SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#127444 - 12/27/06 03:51 PM Just got a Traynor K4 amp
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Super keyboard amp..If you are looking for something with punch and quality..Check it out..No bargain hunters..as in "cheap"..You will get what you pay for though...Yorkville is the parent company..
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=57&id=340

#127445 - 12/27/06 04:58 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
Dnj Offline

Good Luck with it......great specs.

#127446 - 12/27/06 05:55 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
how would it compare w/ Roland as-300, which has the
advantage of being in 2 pieces for lighter lift, even though
total weight is very slightly higher, and much taller, so sound projects from higher up. Roland is listed most
places for $1195, tho i got one loball at $995..how much is the Traynor?

------------------
Miami Mo

#127447 - 12/27/06 06:07 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
keysvocalssax Offline

Fran, also wanted to ask how is it w/ vocals?
no problem the vocals coming from low down? and what
made u decide to buy that particular amp? refreshing to see someone choose a single unit these days, everyone seems obsessed w/multi-speakers, subwoofers, etc. The concept of the sound coming from the performer (only nicely amplified )seems to have disappeared over the years in favor of so many trying to sound as if they are coming from everywhere with no particular focus, making themselves into the equivalent of piped-in muzak.

------------------
Miami Mo

#127448 - 12/27/06 11:19 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Does it have a good full range sound at higher volume levels? How does the tube input sound versus the solid state?

I'm just curious whether it would be suitable for using with a live rock band.

#127449 - 12/28/06 04:29 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
Fran Carango Offline

Sorry I didn't post sooner..
Nigel the tube pre amp works great,, not over done but warms up the sounds..The overdrive can be overdone..if you wish..

Mo, vocals are crisp and clear...it actually reminds me of the Bose tower..and no ..the K4 sounds great on the floor..no need to pole it...besides bass is always better on the floor..

Nigel at high volumes this amp is full..

I compared the K4 with my other amps in my studio..I was surprised...Plus, and Minus..Let me explain...

I am used to using 15's in stereo for more than 20 years...and you still can't beat the bottom ....

The K4 is touted to even kick with most 15's...it doesn't kick with my old Roland Cubes..It is unfair to compare the bottom of a 12 to a 15..when both are high quality..

Compared to say a Peavey 15 I think the K4 12 can kick the same..

The full-nest of the speaker. tweeter array..gives a full clear sound that I do not get with the others...Vocals are super..MP3's sound terrific too..

I compared the most underrated Roland amp..ever..The Cube 60 [keyboard]..this comparison has made me sell a lot of new amps..after comparing to the 60..

The Cube 60 at moderate levels has just as great sound, volume, clarity as the K4..

The K4 offers many adjustments to take the sound to another level..but for an overall performance , the Cube 60 is still hard to beat[38 pounds]..

The Cube 60 is Donny's on Saturday...

Will I miss it...you bet your bippy..

The K4 offers so much for my solo jobs..and a single 50 pound amp , compared to my twin 70 pound Rolands..could be a good thing..

If I carry a sub woofer the K4 could really handle any room situation for me...without a sub woofer, it still has the power and quality sound to do rooms..other than the Big Dance rooms, where I am use to 700 watt sub woofer..

My Rolands cover the same Dance rooms well ..without a sub woofer..

Overall ..so far I give this K4 a thumbs up.. and I am sure I will grow even fonder as I use some features..

It has a voicing knob, that is interesting..it changes tone and EQ to match certain instrument environments..besides a bypass, it has a studio setting, live setting, piano setting and organ setting..each is distinctively different..

I would suggest if you are in the market for a single stereo amp with guts, check out the Traynor K4..You should be able to shop around and get one for $700..

#127450 - 12/28/06 04:51 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks Fran. It sounds like something I should consider to replace the Wharfdale 15" powered speaker I am currently dragging around. The main problem with the Wharfdale is that between the frequency range of the 15" and the horn is a dip that affects my Motif piano sound particularly in certain octaves. I think I'd enjoy returning to a 10" or 12" because I don't even have to worry too much about generating bass frequencies in a live band with a drummer and bass player.

I did a dealer search on them and there are 2 dealers here in Ventura that showed up.

#127451 - 12/29/06 10:27 AM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
Fran Carango Offline

Nigel, the K4 will fix that problem for you..

#127452 - 12/29/06 06:55 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks, fran..
interesting about the roland cube 60..that's the ornge one, right?i used to use the smaller gray one in the 80's in bklyn...for my vocals and sax, way before i played arrangers..was a great amp..but that little double speaker GK vocal amp i got in '85 blew it away..and I still use it
up in CT in summer in small rooms even intimate outdoor gigs, , and it's great for kb too.
now i really wonder about the roland as-300, which i guess priced itself out of being a popular model..I wonder if the old cube 60 comparing so favorably to the Traynor would make the as-300 far superior?...oh well, with nobody seeming to have one i'll never know unless i spring for one with a dealer with a liberal return policy..

------------------
Miami Mo

#127453 - 12/29/06 07:00 PM Re: Just got a Traynor K4 amp
Dnj Offline

Where in Brooklyn? Thats my hometown
Coney Island!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online