SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#129075 - 09/29/04 01:20 PM Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Recently, I purchased a PSR 3000, and believe that, from build quality, key feel and overall sounds, it falls far short of
several Ketron products.

I particularly miss the 13 note pedalboard available for use with Ketrons.

I'll be assigning the Yamaha to the den for practice and buying a new SD-1 to replace my 9 year old MS 60 which still functions perfectly, and has been used 5 nights a week, including 6 months a year outside on a patio.

I'm glad you Yamaha users are happy with your choice. Ketron is still my preference.

Play on...

Russ

#129076 - 09/29/04 01:45 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Russ, is this a fair comparison, shouldn't you compare the SD-1 with a Korg Pa1X or Yamaha Tyros, rather than the PSR3k?

------------------
Graham

#129077 - 09/29/04 01:51 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Recently, I purchased a PSR 3000, and believe that, from build quality, key feel and overall sounds, it falls far short of
several Ketron products.

I particularly miss the 13 note pedalboard available for use with Ketrons.

I'll be assigning the Yamaha to the den for practice and buying a new SD-1 to replace my 9 year old MS 60 which still functions perfectly, and has been used 5 nights a week, including 6 months a year outside on a patio.

I'm glad you Yamaha users are happy with your choice. Ketron is still my preference.

Play on...

Russ

Hey, Russ -

Are you thinking of selling it?

Angelo

#129078 - 09/29/04 01:57 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Not picking on anyone. This is just a personal observation for the little while I've been on the forum.

Except for Dave, he changes no matter what, the guys playing Yamahas for income seem to change or up-grade every time Yamaha comes out with something new. I mean it seems some on the forum have owned the 740, the 9000, 1100, the 2000, the 2100 the 3000 and so forth as they come out with newer models.

Not many here have owned their Yamahas as long as I've had my Korg, which is only 3 years I think, and definitely not as long as you've owned your keyboard Russ.

In my case I could reason their boards are wearing out faster than mine is because they play more than me. However Russ you seem to have a lot of time in your keyboard and it still works!

Yamahas for the most part seem to be cheaper than other brands in most cases, so it is less expensive to upgrade I suppose.

Each person has to decide for himself which way to go.

I have a 5-function foot pedal plus a separate damper foot pedal, if that's what you're talking about. How many pedals can one get for the Yamaha arrangers?

I'm a sax player and I have to admit a little more weight on the keys on all of the arranger keyboards seems

#129079 - 09/29/04 01:58 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Cap,

I just sold my X1 on Ebay for $1200. I find that I like most of the things about the Tyros better including the drums and styles. I do play in a band and I double as the bass player. I used a set of Roland PK-5 midi pedals plugged directly into my X1 and played it like a two manual organ with bass pedals. I can't do that with my Tyros.

Tom

Tom

#129080 - 09/29/04 02:56 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I don't think it has anything to do with any particular brand of keyboard being 'better' than any other. If anything it is more to do with the comfort zone of the musician.

I was always an ardent Technics fan and would not buy anything else. After the 5000 I finally tried something new and in quick succession went through Roland (em2000) and Korg (im40) and disliked them both. Went back to technics with the kn6000 and was happy again. I knew the board and what to expect from it so I was comfortable. Then I was lured to the Yamaha 9000pro and although it took a while I got as used to that as I was used to technics.

Lately as most of you know I bought the KN7000 and really could not get used to it so went back to Yamaha with the Tyros and felt comfortable again.

None of the above instruments are bad keyboards. All do the job for which they are intended very well. BUT it is the musician that makes any board sparkle and a musician can only do that if he feels 'in tune' with his instrument. The instrument should fit you not the other way about.

To paraphrase... brand names don't mean a thing if YOU ain't got that swing!

Best wishes to you and your keyboards (whatever they may be)
Tony

#129081 - 09/29/04 03:58 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, folks:

No, I'm not going to sell py PsrK300...I'm a gadget freak, and it's fun to fool with, just not something I want to use on the job.

I bought it because I needed a new toy, and it will be fine for that.

As far as a PSR 3K to SD-1 comparison, what I should have said is that I would prefer any Ketron over the PSR 3K.

You are right...it all comes down to personal preferences and what an individual player can do with a particular instrument.

I'm not really knocking the instrument..I'm just not impressed with the build quality of any Yamaha product (except the Clavinova I have at home).

Whatever "floats your boat..."

Russ

#129082 - 09/29/04 04:13 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I try to upgrade once every year or so because I can still get top value for the "old" keyboard and the new one helps keep me fresh and up to date.
DonM

#129083 - 09/29/04 06:51 PM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One more update and I better think about updating to a new way of life--living by myself!

I'll stick with the 3K until a Tyros with speakers and a USB drive becomes available. After that update, I think I'll just retire to working 40 to 50 hours a week.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#129084 - 09/30/04 06:56 AM Re: Regret my PSR 3000 purchase...
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Tom Cavanaugh,

Why can't you use your pedals with the Tyros? My midi pedals, a 25 note midied Wurlitzer set, transmit on channel 3 and I can hook the midi out from it to the midi in on anything that will receive on that channel and play it. The Tyros has two sets of midi plugs (plus the USB midi) and you should be able to set it up to work. If not, just look around for one of the Korg half rack sound modules used on Ebay or the local stores or the newspaper and then use that. The Korg module shouldn't be more than $200 to $400 used and you could just dedicate it to pedals playing.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online