SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127864 - 02/28/07 04:00 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i've heard bill gates saying microsoft intend to release a new windows OS every three years from now on (he was in bucharest to launch vista). i wonder, if that will happen (i think it wont anyway) how on earth will all the aplications and hardware components will upgrade so often?! some of us still use win 98, or win 2000....
i did not find anything apart the visual effects apealing to me on vista. maybe because i am quite happy with the xp, i don t feel alot of things could be better.... just my oppinion.

i mean, ALOT of things could be better, but i dont think vista will bring them. not yet at least.

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 02-28-2007).]

#127865 - 02/28/07 08:27 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Isn't there a backwards compatability option with Vista, as there is with XP?

#127866 - 02/28/07 08:41 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Yes, however compatibility mode cannot help (In Vista or XP) if there are no suitable drivers available for the hardware. (Compatibility mode in XP was also of limited success)
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#127867 - 03/01/07 08:22 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading their computer to Vista. http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1708238/page/1#Pos t1708238
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, avoid like the plague for at least 6 months, and even then you will probably have to throw all your old hardware and software out.
You Have Been Warned

Bill
[/QUOTE

The upgrades "over time" have always allowed us to do more powerful things that we could not have dreamed about a few years ago.

You have to be flexible and decide which upgrades are right for you, and when to change.

If it wasn't for all the changes in operating systems I would still be using my Commodore 64. I probably spent more on that system than any other computer.

Keyboard with OS chip. $300, Monitor $300, Floppy disk drive $250, Modem $100, Printer $250, Disks $1 each, Software $50 each program, etc..............

And it wasn't compatible with anything else.

Jerry

#127868 - 03/04/07 12:55 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerryghr:
If it wasn't for all the changes in operating systems I would still be using my Commodore 64. I probably spent more on that system than any other computer.

Jerry

I remember my C64 very fondly. At the time it was a great system. I used it for MIDI sequencing, games and I learnt how to program computers on it. I am still programming video games over 22 years later and I owe it all to my C64. I ended programming around four commercially published games on it while it was around. I don't regret a penny I spent on it ... but I admit it was expensive compared to modern computers.

#127869 - 03/04/07 03:03 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I had a Commodore SX64, a self contained portable (the first laptop? No, more like a satchel!) and remember with horror Dr.T's sequencer.... My God, how things have got better!

#127870 - 03/04/07 04:06 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I started with ATARI 1024 plus Cubase...Happy days

#127871 - 03/04/07 04:10 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I had an "Etch-A-Sketch"...the memory was very limited and not too reliable(one little shake would screw it up) and it was very difficult making zeros.

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.

#127872 - 03/04/07 09:47 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I just gave away the C 64 and a pair of Amiga 2500's that used to run this recording studio. I did keep the RGB Monitor though.
Bebop

#127873 - 03/04/07 11:11 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still got my Atari Mega ST4, and the old Cubase for it (dongle and expander ports and all!). I STILL have trouble getting timing as tight on USB MIDI interfaces as I got on that old thing....!

I used to sync it up to a cassette recorder with SMPTE, lay down audio on left track, SMPTE on the right (I used to do a lot of MIDI tracks from audio) and the thing locked up like a champ. Who says you need a guard track?!

Never have liked what happened to Cubase after VST5.... It's taken to SX3 to get back many of the MIDI functions I took for granted, and it still is buggy for a lot of basic MIDI stuff. I still tend to do all my preproduction in VST5 on OS9, render to audio, and mix on the newer stuff if it's only audio.

But every time I get frustrated, I take a peek at my old Dr. T's manual, and then I feel much better!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online