SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#127694 - 04/27/05 12:53 PM Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
Camron2005 Offline

Loc: Middlesbrough
Hi all,

I recently bought a Casio WK-3500 (great purchase) and on the keyboard itself using the DSP I can create all sorts of great tunes but there's one problem. I have so much muisc i wanna make but just no idea how to record it from my Casio into Cubase SX 2.0 and eventually end up with an audio mixdown of the a tune I played from the keyboard that works!
I have connected a USB 1x1 midi in/out connection but I just cant get the sounds i hear on my keyboard to come through on my computer the same. they just come out as General Midi insted.
Any help would be greatly appriciated as you all seem very in the know here.

Many Thnaks
Paul

#127695 - 04/27/05 01:02 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Paul,

Check out this site, they're all Casio 3xxx users there and they can answer anything concerning Casio WK series.
http://www.originalz.com/casio/

Enjoy,
John

#127696 - 04/27/05 01:47 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi camron, okly dokly, you will need an instrument definition(thats in sonar speak) or a cubase patchscript file / studio module driver...once this is loaded into your sequencer program you can then access the higher banks of sounds (which is where all the good stuff is on synths.)then just set your sequencer midi tracks to output using that, and even boring old midi files off the net can sound good, albeit with some modifications ie changing banks etc..the previous advice holds, check out the specific forums for detailed advice on getting this info..also if you check out the back of the casio manual the midi specs should be there, so if you go to each track of your midi file and manually change the banks and patches, that will work also, a bit more fiddly but it can be done..you mnaual should indicate the MSB (or bank) and the appropriate pacth number..BUT remember in their wisdom the midi group in 1983 decided to number patches starting from zero, so whilst your book might say bank 0 patch 1 for the main piano sound, it is actually bank 0 patch zero in midi terms..thats assuming it uses the controller 0 method of bank changes, eg in roland's case the first bank after the GM is actually 128, then goes to 256 for bank 2 etc etc, korg is 15488 for the gm bank, them 15489 for bank 2, 15490 for bank3 etc etc, you really have to check your manual..
hope that helps you some,

peace, out

[This message has been edited by manic2257 (edited 04-27-2005).]

#127697 - 04/27/05 02:53 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
Camron2005 Offline

Loc: Middlesbrough
Thats an amazing help, u definately know your stuff. I've been looking everywhere to try and get a patch file for the wk-3500 but i cant find one anywhere to download and it would take me aggeeeesss to put them all in manually into cubase, hmmm sum1 must know where theres a patch file for it!

#127698 - 04/27/05 04:11 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron2005:
I have so much muisc i wanna make but just no idea how to record it from my Casio into Cubase SX 2.0 and eventually end up with an audio mixdown of the a tune I played from the keyboard that works!
I have connected a USB 1x1 midi in/out connection but I just cant get the sounds i hear on my keyboard to come through on my computer the same. they just come out as General Midi insted.

Cubase will record both MIDI sequences and audio tracks. If what you want to do is have Cubase record the sounds that you hear from the Casio, a MIDI connection isn't the answer. You'll need to connect the line outputs of the WK-3500 to audio line inputs on your computer, and set up Cubase to record the audio. That audio can be recorded either as you play it ("live"), part (track) by part, or already sequenced on the Casio.

--Barry

#127699 - 04/27/05 04:48 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
manic2257 Offline

.[/b][/QUOTE]
Cubase will record both MIDI sequences and audio tracks. If what you want to do is have Cubase record the sounds that you hear from the Casio, a MIDI connection isn't the answer. You'll need to connect the line outputs of the WK-3500 to audio line inputs on your computer, and set up Cubase to record the audio. That audio can be recorded either as you play it ("live"), part (track) by part, or already sequenced on the Casio.

--Barry[/B][/QUOTE]

actually barry any sequencer will record via midi the data required to replay the sounds accuarately back thru the synth...when you press play (or play the first chord on an arranger) it sends various sysex, bank and patch information together with the basic note on/off info to the keyboards internal sound generator, this is ALSO transmitted via the midi out, (unless turned off by the user, most 'board manufacturers have this set as on or TX as a default setting)..ergo, if you set your synth midi track to record incoming midi, then start your doodling on your keyboard, hey presto! all that data now resides on the midi track, where you can edit it to your heart's content, and then if you so wish you can direct the sound back from the keyboards audio outs to record it as audio if you wish...this for starters, but one step at a time..
camron you could try www.cubase.net and post a newbie question on whether anyone has a patchscript file for your casio, OR even one for an earlier model in the WK series..you find makers tend to stick to the same formula for their sound banks they just add more....i think with cubase sx you would have to use a patchscript, coz i think they dropped the studio module after SL, but im no too sure on that..after all the studio module has been around a while having been created by steinberg for the old atari music pc's...anyhoo hope that helps some more

peace, out

#127700 - 04/27/05 07:05 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:
actually barry any sequencer will record via midi the data required to replay the sounds accuarately back thru the synth...

Gee, I guess that having written editor/librarian and other software for a few synths didn't educate me in what could be accomplished via MIDI. However, it seemed to me that Paul was asking a somewhat different question, based on both his post above, and one in the Casio forum( http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum6/HTML/000183.html ) in which he asked "Is it possible to just send the sounds you hear from the keyboard straight to the computer without it being MDI and then record it in cubase to be audio mixdown'd?"

So, I'll stand by my response. Additional info is useful, and hopefully Paul will be able to accomplish what he wants using something one or more of us has suggested.

--Barry

#127701 - 04/27/05 08:27 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
manic2257 Offline

my, my touchy touchy...i was merely pointing out that he could achieve a similar result via a different method..but since you ARE the expert..well i mean you've written a program for "gorsh sakes"
...and if you read the comment objectively you would have seen that i didnt say you were wrong..
...comments in other posts on this forum obviously are correct..its a touchy group of people here (wont say bunch coz that would upset the grapes)

#127702 - 04/27/05 09:52 PM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:
my, my touchy touchy...i was merely pointing out that he could achieve a similar result via a different method..

Interesting response; you quoted my post, and then proceeded to "point out" (while addressing ME) how what you envisioned "actually" would work.
Quote:
but since you ARE the expert..well i mean you've written a program for "gorsh
sakes"

I never claimed to be "the expert", but I certainly have a better grasp of MIDI than you had apparently assumed.
Quote:
...and if you read the comment objectively you would have seen that i didnt say you were wrong..

No, you were just dismissive, "actually". I had offered an approach based on a different read of Paul's question, and you apparently just couldn't leave that alone.

You also didn't leave alone my response explaining why I felt my original take on Paul's question was valid. Please notice that in my first post on the topic, I quoted Paul's original message, and was not responding to nor finding fault with what YOU had suggested.
Quote:
...comments in other posts on this forum obviously are correct..its a touchy group of people here (wont say bunch coz that would upset the grapes)

I can't speak for others, but personally I only get "touchy" when someone who doesn't know me becomes so presumptive.

To Nigel: I'm sorry if this is getting "OT", but I couldn't let it pass without comment.

--Barry

#127703 - 04/28/05 12:05 AM Re: Casio WK-3500/Cubase SX 2.0 A question for an expert!
manic2257 Offline

barry, get a life!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online