SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129149 - 01/31/07 05:32 PM PSR2000 button problems
Gabe Weiny Offline

I am considering getting a Tyros 2. I currently own a PSR2000 on which several buttons suddenly stopped working. Not one, but a whole bunch all at once. It's quite a weird combination:

Trasnpose down
Break
Ending
fade in/out
Sync Start
Sound Editor
One of the panel buttons
a couple style buttons

Thank g-d that nothing is really critical for playing.
If I need to do an ending or fade, for example, I quickly reprogram the footswitch while playing.
I am still using it for gigs, but I am obviously looking for a new machine.

i am seriously thinking of the Tyros 2. I would like to see what the PSR-S900 will be, but I am not willing to wait 6 months until it is available.

I have a couple tyros 2 questions...I think I'll put them in new posts....

#129150 - 01/31/07 05:35 PM Re: PSR2000 button problems
Dnj Offline

Hurry email "Mr Wizard" Gary Diamond (Travelin Easy)....he is a PSR Geru & will tell you what to do to fix it for sure!

#129151 - 01/31/07 05:44 PM Re: PSR2000 button problems
Gabe Weiny Offline

Thanks for the tip.
I will drop him a line.
I actually showed my unit to a friend who does amplifier/mixer repair....he claimed that it was probably an IC chip that went bad.

It can't be the buttons themselves as the defective ones are not grouped in any logical order or physical area.

I called Yamaha to order a replacement main board. They had it in stock but quoted an absurd $1400 or so. I kindly pointed out that the PSR2000 was available for less that that when it was current! Talk about extortion...

But if anybody thinks that they have any troubleshooting suggestions, I'm all ears.

#129152 - 01/31/07 10:56 PM Re: PSR2000 button problems
mr9000 Offline

Gabe:
First do a system reset: hold farthest right key down,turn power on.

Try a 'system check':for my psr9000 its: hold down C2#,F2,G2# and turn power on.Your 2000 may be different but try anyhow.

if that don't work,back up all your stuff to floppy,reinstall operating system(5disks).

#129153 - 02/01/07 06:26 AM Re: PSR2000 button problems
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I suspect the plug for that strip of buttons has come loose. The buttons are on a long strip that has a small connector that plugs into the mother board, and it could have shaken loose during transportation. Not a big deal to plug it back in, but you do have to remove the bottom of the keyboard to get at it. There are about 18 screws that must be removed, then the board will open front to back like a door. Open it carefully, then look for the wire that runs from the strip of buttons to the mother board and you will find the connector.

Hope this helps,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#129154 - 02/01/07 09:09 AM Re: PSR2000 button problems
Gabe Weiny Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I suspect the plug for that strip of buttons has come loose. The buttons are on a long strip that has a small connector that plugs into the mother board, and it could have shaken loose during transportation. Not a big deal to plug it back in, but you do have to remove the bottom of the keyboard to get at it. There are about 18 screws that must be removed, then the board will open front to back like a door. Open it carefully, then look for the wire that runs from the strip of buttons to the mother board and you will find the connector.

Hope this helps,

Gary

I actually had the keyboard taken apart by a friend who does electronics repair (mainly DJ mixers and power amps).
The ribbon connector was disconnected and reconnected, to no avail. I guess there is a small possibility that just the ribbon went bad, but I doubt it since the problem is NOT intermittent, did not happen gradually and is consistent.
A bad IC chip makes the most sense to me, and thanks to Yamaha, the main board can't be replaced for a reasonable amount. I would be willing to spend $300, but $1400 (I think that's what they said, it was for sure over $1000 in any case) is patently ridiculous.

mr9000, I tried resetting by holding the highest key, as well as a factory reset from the function menu - doesn't help. There is no way to reinstall operating system on PSR2000 as the firmware is NOT in flash rom (search the Synthzone forum for more on that).

Thanks all for your suggestions.

#129155 - 02/01/07 09:22 AM Re: PSR2000 button problems
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"There is no way to reinstall operating system on PSR2000 as the firmware is NOT in flash rom"

And I REALLY gave them grief over that at that time. Didn't seem to influence them though, or even hurt their feelings.
The bad thing was that it was ADVERTISED as having softwre OS.

Good luck!
DonM

#129156 - 02/01/07 11:46 AM Re: PSR2000 button problems
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gabe,

What part of the world do you live. I have a cracker-jack repair guy here in Maryland who can actually trouble shoot the boards and replace the individual parts. He just fixed one of my Digitech VR vocal processors that had three bad chips. Total cost was under $200 including parts and labor.

You can reach him at geof_eng@yahoo.com

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#129157 - 02/01/07 12:42 PM Re: PSR2000 button problems
Gabe Weiny Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Gabe,

What part of the world do you live. I have a cracker-jack repair guy here in Maryland who can actually trouble shoot the boards and replace the individual parts. He just fixed one of my Digitech VR vocal processors that had three bad chips. Total cost was under $200 including parts and labor.

You can reach him at geof_eng@yahoo.com

Good Luck,

Gary

I live in NY. That does sound rather reasonable. Yamaha offered to give a repair "estimate" for $50, plus shipping both ways to CA, plus the cost of repair (don't even want to think what that would be) No thank you.

Unfortunately, since I am still gigging with the board I can't afford to have it repaired, even though the price is right.

Perhaps when I get a new keyboard, i'll be able to have this one properly fixed and keep it as a backup.

Thanks for the contact info.

[This message has been edited by Gabe Weiny (edited 02-01-2007).]

#129158 - 02/11/07 10:36 PM Re: PSR2000 button problems
mr9000 Offline

any updates on what has become of this problem with your psr2000 Gabe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online