Re: Need Some Help..............Got a case of amnesia.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
George, I assume you would still prefer SD1 to the new XD9 and/or Vega?
DonM

#129278 - 07/25/02 05:05 AM Re: Need Some Help..............Got a case of amnesia.....
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Don,
I am afraid that this XD9 is a scaled-down SD1 repackaged in a grey X1 case...

#129279 - 07/25/02 12:09 PM Re: Need Some Help..............Got a case of amnesia.....
kxtone Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI, USA
George, sorry for sounding so pathetic but when I do that...............I don't see anywhere that I can turn off the internal or external sync..............this is all I get on the the screen.....

Left side:
F1 (midi in1) = GM
F2 (in2/comp) = keyboard
F3 (midi out) = GM+keyboard
F4 (comp out) = GM+keyboard
F5 Escape

Right side:
F6 = Computer (got that set on PC)
F7 = Local on or off (setted Off)

Still when I try to record the pattern to cakewalk. I try using the midisync in cakewalk to sync but when I play the keyboard it is sending nothing at all into cakewalk. When I sat cake into internal sync then I am able to record it into cakewalk. That is why I am asking the question. It has been awhile and I just can't remember what I did last time. I hope that there is nothing wrong with the keyboard. I let my friend use it for awhile...........if you have anymore suggestion please feel free to let me know............thank you for your help.

[This message has been edited by kxtone (edited 07-25-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online