SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#127256 - 05/25/06 07:42 PM OT:New Laptop doesn't support PCMCIA card??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
just wondering if anyone else has noticed some of the newer laptops don't support PCMCIA cards?? Isn't that the slot that is used for soundcards??
My new dell laptop arrived yesterday & I noticed in the manual that the PCMCIA card was unsupported.
No big deal for me as I have a usb nx audigy . I also took the option of intergrated SB Audigy advanced hd audio, in my new laptop( means I can use soundfonts etc & without having to use the usb audigy).

I suppose bit of a pain, if soon the only option may be to connect an external soundcard if one desires better quality.
Or maybe dell are the only ones to have done this??

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#127257 - 05/25/06 11:29 PM Re: OT:New Laptop doesn't support PCMCIA card??
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Rikki,

Most HQ-professional external sounddevices use Firewire (IEEE1394) interface and they work excellent/fast.
These devices (e.g. M-Audio) have way better connectivity such as : Headphone(s), midi IN/OUT, SPDIF-digital, multi-IN/OUTs etc.

#127258 - 05/26/06 08:34 AM Re: OT:New Laptop doesn't support PCMCIA card??
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
There is apparently new standard, called Express Card, which is a miniaturized implementation of the PCI Express standard, which has been used in expanding the desktops for a while.

The funny thing is that laptop manufacturers have started putting these Express Card slots instead of the PCMCIA ones, but AFAIK there are no express cards available yet.

I am sure that with time there will be a wealth of the Express cards manufactured, but for now you have to stick with the USB/Firewire.

#127259 - 05/26/06 10:45 AM Re: OT:New Laptop doesn't support PCMCIA card??
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I really depend on that slot for my laptop. I use a LaCie PC Card Firewire http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10482
to get Mac performance between the DAW and a LaCie external hard disk. This way you have fast enough (up to 82Mb/s)data transfer to handle big data libraries for softsynth plug-ins.
I find it strange thay build PC without the slot before the alternatives are ready.

#127260 - 05/28/06 08:55 PM Re: OT:New Laptop doesn't support PCMCIA card??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Guys,
I just thought it a bit odd & maybe that dell were the only ones doing it.
Maybe one day if I decide to get a proffessional card , I'd go for firewire.
At the moment I'm only using soundfonts, so what I've got will do me anyway.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online