SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127854 - 02/27/07 04:38 AM Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading their computer to Vista. http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1708238/page/1#Post1708238
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, avoid like the plague for at least 6 months, and even then you will probably have to throw all your old hardware and software out.
You Have Been Warned

Bill

#127855 - 02/27/07 11:43 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Ketron User Offline

Thanks for the warning, Bill.

I wait to upgrade my Abacus...

Best Regards.
Carlo

#127856 - 02/27/07 12:11 PM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thank you for the warning Bill. I still use some old software like xgworks, & an old xg softsynth. These programs have been discontinued, so I doubt there'll ever be a fix for them , if they don't happen to work with vista.
I'll be hanging onto xp for as long as possible.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#127857 - 02/27/07 02:56 PM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I'm not a tech guy but I gave up trying to upgrade OS a few systems ago, now I only switch when I have to and when I do I buy a new machine that was built for and has the new OS installed. Not that that is trouble free either.
I remember reinstalling win 98 once a month or so, until I got a disk image program.
Now with xp I've had it for years and have never had to reinstall it.
I can't see any reason to switch to vista until they make me.
As a matter of fact the week Vista came out a tax preparer friend of mine had me searching all over trying to find new computers with xp installed and not vista.

#127858 - 02/27/07 03:42 PM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
The computer industry really has us by the short and curlies, don't they?

#127859 - 02/27/07 03:56 PM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unless you are editing video, doing full studio-scale productions at 192KHz or playing kid's shoot-em-up games, older machines are more than capable of doing what WE need them to.

Remember, a computer is just a tool.... No point buying every new design spade that comes out if the old spade still digs a perfectly good hole....

#127860 - 02/27/07 04:19 PM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
My main computer (this one!) still runs Windows2000 pro. Never had problem one with it, but I wish I could run Microsoft Defender with it. Microsoft stopped supporting it for versions before XP.....................

#127861 - 02/27/07 08:55 PM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
MarcK Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I'm not a tech guy but I gave up trying to upgrade OS a few systems ago, now I only switch when I have to and when I do I buy a new machine that was built for and has the new OS installed. Not that that is trouble free either.
I remember reinstalling win 98 once a month or so, until I got a disk image program.
Now with xp I've had it for years and have never had to reinstall it.
I can't see any reason to switch to vista until they make me.
As a matter of fact the week Vista came out a tax preparer friend of mine had me searching all over trying to find new computers with xp installed and not vista.

Not hard to do - check out Dell's Outlet website.

#127862 - 02/27/07 11:01 PM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing is.... don't get a computer to run Vista, get a computer to run Vista after ALL the apps and drivers you use and need are Vista-ready (and bug-free). Otherwise, all you have is a conversation piece.....

#127863 - 02/28/07 03:37 AM Re: Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcK:
Not hard to do - check out Dell's Outlet website.

Thanks for the tip! you're right

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online