SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#128433 - 04/07/02 06:57 AM PSR2000 Midi question
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Hi everyone!

This weekend I decided to do what I have been wanting to do all winter, hook my 76 key arranger to my PSR2000. I went out and purchased a QuikLok QL642 double keyboard stand for a million dollars and an inexpensive mic and a little mic attachment so it plunks next to the keyboard for easy access. I am singing to the fish and dogs! The dogs always want to go out when I do this ha-ha

Anyways, I know midi hookups pretty well and I now am controlling my PSR2000 with my measley ole Casio WK-1800!! I gotta have 76 keys and I like the keyboard anyways and it was cheap! Everything works but I am not sure I have saved the settings correctly. Here is what I changed:

I changed the root midi setting to 2-16 on except the first channel which transmits from the Casio. When I saved the setting everything works fine as long as I do not edit the saved file. If I go to edit my saved midi settings file, it falls back to the default and I have to do it from scratch again. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe I shouldn't edit the file? I want to be able to go back into it and see what I changed or adjust but maybe you can't do this without losing the settings?

-Linda

#128434 - 04/09/02 04:31 AM Re: PSR2000 Midi question
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Just an observation - the PSR630 midi implementation resets itself if you change the "midi template" from "User" to any other; you can only get back to "User" by editing an existing template and so effectively any settings you had in your "user" setting beforehand have just been wiped. I wonder if the 2000 is "auto resetting" the template when you try to edit it?

#128435 - 04/09/02 05:20 AM Re: PSR2000 Midi question
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Linda,
instead to sing "to the fish and the dog", why don't you record something for us?
We would love to hear your beautiful voice!
Andrea

#128436 - 04/09/02 09:44 AM Re: PSR2000 Midi question
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Linda,
I'm would like to know how well your Casio controls your 2000? I have a 2000 and I looking to pickup a used or unexpensived 76 key board to control my 2000. To use here at home for a while. When I play I use the full chord setting(I believe that's right)so I play full chords or single finger chords with my left hand! My only reason for single finger chords is when I'm useing Pitch Bend, or a lot of changes on the fly, it's faster.
One question Linda isn't Casio's two finger
7th's & minors backwards from Yamaha or any other KB? If they are it would be award for me. Habits ase hard to break. Ha!
How would you compare the Keys on your casio to the 2000? Are they firmer? Heaver?
How are the sounds & Styles on your WK-1800?
The one I have really had in mind was the Solton MS-100 I would like to find someone who has played one of these & could tell me about the Board and the keys, how well its made.
I know that it is know longer made.
But it's hard to find one I can afford, or if it would Midi up to my PSR-2000, and be a good controler as well.
Sorry Linda!! I drifted a little off the subject today, but I was full of questions.
A friend,
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-09-2002).]

#128437 - 04/09/02 02:34 PM Re: PSR2000 Midi question
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Mac,

Yes, I believe this is what the midi setting is doing. As long as I do not touch the file its fine. Once I go into edit the settings go back to the default. I will have to play with this more as I like controling the 2000 with my 76 keys. I was hoping that I could save the setting and edit them when I wanted. Thanks for the info.

Dreamer,
This old voice will never be heard on the synthzone. I come from a family of opera singers. My Grandfather who was italian and studied in his homeland Italy sang Opera way back in the early 1900's in France and Spain and ended up at the Boston Opera House where he finally gave it all up. I grew up listening to Opera. I did not aquire his voice. I just sing for my own enjoyment with my keyboard for fun. I wish I had that talent! Thanks for asking though.

Nobby,
Yes, I control the whole 2000 with the Casio. It works great! Also, yes, the Casio chords are opposite the Yamaha's. I can do it both ways now after playing them both for a few months. It does become confusing at times but I will stick with the Casio way for now. If I figure out how to get the chords to play the Yamaha direction I will let you know.

The Casio WK-1800 is nothing fancy but the keys are a bit more rugged than the Yamahas and I just like having those extra keys! It was an inexpensive way of getting a 76 key board. The styles I play through midi out through PSR and they sound great. The Casio alone sounds pretty good anyways but it does not touch the sound quality of the Yamaha. The Casio has a great sound system with lots of bass and you can use DSP on it also. I only paid $365 for it.

-Linda

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online