SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#128196 - 07/13/01 12:55 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I find that the midi playback is the biggest (maybe ONLY)edge that the G1000 has over the 9kpro. The Yamaha has a better acoustic piano, FAR better organs, and the list goes on. The performance controllers are pretty complete in both units but the 1000 is not as quick to figure out. After a time, both are easy to navigate, but the Roland needs more setups. The 9k is a breeze to drive - right out of the showroom!
Go ahead, Fran.......

#128197 - 07/13/01 10:41 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Eric & Denny
What exactly do you mean by tweaking it? Are you saying it doesn't sound too hot until you go in and edit all the sounds? I have a psr740, and it sounds really nice without me doing anything to it. I'm thinking of trading up to the 9000, but I don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't sound as good as my 740 does now. And I don't want to spend weeks trying to set up the 9000. Is there some site or reference you could point me to regarding what exact settings need changing on the 9000? TIA.
Tom

[This message has been edited by TomTomSF (edited 07-13-2001).]

#128198 - 07/14/01 10:06 AM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Tom,
of course the KB sounds great out of the box.
Since it is a pro KB you have all kinds of tools to edit the sounds the way you want, to make it your very own KB and sound
For example: I like the accomp DSP setting between 70 and 76 (neutral is 64), then I turn the E-guitars up to 100 to 120 high EQ and the low EQ to 120. The harmonic content I adjust from 76 to 86 depending on the guitar used. That gives it a more live feel with a punch. I used to be a guitar player that's why this is important to me.
If you look in the music data base for example you see that the high EQ setting for the Live Nylon Guitar is 106 most of the time. That brings it more to live to.
I also like to feel the base in some rhythms.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Eric

#128199 - 07/14/01 12:24 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My Turn Dave, How about the edges the G1000 has over the PSR and PRO 9000... Like the newly discovered problem of the arrangement hold function of the left hand that seems to be missing on the Yammy. And the fact that the drums have problems playing styles and sequences correctly on the 9k.. and that annoying noisy sound on those "far better organs than the G1000"...I thought they were grinding coffee beans....Maybe you can loan me one of your 9k's so I can give an honest review...Fran

#128200 - 07/14/01 03:56 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Fran
I don't know what left hand hold function your talking about,
but if it is to hold the left hand voice in the accomp.
it works great on the 9K PRO.

I have never had any problem with drums not playing styles correct &
I have alot of Korg, Roland, Solton, Gem, & Technics Styles converted
to PSR they all work great.
Don't know about playing sequences as I don't use them, only tried a few & they seemed to work OK.

As for the organ sounds the only noise I find in them is like the
noise my old Hammond organ with slide bars had if you set things up to sound that way.

I find this kind of noise on some Organ voices like Jazz Organ's etc. & if you turn down the Low EQ you can get rid of that to.

I also have a dual 31 band EQ, Plus 10 band EQ on mixer, 3 band on powered speakers + the 5 band in the KB so it does make the KB quite versatile.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#128201 - 07/14/01 05:38 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The lefy hand HOLD feature that Fran is talking about is this:
During Arranger mode - can you lift your hand up and hear ONLY drumes? It seems that the chord holds forever unless you turn OFF the arr button. No other keyboard behaves this way. - Score 1 for the Roland
The organs sound so much more authentic than the Roland - noise is part of the Hammond sound. I think the leslie sim is terrific too. 1 for the Yamaha.
Sequence playback is a subjective issue - no one can expect anything to be 100% compatible. My feeling is that any time you use a sequence that you DID NOT create yourself - you take youe chances. Most of them sound ok. Some sound better. Even score.
No time to loan any out - summer is packed. Get your own!.......Youknow I'm still looking froa better way, but this will do for now. Of all the models we've had over the years - the G1000 is one I miss the LEAST. I hate the Roland drum patterns. They have a stiff feel to the swing patterns. Rock & Latin are OK - but my favorite swings are still Korgs.

#128202 - 07/14/01 08:43 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave,
When in any fingered chord mode, if you play 3 lefthand notes together (for example F, F#, G) then all the arranger parts except the drums stop. When you play at least a 3-note chord, the other parts resume. It's a very useful function that you probably already know about.
I know this function is also on 740, 640, 540, 8000, etc.
DonM

#128203 - 07/14/01 08:50 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Great tip Don! Until you mentioned it, I didn't remember this feature. When I learned this a couple of years ago I thought it was a great feature. I haven't used it in so long that I forgot all about it. Thanks so much for this information.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#128204 - 07/14/01 08:56 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
Jane Offline

Loc: Chandler AZ 85224
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlstarry:
I have alot of Korg, Roland, Solton, Gem, & Technics Styles converted
to PSR they all work great.

Hi Denny,
I'm thinking of buying a 9000 Pro and I'm curious how you convert styles from other keyboards to the Yamaha because I have a Korg i3. How is this accomplished?
Thanks,
Jane

#128205 - 07/14/01 11:02 PM Re: Yamaha 9000pro
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Jane
Fran Carango sell's a software program for the computer called EMC, & you can convert
styles with this program.
I got all of my styles already converted to
Yamaha PSR styles, from another Keyboard
forum that I belong to it is great for Yamaha
owners. The link is
http.//www.egroups.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles
This is for new uploaded styles & the Forum.

http.//spectromagic.com/PSR-Styles-Vault-Archive/
is where they put the older converted styles
to make room for new ones on the other site.

If you have any ?'s let me know I will try to help.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online