SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#128320 - 07/26/00 09:02 AM Roland's D-Beam
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Hi,

With regard to composition, can these D-Beam controllers (as featured in the EM-2000 and VA-7) be used to add, for example, dynamics to a part already recorded into a sequencer ....crescendos and decrescendos etc?

Is it a matter of setting the Beam to a certain controller number, expression for instance, and then 'recording' hand movements into the sequencer?

Apart from this (if what I described is actually possible) what other uses have performers/composers found for this tool?

Thank you

------------------
Rich

[This message has been edited by RichUK (edited 07-26-2000).]

#128321 - 07/26/00 09:26 AM Re: Roland's D-Beam
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Rich
First off, let me tell you I'm no expert. But the D-beam isn't likely to be able to do the things you wwant. I have an EM2000 and don't use the D-beam at all. Mostly because it is blocked by a Yamaha keyboard that sits on the top tier of that stand.
From what I remember, Roland has a menu page of a limited number of functions you can choose for the beam. I don't think you can choose which CC message you want it to effect. It's an interesting device - just not all that useful. Others may know more.
Tom

#128322 - 07/27/00 04:29 AM Re: Roland's D-Beam
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Thanks guys, I guess I was letting my imagination take over a little there. Now how about using this device as a Theremin?

Cheers

------------------
Rich

#128323 - 07/27/00 07:58 AM Re: Roland's D-Beam
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gosh Dave, the audience is always ready to give me a finger--no I mean a hand.
Don

#128324 - 07/27/00 10:10 PM Re: Roland's D-Beam
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dave,
I understand your thinking the D Beam is good for groove oriented music, but I've had some fun using it with the EM2000 to quickly add a fill in, or quickly mute one of the style tracks without having to go deep into menu pages. It's also very cool to use for slowing down or speeding up a style temporarily rather than going to the tempo dials or buttons.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online