SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#128742 - 12/26/06 06:30 PM Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
TrentN Offline

Loc: Hope, IN
My first post here, and I am asking something that I do not have the skill to clearly ask.

When recording to multi-track software such as cubase LE, is it possible to separate the various instrument mix?

For example, having the accompaniment instruments in a style show up in different channels along with the vocals.

Can the sequencing/midi software in Cubase accompish this?

#128743 - 12/26/06 11:34 PM Re: Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You have to record your sequence into cubase, solo each instrument, and record it separately.

You might also separate each drum (or drum group, whatever) and record them separate - if you WANT to process the track differently, or mess with the drum mix later.....

#128744 - 12/26/06 11:51 PM Re: Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
not sure if it is of any help, but a very old copy of Cakewalk i had (version3, about 10-12 years ago) had a CAL (kind of automated script within Cakewalk) which could do exacly that.
You played some accompaniment and after running the script it sorted out the midi messages according to channel.
perhaps there is a similar utiity in the net.

#128745 - 12/26/06 11:55 PM Re: Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
not sure I've undertood correctly, please ignore if I've misunderstood..

You could actually record your keyboard performance on your psr, save as a midifile. Load it into a pc sequencer & each of the psr's style tracks will show up seperately ( bass , drums etc). You could then record additional tracks via midi, & I imagine you could then record your vocals to the sequencer as well. ( I don't sing so not sure how that works)

pg music has a functional demo vers of Powertracks (it can't save, though) http://www.pgmusic.com/demo.htm
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TrentN:
[b]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 12-26-2006).]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 12-26-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#128746 - 12/27/06 04:36 AM Re: Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
not sure if it is of any help, but a very old copy of Cakewalk i had (version3, about 10-12 years ago) had a CAL (kind of automated script within Cakewalk) which could do exacly that. You played some accompaniment and after running the script it sorted out the midi messages according to channel. perhaps there is a similar utiity in the net.

If there is something like this, I want it! I have asked this same question.

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com

#128747 - 12/27/06 06:56 AM Re: Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
All of the major sequencers can multitrack record midi, but they all do it slightly differently so you need to read the manual and/or go to the web forum for your particular sequencer and ask how.

However, as Rikki says, if you simply record the performance on your keyboard and then save it as a type 1 standard midi file, you can then load that into any sequencer and have it come up with all the tracks laid out separately.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#128748 - 12/29/06 06:35 AM Re: Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
TrentN Offline

Loc: Hope, IN
Thanks for all the answers. Reason for asking is that I just got a Firepod and my goal is to mix each instrument and vocal track after
recording it. Or, I may decide later to completely remove the bass and play mine instead. I'm no pro, but just want to have fun.

My time is limited, so it may be a while before I can post again, but I will try some of the ideas that have been presented.

[This message has been edited by TrentN (edited 12-29-2006).]

#128749 - 12/29/06 07:32 AM Re: Recording Session Question, PSR 3K
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi TrentN,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking a great question . . . and thanks to you guys with the answers.

It hadn't dawned on me to enter a midifile into my Adobe Audition and have it separate everything. It sounds like this could be a lotta fun.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online