Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128050 - 12/20/06 07:14 PM Question on Sys Ex messages
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
wondering if someone can help.
Not terribly clear on what sysex messages can & can't do.

Would it be possible to use sysex to turn off the internal voice in a style track ie

I currently have my psr1500 midied to my Ketron SD2 sound module.
I was hoping to be able to use the psr internal sounds for just say the chord & pad tracks, & the sd2 for the bass & drum tracks.

Problem is, if I turn local control off , (for style parts) , all the style parts end up having to be played by the sd2.

I can't use mute function or turn down the volume in a style track, as this also effects playback on the sd2 .

What I'm basically wondering is , would a sysex message mute the internal psr sound in a style track, but still allow my sd2 to play that track.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#128051 - 12/20/06 08:04 PM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Rikki, sorry I can't help, but I'm sure there's a way... with MIDI and sysex just about anything can be done. I only wish there was a "Sysex For Dummies" book. Good luck.

Glenn

#128052 - 12/21/06 01:58 AM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I wondered if the Midi setup could be adjusted to do what you want, but that won't mute your local playback so I don't think that's an option.

Perhaps you could simulate muting by turning local control off but feeding the keyboard midi output back into the input (assuming the SD2 has a "midi through") and adjusting the midi input parameters?

SysEx is a part of the midi protocol that allows manufacturers to define their own command strings that control functionality of their systems without having to worry about affecting any of the standard midi functionality.

In the case of Yamaha with XG (and I assume Roland with GS) they have published a set of specific SysEx message formats to be used to control aspects of XG voice and effects parameters, and this tends to be replicated within all Yamaha instruments with XG capability.

However what you want to do isn't part of standard Midi or of "standard" XG, so it all depend on explicit support built-in by Yamaha.

And I don't see it.

I've had a good look at the PSR1500/3000 midi data leaflet. Unfortunately I don't see any any messages in the "Style" area that will do what you want.

#128053 - 12/21/06 04:35 AM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Rikki
Does the Yamaha have a Midi voice bank, i.e.- the Midi voice contains no sound but just sends the appropriate commands (To select the voice) to the SD 2.
If it does then you can just edit it to send the correct information (Voice selection) to the SD 2.
It should then be easy to change the style sounds (A drum kit is just a sound that has different instruments on each key) to select the Midi voice.
Hope this helps

Bill

#128054 - 12/21/06 05:17 AM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
Rikki:

There is no track off sysex that I am aware of, but you can trick the PSR into playing the track without sounding. Just change the MSB Bank Select for the tracks (you will need to look in the CASM to see which midi tracks go to the Bass , etc) to a value that the PSR does not use, say 100. Your other midi devices probably don't use the XG specification and will ignore the MSB, but the PSR will consider it illegal and not play anything.The program CasmEdit is an easy way to look up the Casm and edit the MSB events.

Regards,

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael P. Bedesem (edited 12-21-2006).]

#128055 - 12/21/06 01:38 PM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Sneaky

#128056 - 12/21/06 06:39 PM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Glenn
"I only wish there was a "Sysex For Dummies"

Be handy for me too.

Hi,
thank you.
haven't tried that particular setup , I'll give it a go & see what happens.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacAllcock:
[B]
Perhaps you could simulate muting by turning local control off but feeding the keyboard midi output back into the input (assuming the SD2 has a "midi through") and adjusting the midi input parameters?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#128057 - 12/21/06 06:43 PM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bill,
not that I'm aware of.

I may need to do some extra "manual" study.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]Hi Rikki
Does the Yamaha have a Midi voice bank, i.e.- the Midi voice contains no sound but just sends the appropriate commands

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#128058 - 12/21/06 07:01 PM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Michael,

Ketron only uses MSB, not LSB.

Maybe that will give me the scope for trying to fool the psr.

I'll let you know how I go.

thank you

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#128059 - 12/25/06 12:19 PM Re: Question on Sys Ex messages
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Michael,
I've managed to mute some of the psr tracks
by doing what you suggested, but I haven't found a way of muting individual sd2 tracks.
SD2 only uses controller 0 (no controller 32 )& appears to default to main gm bank when it gets unidentifiable bank changes.

One thing at least, psr now works midied to sd1+. On the sd1 I have the option of manually muting the tracks I don't want it to play.

Pity the sd2 doesn't have the same option. It's easier to midi up the the little sd2 module than midi up a huge 76 note keyboard( sd1+)

I still have the option of having the SD2 play all of the style parts (& quite frankly the sound quality on the sd2 is superior to my psr1500), just would have been nice to have the mix option.

Miss the good old days where you could buy one of those little Anatek pocket pedals. They had solutions for all sorts of problems. A little channel on/off switcher would have been perfect.

Thanks for your help, I've at least discovered a way of muting the psr tracks & having a mix of SD1+ & PSR sounds.

Merry Xmas

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:
[B]Rikki:
but you can trick the PSR into playing the track without sounding. Just change the MSB Bank Select for the tracks (you will need to look in the CASM to see which midi tracks go to the Bass , etc) to a value that the PSR does not use, say 100. Your other midi devices probably don't use the XG specification and will ignore the MSB, but the PSR will consider it illegal and not play anything.The program CasmEdit is an easy way to look up the Casm and edit the MSB events.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online