SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128250 - 07/20/03 11:22 PM Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Help! Probably the most frustrating thing about performing on all the arranger keyboards I've owned (Roland RA800, Technics KN5000, Yamaha PSR2000 & Tyros) is their universal lack of LCD screen viewability when performing outdoors in the sunlight. This problem occurs equally on both a color or monochrome LCD screen. Even adjusting the contrast and the screen's tilt angle often does not sufficiently improve the screen's visability. The problem is often so bad that I have had to improvise a screen hood (made of cardboard) in attempt to keep away the excess outdoor light. Implementing a jerry rigged card board hood is both unattractive and makes navigating the LCD screen more cumbersome. I always make sure that I'm situated in the shade or under an umbrella or tent, but even here, the ambient outdoor ultraviolent light greatly reduces screen viewability.

I'm wondering if there might be a new improved viewing screen design type recently developed (and which could be incorporated in the next generation of arranger keyboards) ,which would allow good viewability both indoors and outdoors? I had heard (rumor only?) that some more recent laptop computers & palm devices incorporate screens specially designed to be easily viewed outdoors in sunlight. Does anybody know about these and how these work? I'm wondering what the prospects are for future arranger keyboard screen to incorporate this as well.

Does anybody else experience the same screen visibabilty frustrations when performing outdoors? I welcome feedback and comments. Thanks.

Scott

#128251 - 07/21/03 04:24 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
Dnj Offline

Scott,

This will help you. maybe you can customize it to fit your needs in outdoor gig situations.
http://www.askergoworks.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=4&subcat=63&cat=Antiglare+Filte rs

http://www.monitorvisor.com/cartexe/monitor_vis.asp

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-21-2003).]

#128252 - 07/21/03 06:10 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

I've made hoods for LCD keyboard displays and under ideal conditions they'll work OK. The filters don't work because they're built to filter out light coming into the screen--not improve what is coming out.

The bottom line is that despite complaints from hundreds of outdoor performers, the keyboard manufacturers don't really care to spend the few extra bucks and use Super Twist LCD technology that has been used in the marine electronics industry for nearly a decade. Three years ago, Lowrance Corporation developed a new, color, super twist screen for their fathometers that actually gets brighter in direct sunlight. Additioinally, the resolution is far superior to any keyboard screen. The cost of the the fathometer is under $600 and I'm sure that very little of that cost is the actual screen.

Hey Steve Demming, pass this along to the powers to be and see what their response is to the growing number of consumers that perform outdoors.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#128253 - 07/21/03 06:55 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Scott: this may sound stupid but have you tried using sunglasses? The polarized kind that cut out UV may help you see the screen better. Besides, the future's so bright... etc.

#128254 - 07/21/03 07:09 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
Vquestor Offline

Sony just came out with a new LCD screen
that has a mirror-like coating behind it, which is supposed to be much easier to see in
sunlight. It is only in a few of their newest
camcorders at the moment.

#128255 - 07/21/03 07:45 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Scott: have you tried using sunglasses? The polarized kind that cut out UV may help you see the screen better.

Hi Jim: I actually do wear sunglasses (and ones which include UV protection) when performing outdoors. Though it helps (a little), it doesn't sufficiently solve the problem as the text and graphics still look very 'washed out' no matter how I adjust the screen's constrast level & tilt position angle.

Though my sunglasses offer full UV protection, I don't believe they're specifically the polarizing variety though, so if investing in a pair of 'polarizing' type sunglasses will actually dramatically improve LCD screen visability outdoors, it sounds like a good solution, but before forking out cash, I'd appreciate hearing from people with first hand experience wearing 'polarized' sunglasses when viewing an arranger kb LCD screen outdoors.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vquestor:
Sony just came out with a new LCD screen
that has a mirror-like coating behind it, which is supposed to be much easier to see in sunlight. It is only in a few of their newest camcorders at the moment.

Vquestor: Thanks for the promising news. I only hope that the arranger kb manufacterers will follow suit here. Curious if the mirror-like coating affects screen visiability indoors at all. The idea screen would allow viewing ease both indoors and out.

Scott

#128256 - 07/21/03 08:10 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Maybe Jim's suggestion will work but I have yet to try it myself so I do not know if it will. It is worth a try and Polarized Sunglasses are cheaper today than they were a few years ago.

Also about LCD technology. The best technology for bright light conditions at a fairly reasonable price may be the "Transflective" type. It is suppose to be 'excellent' for use in bright light situations.

"Transflective LCDs are a mixture of the reflective and transmissive types-(those that do not reflect ambient light), with the rear polarizer having partial reflectivity. They are combined with a backlight for use in all types of lighting conditions. The backlight can be left off where there is sufficient outside lighting, conserving power. In darker environments, the backlight is turned on to provide a bright display. Transflective LCDs will not "wash out" when operated in direct sunlight."

To be "best" for bright light situations the 'Characters' or 'Type' must be a "Positive Image". In other words, a light background with a dark character referred to as "Type" or dot, hence the term dot matrix. PS: I think the Tyros display is a 640x480 dots, ie., pixels or 'resolution' display. To be best for bright light situations the background image should actually be light 'grey' segments (background) with dark characters, ie., type or dots.

The Transflective image in a 'low' light situation is solved by the use of a "backlight" which could be turned on to make the image viewable in low light.

This would definitely solve the problem with different lighting situations but getting Yamaha or other Manufacturers to implement it could be as hard as trying to pull teeth from a little child.

Also Gary's solution sounds very interesting too but here again were up against Corporate Monstrosities whose very nature is cutting corners WHEREVER possible to save on costs and enhance their bottom line, ie., their profit margins WHENEVER possible. To get them to look beyond that and focus more on their customers wants and wishes is almost like trying to part the Red Sea. In other words it would take a miracle for it to happen imo. But miracles can and do happen. So I will remain optimistic that they will eventually solve the "LCD display working effectively in every environment and lighting condition" problem someday.

Best regards,
Mike

#128257 - 07/21/03 08:27 AM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
Louis-Simon Ouellet Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
hi Scott

you have a nice TV output on this Tyros. why not carry a small TV ? a TV has a better chance of gining you a good picture, it can be a small 5 inch or 14 inch.

its also a great feature for folks who are visually challenged.

take care
Simon

#128258 - 07/21/03 07:48 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Scott,

I just checked out the screen on the 2000 with my polaroids. Guess what? The LCD screen cover has a polarized piece of plastic over the screen. When you look at it in direct sunlight with polaroid glasses, the entire screen turns black--just the same as when you put one pair of polaroid glasses over another--bad news.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#128259 - 07/21/03 09:42 PM Re: Arranger Keyboard's Limited LCD Screen Viewability Performing Outdoors!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
When you look at it in direct sunlight with polaroid glasses, the entire screen turns black.
Gary

Gary, thanks for saving me the trouble of having to go out to purchase a pair of polo shades myself to only then discover myself further in the dark than before.

I'm sure there's gotta be at least a few more of you outdoorsmen type individuals out there who 'rough it' and take your keyboard outdoors to play in the bare elements: street festivals, pool parties, etc. I'd sure like to hear how others of you are dealing with the limited keyboard screen visability outdoors. - Scott

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online