SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#127896 - 07/27/01 04:31 AM An Open Letter to Yamaha
Beakybird Offline

Dear Yamaha,

I own two PSR 740s. I use one every day at my job performing for disabled children and the elderly. I use the other one in my studio as a songwriter. In many songs, I use the SIMPLE INTRO button to insert a drum break in the song.

A drum break is different from a silent break with a tag which is what I suppose your BREAK button will provide.

I am ready to purchase a PSR 2000. Is there any way that you could make sure that choosing an intro or ending in the middle of a song is user friendly? There have been suggestions in this and other forums that this procedure will require several steps which will make it too complex to execute in the middle of a song.

I know that a lot of musicians will be disappointed if, in fact, it requires several steps to choose an intro or ending. I and many others are hoping that the PSR 2000 is superior to the PSR 740 in every way, and not inferior to its predecessor in any way.

Thank you,

Larry Levin
PS, is there anyone in this forum who can get this to someone in Yamaha or knows how I can get it there?

#127897 - 07/27/01 08:47 AM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
May I add another request? I certainly hope the Vocal Harmony can be muted by foot switch. This was not an option on the 740.
Thanks,
DonM

#127898 - 07/27/01 11:14 AM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
Beakybird Offline

At least with the PSR 740 you can press one easily accessible button to turn on and off the vocal harmony. A footswitch would be a nice feature. I, myself, would probably not use the feature because I like to keep my setup time to a minimum.

But what if you do one song with a simple intro and simple ending and want to do the next song with different intros and endings. What I really fear is that for each song, to change this setting, I would have to go through a whole rigamarole. After I selected the style, I would have to go through a whole function menu to choose which intro and ending I wanted to activate, and then during the song, if I wanted to insert a different intro, I would have to, while singing and performing, go through a whole function menu to do this. This would just be intolerable, and would possibly turn me off of buying this keyboard.

#127899 - 07/27/01 03:19 PM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I really can't imagine that Yamaha would do that. One of their strengths is ease of operation.
DonM

#127900 - 07/27/01 04:34 PM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
Beakybird Offline

Does anyone know how one will be able to select intros and endings on the PSR 2000? What I've heard suggested thus far is very user-unfriendly.

#127901 - 07/27/01 07:53 PM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Isn't there a picture of the button layout floating around somewhere? I thought I saw it already. There was a row of buttons for the fills, etc. Search the Yamaha sites.
Oh yeah - Don M,
The Yamaha guy (Dave) told me that there will be two footswitch jacks. I gues they will be programmable...... we'll see.

#127902 - 07/27/01 08:17 PM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Dave
Try Simon Williams Location. http://www.svpworld.com/2000review.htm#new
Nobby

------------------
PS Scroll to the top of the page.

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 07-27-2001).]

#127903 - 07/27/01 09:28 PM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
You might want to contact Yamaha Service & Support. They are good about answering the email replies (although it might take 3-4 days). Let them know your concerns. It might not make a difference - but at least you've tried, and they will hear your ideas. try using this link to reach them:
http://www.yamaha.com/ycaservice/group020/fgrop020.htm

They got back to me on my question whether the 2000 will accept a hard drive (answer = no).
Tom

#127904 - 07/27/01 09:30 PM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
Beakybird Offline

So there are no buttons for the different fills or for the different intros and endings, at least as far as the eye can see. Very confusing. If these functions are on the main display, how accessible will they be? You would think that choosing a fill or an appropriate intro or ending, that these functions are among the most elementary and essential of the keyboard, so that there would be dedicated buttons for these things. I'm sure crossing my fingers that Yamaha doesn't screw things up.

Larry

#127905 - 07/27/01 09:50 PM Re: An Open Letter to Yamaha
Beakybird Offline

I just sent an email to Yamaha. If anyone finds out anything in the meantime, please post it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online